About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

February 2021 Ex-Smokers - Start Here!   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Jan-31 by Terry (abquitsmking); 19888 views.
Nope62

Mar-11

Your doing Great!

Don't let the fact that you can't quit your NRT right now bother you.  As you said, "the most important thing for now is not smoking".  That's true, put as much distance between you and that last cigarette as you can.  Stop the NRT when your quit is stronger and you feel better about it.  You will feel a little better each day you don't smoke!  The cravings will get less intense and will also be further apart as each day passes.

Take Care and remember, You Can Do This!

Jatchat

Mar-11

Whatever it takes Suzy to not smoke, doing cartwheels on the floor, drinking gallons of fresh water, plastering yourself with patches as long as the end result is you don't smoke thats what counts, Sorry to hear about your toothache, I have a sore hip, persevere, whats the bible verse suffering, perseverance, character, hope

KatieKat84

Mar-11

Hi Suzy,

Thanks so much for your warm understanding message - I really needed a little dose of kindness just then so thank you! It’s true we are conditioned to think we should be naturally close to our siblings - but in reality it’s so hard for small disagreements not to turn into so much more because of all that history. 

Sorry I’m meant to be supporting you in your quit but instead you’re supporting me with my family woes ha ha!

Congratulations on day 4! How has it been? Great you were able to work through some tricky triggers yesterday. It’s like unpicking a lot of complicated stitches undoing all the associations with smoking we have embedded in our lives.

I saw in your post to Anthony you mentioned not stopping the nrt yet as planned. For what it’s worth I really wouldn’t worry about that yet. Well it’s great you want to be free of the nicotine and if you feel like doing it then go for it. But I wouldn’t put pressure on yourself to feel like you should ditch it at this early stage if it doesn’t feel like the right time. You’re doing really important work to get your quit established and I’m sure your lungs are already thanking you :) 

I also saw (sorry feel a bit like a nosy what’s it!) you mentioned the glamour/image thing of smoking being a draw. I used to like the rebel look (I was very straight laced as a teenager and this was my way to rebel!) But... trust me: ANYTHING that makes smoking seem like a good idea is junky thinking. By which I mean, if I offered you a tablet that would make you as glamorous as Marilyn Monroe BUT it would have a one in four chance of killing you, you wouldn’t even stop to consider it. It’s only the nicotine addiction warping your perception, trying to persuade you there are some perks. 

Ah so lovely to hear of the sound your son used to make. Funnily enough my daughter’s ‘protesting’ sound until recently was ‘diddlediddlediddle!’ (now replaced with ‘ed-ed-ed!’) Don’t worry I know it goes fast! Can’t believe she’ll be 2 in a few months.

Sending positive quit vibes your way!

Katie

4th March 2017

KatieKat84

Mar-11

Hey Anthony,

Congratulations on 2 weeks! That’s really great and I’m glad to hear you’re feeling the benefits. 

Interesting what you say about relapses and your curiosity about what one cigarette would be like. Hopefully you know from past experience there is no such thing as one cigarette! It’s almost that one cigarette *doesn’t even exist*. The only reason to smoke is addiction - an addiction that manifests as a long line of cigarettes, each one linked to the next in a chain. 

And you know who’s not curious? Non-smokers! You’d think they should be the most curious, yet they don’t seem to think they’re missing out and neither do we. 

I hope you can channel your curiosity towards what it feels like to get to one year quit. It’s way more surprising, different and enjoyable I promise Anthony.

hope I’m not sounding bossy/preachy. I just want to see you get well out of the nicotine trap. 

Not long til your op now! How are you feeling about it?

Here in the UK we’re all looking forward to 29th March when there will hopefully be some easing of lockdown. It’s been a long winter!

Take care and all the best,

Katie 

4th March 2017

Jatchat

Mar-11

Hi Katie,

All's good, yes I am perceiving some benefits from not smoking and they are beneficial to my health, the most noticeable being my breathing, it has much improved, when I was at my peak 40 cigs/day when I lay down at night my lungs used to crackle with the normal breathing, that has gone, when I climb the hill above our house I have noticed I am not so short of breath, and don't have to pull up for a rest.

It feels great to have two weeks smoke free and the days keep adding on, it only seems like yesterday I was putting my last cigarette out, thanks

I can't imagine wanting to jeopardize my quit at the moment, I feel so confident, but we all know that can change with an intense craving, I have my patch on and inhalator nearby in case of emergencies. Read and Post so all the Mods say, we have to keep the quit fresh in our minds and green and not lose sight of the reasons we want to quit, most of mine are health related. 

I recently had a chest X-Ray and it was clear, I can't imagine why, but I guess it was because I'm a shallow breather and was absorbing all the nicotine through my mouth cavity, I was using  Nexium for reflux, but I find I don't need that med anymore, another positive benefit.

It would be great to travel throughout the year feeling like I do now, not wanting to smoke, but I'm not so naïve.

Great to hear that you are enjoying your child at the moment, treasure those memories

Kind regards

Anthony

icandothis79

Mar-12

Congrats and I'm happy you are already seeing so many benefits! It only gets better.  It took me a little longer to notice improvement with regards to my breathing..... but I'm almost 2 years smoke free and I can definitely tell a difference now!! Keep up the good work.  Post,  post and post more.  I could not have quit without the support of this forum.  Stay strong

Jatchat

Mar-12

Congratulations on the 22months icandothis79, you certainly can, thanks for the accolades

Suzy2018

Mar-12

Hi Jeff,

I have felt a bit disappointed about not ditching the NRT when I planned, but what I'm thinking now is that it's helping to keep me safely away from the cigs.  I can breathe better already, I smell better already - and after all, there's no law to say you have to fight all your battles at once! 

Thanks for the continued care and encouragement.  I now have another one to put above my desk:  "I CAN DO THIS!"

Suzy

Suzy2018

Mar-12

Haha, Anthony - I'm not sure I'm the cartwheeling sort relaxed but you're right, whatever it takes not to smoke.  

I'm sorry your hip is sore, and I expect it's been hurting for a while.  I've only had toothache for a week and I've been moaning to anyone who'll listen, so I think you're doing a lot better than I am when it comes to perseverance and character!

Thinking about what you said about the 'just one' cigarette - that's been my downfall too - there used to be a quote doing the rounds on here a few years ago that said "There's no such thing as one cigarette - they travel in packs".  

Thanks for helping me, Anthony, and I hope you stay strong too so you'll be in the best possible health, not just for your op but for all the hiking around taking beautiful photos when you've recovered from it.

Suzy

Suzy2018

Mar-12

Hi Katie,

You ARE supporting me in my quit, don't worry - you've been absolutely amazing, and have really helped me.  I just know what it's like to fall out with a sister - spectacularly in my case; it's pretty bad - so I wanted to let you know that you're not alone, and give you a big virtual hug.  

I'm feeling better about the NRT now.  I'm also on a diet at the moment  (which is also, miraculously, going well - I've lost over a stone in six weeks) and maybe I was expecting a bit too much of myself to quit everything at once.   I've given up cigarettes, cake, crisps, bread AND cheese, so I reckon the lozenges and the gin can wait a bit?   My lungs are already thanking me, by the way - I was getting really wheezy and had a constant cough (to the point where people backed away from me in the supermarket thinking I must have Covid), but now they feel clear and wonderful.   

And I have another quote for my wall:  "ANYTHING that makes smoking seem like a good idea is junky thinking."    Thanks Katie.

Hope you have a lovely weekend, without too many ed-ed-ed moments relaxed.   My daughter used to wail "No NOT! No NOT!" when she didn't like something, but that pales into insignificance beside the time when we were shopping for food for her birthday (3rd or 4th, I can't remember - she's 29 now) and she started shouting "I want smoked slammon! I want champagne!" from the child seat in the trolley.   I got a lot of 'looks'.

Suzy