About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

February 2021 Ex-Smokers - Start Here!   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Jan-31 by Terry (abquitsmking); 29396 views.
Suzy2018

Apr-4

Hi Lore,

Sorry for the slow reply – we had our ‘bubble’ friend round yesterday (single people in the UK are allowed a ‘support bubble’ of one other household at the moment) so I was cooking all morning, and drunk all afternoon – he is a brilliant guest and always brings champagne, which was a really nice treat. He smokes, too, but I’d prepared myself mentally and didn’t even wobble!  Good advice re thoughts of smoking, though – I will expect to have them on and off for a long while yet – the important thing is not to act on them.

Thanks for explaining about Hump Day – makes completely sense, although I don’t really have one either. Sometimes I’m working flat out, other times there’s nothing to do for days on end.  I like it that way too – apart from the domestic service I’ve been self-employed all my life, and I do find it difficult being told what to do (hence our rather chequered career as cook and handyman, probably - the lady of one house was considering getting one of those robotic vacuum cleaners on the grounds that it wouldn’t answer back)

What is it that you do, workwise? I have a vague memory of something medical, but I might have just imagined that. 

Being handy with a drill is a very useful skill, and I think crochet is lovely and don’t think of you as an old lady at all.  I recently bought a crocheted whippet from a craft website called Etsy and the lady who made him only looks about 12.  She is really busy too – there was a three month wait before dear Wodney arrived – so it looks as if crocheting is actually very cool and trendy!   I really want a real whippet, but we need to be a bit more settled in one place first.

So glad you found the Workaway site no problem – I love looking at it and thinking about all the possibilities.  You could be building a straw bale house one week, bottling fruit in a monastery the week after, and working in a backpacker’s hostel the week after that.

Happy Easter, and talk soon.

Suzy x

Suzy2018

Apr-4

Hi Katie

The swim sounds lovely again – patterns of the sunlight on the water and all.  You are clearly a better swimmer than I am – you bob up to breathe, whereas I don’t even like getting my face wet. I’m still tempted though, so maybe I’ll go for a paddle tomorrow and see how it feels.

It’s so nice to hear about your daughter striding around confidently – and what a huge change in only a year!  She’ll be on the champagne and smoked slammon before you know it relaxed

Re. my sister, I don’t like conflict and usually try to fix it if possible, even when it isn’t my stuff to fix. But it does feel so much less tiring if I step back and see all this as just part of the process – thank you (and your husband too).

The non-smoking is going well.  We saw a smoker friend yesterday and I wasn’t even slightly tempted, which was a huge relief.  I had tried quite hard to prepare myself, mainly by visualising how proud of myself I would be, and that worked really well. I ate a LOT of chocolate instead though, and I am three pounds heavier today.  How?  I didn’t eat anywhere near three pounds of chocolate, so it feels very unfair. 

It’s a strange thing, isn’t it, how this drug is so addictive - I mean, it doesn’t even get you high.  All it does is relieve the withdrawal symptoms that it’s caused in the first place.  It's a very bad deal, really – it takes away so much and gives nothing in return, and I’m glad I’m not doing it any more.

Thanks for the writing encouragement – I can feel myself getting close to giving it another go, and at least I won’t be smoking this time. No smoking, no editing!

Happy Easter Katie. x

Suzy2018

Apr-4

Hey Anthony,

Very glad to see you here, and how amazing that you forgot to put a fresh patch on!   

I'm sure your hip will be sore for a while, but how wonderful that it's done, after all the waiting and worrying.

Are you still in the hospital?  I imagine you are, but these days they boot you out very quickly, or at least they do over here.

Take care, anyway, and talk soon.

Suzy

Jatchat

Apr-4

Came home Saturday, two days in hospital, your right they don't keep you in long at all, No I was ready to come home, I was mobile, so why keep me there, Just had to pass the steps test and that was it..

According to my reckoning you are 28 days today that is four weeks, Congratulations, My how time has flown,

Kind regards

Anthony 

KatieKat84

Apr-6

Hi Suzy,

Sorry for my slow reply - and for missing your 4 week day!

Well CONGRATULATIONS on 4 weeks + 1 day!! How is it feeling at the moment?

That’s so brilliant you can meet with your bubble friend and not smoke - it’s a big test when it’s so close to hand, the junky thinking can set in “it would be rude not to keep them company” etc etc. What does he think of the non-smoking you? I’m sure he’s impressed and envious - hopefully it can sow a seed for him too.

ooh yes I hear you on the chocolate front. I’d given up sweet treats for lent so I was very ready for my Easter egg! Suffice to say it is an ex-egg.

Aww don’t beat yourself up about your weight - it fluctuates day to day for so many reasons (yes including choc indulgence but not just that!) and it sounds like you’re doing really well overall. Got to have a little of what we fancy from time to time. Just not what old Nic fancies!

Hope you enjoyed the Easter weekend. We had some good family time together, including going to church on Easter Sunday. I don’t go very regularly and my husband usually goes to a different church a bit further away. It was nice to go somewhere all together. Our daughter loved playing in the crèche - she kept doing little spontaneous dances on the spot - and we enjoyed seeing her interacting with another boy there. With covid we haven’t had much chance to see her play with other children so we find these little glimpses fascinating! 

Felt pretty knackered today and conked out for a long nap this afternoon (oops). One of the hazards of working from home.

Did you say you were contemplating a dip in the sea?? Oh please give it a go Suzy - you’ll feel amazing for the whole day! Just make sure it’s safe with tides etc and start with v short dips. It’s really addictive - a much healthier addiction than smoking!

We’ve just got into watching Death in Paradise on iPlayer - have you seen? I love a light-hearted murder mystery.

Hope all is well - speak soon,

Katie

Quit 4th March 2017

KatieKat84

Apr-6

Hi Anthony,

Saw you wrote you’re home already - good stuff. Hope you are finding a balance between keeping mobile and rest. How does the hip feel? Sorry I forget - was it a full replacement?

Hope you are feeling ok after everything and strong in your quit. Just think of all the oxygen in your blood helping your tissues mend :)

Take care,

Katie

Quit 4th March 2017

Jatchat

Apr-6

Bloody sore! excuse the French, but this hip is swollen and sore, I think the last of the anaesthetic just wore off, I would like to think that the oxygen in my blood is doing the  repair job, I just wish it would hurry up. It was a full hip replacement a new titanium hip, I hope we get on that there is no compatibility issues, lol...The physio gave me no guidance about how much walking to do, I guess I've done to much...I'm going to ring physio today

Thanks for your concern

Anthony

Loreficent

Apr-8

Hi Suzy,

Oh my, this is a really delayed reply! I’m sorry.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your bubble friend! I’m happy to hear it was good and you didn’t have temptation to smoke. I’m not sure if I’d be that strong? I’d like to think so, but, I do still have my moments where I wonder. How are you faring now?

It sounds like you’ve had a wonderful time with your work history. There is a lot to be said for being self employed for sure. And hilarious she wanted to get a robotic vacuum! My piano teacher has one of those and his cats just love it! One of the funniest things I’ve seen is his one cat following that vacuum around. 
How did you come to taking such a shining to Whippets? Did you have one at some point? They are sweet dogs. I hope you get one some day. In the meantime the crochet one sounds adorable! I’ve not made anything like that. I make a lot of Afghans and shawls. Scarves too. I love working with the yarn and it is interesting what working with different colors does for my mood and feelings and daydreams too, actually. Yes, there are some very trendy things one can make! It is also quite meditative and therapeutic. That was also an interest I had in Halifax; I had read somewhere that it was once the boom of place for wool. Not sure if this is or was true? 

Yes, I work in Medicine. I’ve not talked it about it much as I carry a good deal of shame for having been a smoker really. I certainly know better from that standpoint than to have smoked. I wasn’t in Medicine when I started. And I’ve had my periods where I stopped before. I also was totally in the closet, along with all the other closet smokers in Medicine.  I would shower in the morning and not smoke after, and not smoke all day. I was very ashamed of the fact I smoked and felt a hypocrite. Yet, I still did it for a long time. It’s funny as it seems that one can be an alcoholic and work in Medicine and it does not carry the same stigma as smoking. I tend to look at addiction as addiction regardless of the substance and am not quite sure I understand why an addiction to alcohol seems to be more “acceptable”, if you will, than smoking. Anyway, it does feel really good mentally and emotionally, as well as physically to be smoke free. I’m very honest with people now when talking about it and hope that my experience can help others come to terms with the addiction to smoking and hope to be supportive and helpful of their struggle with it. I’ve never felt that shame was a productive thing either, for anything really, and it is something that is usually quite damaging in many ways. I can’t say it came from others as they didn’t know I smoked. So, there are many layers to it for me, as there are for all of us who’ve been in this struggle of addiction. All of those layers I am most happy to be out from under and free of for sure! The freedom from it does a good deal to keep me going, but I also recognize I will always be vulnerable and cannot ever have “just one”. All that said, I still romanticize it here and there. What a beast! 

Have you done any of the work aways? You mentioned your son did. What country did he go to? There really is some interesting stuff there! I’d love to go somewhere and learn about Bee Keeping. That has been an interest of mine for a long time. My partner’s Cousin has Bees, and she is only a little over an hour away from me. I keep saying I am going to go visit and learn, but have not fit it in yet. Would be funny to travel abroad and do so! 

Hope you are doing well and plodding along nicely with your quit. You have done such a fabulous job under some strenuous circumstances for sure! Let’s keep going with it, shall we?

Take care and hope to talk with you soon! blush

KatieKat84

Apr-8

Hi Anthony,

Sorry to hear of hip soreness - I guess there’s bound to be some until it all settles in but your physio should definitely be advising on how much walking / activity to do! Hope you were able to get some guidance.

Have a great smoke-free day,

Katie

Quit 4th March 2017

KatieKat84

Apr-8

Hi Suzy,

CONGRATULATIONS ON 1 MONTH SMOKE-FREE!

Hope you are celebrating today. Just think how far you’ve come since apprehensively putting out that last cigarette. It’s such a great achievement and I hope you will just keeping on going up up up!

Big hug,

Katie x