About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Thoughts about Quitting   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Jan-30 by MachelleO; 512 views.
gkim

Jan-30

Machelle, what you’re feeling about sadness over not smoking is a feeling many of us also experienced. It’s like saying good bye to an old friend. That’s because we did it for so many years and in someways, we sort of counted on it. No matter. You are definitely ready because you are actively thinking about it. Making the decision to quit was the hardest for me. Of course then more difficulties follow with physical withdrawals and our brain telling us to smoke which would be called cravings. You sound like a strong person. You have to be. Quitting is not for wimps. It’s so easy to make excuses but you have to commit to yourself and do what you know is really the best thing ever for your life. Have you imagined walking around with an oxygen tank attached to you? My good friend once told me just very matter of factory, “you know that’s what’s going to happen.” It was not meant to be mean and what she said just kept haunting me. After I got my not smoking somewhat under control I went and saw my pulmonologist. She said there’s not a thing we can do not to get lung cancer except to not smoke. That’s the best thing we can do. There’s a wealth of information here. Educating myself was super helpful. I wish I can link sites but still not that savvy. I’m sure others will respond soon and give you plenty to read. You are ready. Now it’s just doing it!!

Lubbercat

Feb-1

Hi there.  I am just coming up on 55 so, I am just a little younger then you.  So, don't ever think you are too old for this because, you are never too old to quit.  And, you will never be this young again.

You have done a lot of thinking.  Make a list of why you think you should quit, this will be good for you to look at when quitting gets hard.  Start making plans for the times you know you always smoke that will help you get through those times that you know you always smoke.  If you go to the February ex-smokers tab, the moderators put links to tons of information that will be helpful.

As for feeling sad, you are quitting something that has helped you celebrate every good thing, mourn every loss, help every time you were angry and confused.  Feeling sad and learning new ways to deal with  things is a really big part of quitting.  

Post on here lots and there are many people that will jump on with helpful ideas for you anytime you are in need.

Good luck

Nope62

Feb-2

Welcome, you have come to the right place to talk with others and get advice about quitting smoking. It sounds like you are a very busy person. That can work to your advantage if you decide to quit.

You have been given some good advice by the two posters above me. I will only add a little more. Don't stop thinking about quitting. I'm 64 and I will tell you that the shortness of breath you are describing will only get worse if you continue to smoke! That statement is not meant to be nasty or mean. It is just a fact! I don't know of anyone who continued to smoke and their breathing got better!

Please give this a lot of thought!

MJoe79

Feb-2

Lubbercat - I find so much wisdom in your answers :) 

DanJF3

Feb-2

Congratulations on your decision to focus on quitting.  I see I am not the only mid to late 50s person in this forum.  I'm guessing it's the point where we really do notice some health issues and the worry about the future kind of robs us of the perceived pleasure that smoking has given us.  In reality it is perceived and not truly real.

I have been quit for over 13 months since the start of 2020.  You are absolutely right that quitting smoking can be a very sad experience and certainly emotional.  As I was halfway through my last pack it hit me that I was really going to make a strong attempt to quit and it almost brought me to tears.  The only thing that I found comforting was I expected to fail like I have on many previous attempts.

Online support groups really are helpful and please post your thoughts.  The first time I ever posted was on my first day of the quit and I came here to announce today was the day I quit and I was not especially happy about it and also I highly doubted I would succeed.  There was a lot of good advice and support which came my way.  The big thing was I read Allen Carr's book.  It have varying effects on everybody but if you haven't read it I would suggest it.  It helped me to truly realize that smoking is a killing addiction and that what I was giving up was in no way as good as what I was gaining.  After over a year without smoking, yes, I breathe much better, have more energy, sleep better and most importantly I am not angry with myself for being addicted to cigarettes on a daily basis.  The improved mental health and confidence is invaluable.  There are occasional thoughts of smoking but nothing to actually get me to do it.  I just live with and accept the thoughts and let them go.  

It's not easy but yes, you can quit!  Stay close to the forum and learn as much as you can about this addiction as you can and hopefully some day soon you can say you have found some freedom and peace of mind!

In reply toRe: msg 5
Lubbercat

Feb-4

Thank you.  I probably learned most of it when I quit for over 2 years.  You also need to stay constantly aware!  I was working 2 jobs, dead tired and living with a smoker, they were right there.......picked one up without even thinking about it.  That was almost 5 years ago.