About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

February 2021 Ex-Smokers - Start Here!   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/31/21 by Terry (abquitsmking); 35279 views.
Suzy2018

3/12/21

Wow, Anthony, look at all those benefits after two weeks:

Clearer breathing at night - no crackly lungs (and who wants crackly lungs?)

Easier climbing up the hill - no need to stop and rest

Clear chest X-ray - and with not smoking you're doing everything you can to help you have clear ones in future too

Fewer medications - no Nexium for reflux

And I bet you smell lovely too!

Congratulations on two weeks of freedom. 

KatieKat84

3/12/21

Hi Suzy,

Ahh thanks for the virtual hug - sending one your way too! This does feel like a big falling out with my sister :( I hope in time we can work it out. Thanks so much for understanding.

Well done on your quit Suzy - you’re doing brilliantly! You’ve got through the week, now to face down those weekend triggers - you can do it. Do you have anything nice planned? (not that we can do much ha!)

So glad to hear your cough is much improved. It’s amazing how quickly the body can heal when given a break from the toxic fumes. I used to always cough at night which was very disruptive to sleep!

Amazing you’ve lost a stone in 6 weeks! Wow you must be very motivated making all these life changes. What a great thing to do for yourself. 
I hope you are still giving yourself other rewards/treats so you don’t feel too deprived though! 

LOVED the story about your daughter demanding smoked salmon and champagne for her birthday - a girl after my own heart! Today my daughter said ‘bless you’ when I sneezed - to me it seemed the most amazing thing ever. 

Hope you have a lovely smoke-free weekend,

Katie

4th March 2017

Nope62

3/12/21

I'm Happy that you got another day in! 

As I remember from your prior post you are using the Lozenges. If you notice the cravings don't last that long.  It seems like they are long at the time they are happening, but if you time them you will be surprised how short they actually are.  That Lozenge works just like the gum, it has to absorb through the tissue in your mouth, and then make it through your blood stream to your brain before you get any relief.  But it's nothing like smoking a cigarette.  When you take a drag on a cigarette it only takes about 8 seconds for the nicotine to get to your brain.

That being said, I wouldn't stress about being on that type of NRT for however long You Feel Like You Need It!  Of all the NRT's I've tried over the years, I prefer the patches, as they seem to keep the level of nicotine in your blood consistent over the longest period of time.

Yes, You Can Do This!

Suzy2018

3/12/21

Thanks for the hug, Katie!  Very much needed tonight, as I can't sleep, I'm worried about my son, and if I had tobacco in the house I think I might - would - smoke it.  Even though I know it wouldn't help anything, and how mad is that?  And then I'd feel ####, and then I'd wish I had some more, and so it goes on.  I'm very glad there's none here, and so the decision is out of my hands.   It's scary though, how fragile my resolve is. 

I'll be better after a night's sleep, I'm sure.  My rational head will be back on and I'll remember that I'm well into Day 6 and that that is, actually, pretty wonderful.  I'll also remember that ANYTHING that says smoking is cool is junkie thinking (thanks Katie), and that there are no pluses to smoking (thanks Jeff) and that I should plaster myself in patches (thanks Anthony) and maybe do some cartwheels as well (not quite so sure about that one, but I'll give it a go - and thanks for that too, Anthony; it made me smile).   The message from all of you is clear, though:  whatever it takes, just don't smoke, and I am really grateful for that - thank you all.

The bottom line is that I don't want to be a smoker.   I've been completely rubbish at delaying gratification for most of my life, but I'm not getting any younger, friends are starting to get ill and even die, and and life is wonderful and I want as much of it as possible.  I'm constantly fighting against the idea that the damage is done and so what's the point in even trying, but I want to feel free and healthy, and not be a slave to this #### thing that's had me in its grip for 40+ years.   I'm there, really - just having a bit of a rubbish time tonight.  

Do I have anything nice planned for the weekend?  Nothing whatsoever in my diary but I'm sure I'll have a good walk on the beach at some point.  And I will breathe in the lovely salty air, and be so glad that I don't smoke. I hope.

• Edited March 13, 2021 10:50 am  by  Suzy2018
Suzy2018

3/12/21

Thank you - I'm really happy too!  My plan (such as it is) is to use the patches to get off the lozenges.  The lozenges are very much a hand-to-mouth thing, like smoking, and I would really like to not have that!

Thanks for checking in with me. I really do appreciate it.

Suzy 

Suzy2018

3/12/21

Hi Katie,

I just realised that I didn't even mention any of the really important things, like sisters and daughters!  Please forgive me - I'm on Day 5 and so wrapped up in my own stuff that it's almost repulsive (at least till I remember that it really is all about MEEEEEEEEE.  After that I'm fine, obvs relaxed).

It's lovely to hear about your daughter too, and I can completely see how a little 'bless you' can melt your heart.  Just be careful with the slammon and the champagne and you'll be fine, I know!  Joking apart, I think it's really important to teach our children to enjoy things, especially now - pleasure is not a dirty word, and neither is laziness, sometimes - we just need to listen to what our bodies are telling us.

I've just said that like I know what I'm doing, and I don't.   But I do know that my body was telling me not to smoke, and even though it's early days for me, I'm SO glad that I don't do that any more - and you have really, really helped.

Sisters - well, I don't know.  Mine wants me to apologise to her husband but is not prepared to apologise herself for truly terrible things she said to me and Mike (Brexit related). I think I've held out some olive branches, but she thinks differently.  I feel really sad about it, and I really don't know what to do to make it better. Our parents are both dead now so at least that's not an issue, but if they were here I think they would be very sad.

Daughters?  You are truly blessed!  

Talk soon, and thank you for helping - you really, really have. xx

Jatchat

3/12/21

Thanks Suzy, sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it but if you make it through and you will  I have confidence in you you will be that much stronger.

Take care

and stay away from those cigarettes

Regards

Anthony

Nope62

3/13/21

Hi!

I just checking in with you. I hope that everything is still going well! You have a lot to be proud of!

I'm glad to hear that your breathing is improving. And anytime you can get off a medication is good news.

I am about ten weeks into this quit now. I wish I felt better about it. I'm still on the fence, so to speak. I have stopped, but I'm not sure I have quit. I've been told by other ex-smokers that there will come a time when I will know I have quit. I'm just waiting for that time! I've promised myself that I will shout it to the world the day I know. I'll just keep on not smoking for now.

Good Luck to You!

• Edited March 13, 2021 12:18 am  by  Nope62
Nope62

3/13/21

Great Plan! I understand what you mean about the hand to mouth thing.

I wanted to tell you that I have a message on a kitchen cabinet just above where I used to keep my cigs and a lighter. It says " Would You Rather Smoke or Breath". That's what it has come down to for me! I've really ruined my health by smoking all these years!

Take Care and Keep That Quit Going!

Jatchat

3/13/21

Thanks Nope,

I have made progress but it's early days just yet.

Ten weeks is massive and soon you will have 3 months now that will be something to crow about.

You are doing well and your support is welcome

Take care

Kind regards

Anthony