About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

February 2021 Ex-Smokers - Start Here!   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Jan-31 by Terry (abquitsmking); 29364 views.
boylant22

Mar-23

Suzy, happy two weeks!!!  So happy to log on here and see all of my fellow no smokers staying strong. I track my progress on the QuitNow app and am amazed at the following stats...as one might say, what a bloody revelation or what a wake up smack in the face!  Here’s to carrying on and never going back to that deep hole again

Since March 1, 2021:
21 days smoke free,
767 cigarettes down,
$277 and 3d, 04:42 saved!

boylant22

Mar-23

Anthony, your photography is so beautiful. How marvelous it must be to add the smells of nature to your gorgeous eye for it now that your senses are coming back sharper with not smoking. Congratulations on continuing to be strong!  What an amazing group of people we have here with such determination. 

Jatchat

Mar-23

Thanks Boylan,

Indeed we are blessed to be in such good company... makes the journey so much more pleasant... 

Loreficent

Mar-23

Yes, much more pleasant! So very happy you are carrying on Anthony. 
Have you found some things in that book helping? I think it helps me to really accept and understand that I am ONE PUFF away from undoing so much even at this point. Biggest mistake is to stop thinking about what we didn’t like about smoking. I mean really did not like. Human nature does tend to forget the negative things with time and let them go; it is a necessary thing for us to survive and not live with PTSD all the time about a lot of things. Stay aware of that natural instinct when it comes to smoking. It is not a protective instinct in that regard. I need to stay vigilant with this as it can be easy in moments to say to myself “oh, it wasn’t that bad and I know I can stop now, so just have one”. Well, it was that bad and stopping sucked, and truthfully, there are moments it still does. They are definitely fewer and far between. Now it is much easier also to recognize that call, name it, and carry on. I will always be an EX. I think understanding that addiction is for life is important. It took a bit to not be down about that. It is what it is. I can’t undo the fact I started years ago, but I can really use the awareness I have now of what addiction and recovery mean to keep me going. We all can. 
Stay in recovery with me Anthony. Life is better here. blush

Jatchat

Mar-23

Indeed, yes that book does not spare us the facts of our situation, we are all addicts one step away from using, thats why the NOPE is so important, our neural pathways are all wired to be hijacked by  just one cigarette, even though I am using NRT, its not as bad as ingesting 7000 dirty chemicals with each puff, I am happy with the path I'm on, any re-inforcing is welcome via John Politos or any ex user, all have valuable contributions to give. Here's to another smoke free day....

Loreficent

Mar-23

I used NRT too. I still think it worked best for me, though I understand the idea of cold turkey. Everything still applies to us as far as the addiction. Maybe NRT prolongs recovery, and I understand the risk of becoming addicted to the NRT instead, but I didn’t. Absolutely...way better than the smoking and if it gets one to point “B”, it gets you to point B. We can get there educated and empowered. I just made a list of all the things I remember not liking about being a smoker. Want to keep that memory alive. 

Jatchat

Mar-23

Great Idea, I'm with you all the way, whatever it takes..

KatieKat84

Mar-23

Hi Suzy,

Sorry to hear you’ve had some bad craves today and well done for staying strong. It’s funny how some days are fine and others really not when quitting. Was there a particular trigger? 

Your boat and sailing plans sound so wonderful! I also laughed out loud about ending up cold, wet and divorced (I’m sure that won’t happen). I love going for a swim off the boat, it feels like such an adventure. A few years ago I went sailing in the Hebrides and swam ashore to Tobermory harbour - when I arrived on land a little boy asked his mum “why is that lady wet?” :)

Thanks for your kind words about nursery and mummy guilt. You’re right it works for both me and my daughter so not much point worrying about it!

Love the story of you having crisps and ice cream for breakfast in your dressing gowns - lockdown anarchy! I’ve found my bedtime getting earlier and earlier - sometimes it’s 9.30 and I feel like I’m done. 

I saw on the March thread some of your old quit buddies we’re on here to mark their 3 years. I hope it wasn’t too hard to see that (as well as being happy for them of course). What matters is you’re a non-smoker now (and forever amen!)

Sending positive vibes your way,

Katie

4th March 2017

Suzy2018

Mar-23

Thanks Anthony, and I hope you're right.  I don't want to speak too soon but at the moment I feel very glad to be a non-smoker.  The cravings are annoying and difficult, but so far I haven't got close to actually going to buy tobacco.  I hope it stays that way.

I love that picture too!   Very calm and peaceful, and the view goes on forever.   Glad to hear the trauma therapy helped so much.  My son is currently having EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) sessions.  It's still very early days, but he's definitely learning some useful techniques to calm himself which he can use outside the sessions too.   

I hope the rain stops for you soon!

Suzy2018

Mar-23

Thanks for your confidence in me, Jeff, but I do sometimes feel as if I've lost my best friend.   I just have to remember that he/she was a terrible friend, that they were going to kill me in the end, and that I never want to see them again! 

You're right too though - I AM happy to be smoke-free; it's just something I'm having to work on to keep feeling that way.  Which shouldn't be a surprise, really.  No-one said this would be easy, and I'm still determined to keep doing the work.  But I think it's fair to say that some days are easier than others relaxed

How are you doing?   You can do this too, of course!

Suzy