About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

February 2021 Ex-Smokers - Start Here!   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Jan-31 by Terry (abquitsmking); 31746 views.
Loreficent

Apr-8

Hi Suzy,

Oh my, this is a really delayed reply! I’m sorry.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your bubble friend! I’m happy to hear it was good and you didn’t have temptation to smoke. I’m not sure if I’d be that strong? I’d like to think so, but, I do still have my moments where I wonder. How are you faring now?

It sounds like you’ve had a wonderful time with your work history. There is a lot to be said for being self employed for sure. And hilarious she wanted to get a robotic vacuum! My piano teacher has one of those and his cats just love it! One of the funniest things I’ve seen is his one cat following that vacuum around. 
How did you come to taking such a shining to Whippets? Did you have one at some point? They are sweet dogs. I hope you get one some day. In the meantime the crochet one sounds adorable! I’ve not made anything like that. I make a lot of Afghans and shawls. Scarves too. I love working with the yarn and it is interesting what working with different colors does for my mood and feelings and daydreams too, actually. Yes, there are some very trendy things one can make! It is also quite meditative and therapeutic. That was also an interest I had in Halifax; I had read somewhere that it was once the boom of place for wool. Not sure if this is or was true? 

Yes, I work in Medicine. I’ve not talked it about it much as I carry a good deal of shame for having been a smoker really. I certainly know better from that standpoint than to have smoked. I wasn’t in Medicine when I started. And I’ve had my periods where I stopped before. I also was totally in the closet, along with all the other closet smokers in Medicine.  I would shower in the morning and not smoke after, and not smoke all day. I was very ashamed of the fact I smoked and felt a hypocrite. Yet, I still did it for a long time. It’s funny as it seems that one can be an alcoholic and work in Medicine and it does not carry the same stigma as smoking. I tend to look at addiction as addiction regardless of the substance and am not quite sure I understand why an addiction to alcohol seems to be more “acceptable”, if you will, than smoking. Anyway, it does feel really good mentally and emotionally, as well as physically to be smoke free. I’m very honest with people now when talking about it and hope that my experience can help others come to terms with the addiction to smoking and hope to be supportive and helpful of their struggle with it. I’ve never felt that shame was a productive thing either, for anything really, and it is something that is usually quite damaging in many ways. I can’t say it came from others as they didn’t know I smoked. So, there are many layers to it for me, as there are for all of us who’ve been in this struggle of addiction. All of those layers I am most happy to be out from under and free of for sure! The freedom from it does a good deal to keep me going, but I also recognize I will always be vulnerable and cannot ever have “just one”. All that said, I still romanticize it here and there. What a beast! 

Have you done any of the work aways? You mentioned your son did. What country did he go to? There really is some interesting stuff there! I’d love to go somewhere and learn about Bee Keeping. That has been an interest of mine for a long time. My partner’s Cousin has Bees, and she is only a little over an hour away from me. I keep saying I am going to go visit and learn, but have not fit it in yet. Would be funny to travel abroad and do so! 

Hope you are doing well and plodding along nicely with your quit. You have done such a fabulous job under some strenuous circumstances for sure! Let’s keep going with it, shall we?

Take care and hope to talk with you soon! blush

KatieKat84

Apr-8

Hi Anthony,

Sorry to hear of hip soreness - I guess there’s bound to be some until it all settles in but your physio should definitely be advising on how much walking / activity to do! Hope you were able to get some guidance.

Have a great smoke-free day,

Katie

Quit 4th March 2017

KatieKat84

Apr-8

Hi Suzy,

CONGRATULATIONS ON 1 MONTH SMOKE-FREE!

Hope you are celebrating today. Just think how far you’ve come since apprehensively putting out that last cigarette. It’s such a great achievement and I hope you will just keeping on going up up up!

Big hug,

Katie x 

Jatchat

Apr-8

Thanks Katy

I have requested an appointment with Physiotherapist at local hospital, should hear today about time and date.

Enjoy your smoke free status

Anthony

Suzy2018

Apr-8

Thanks Anthony - I'm a whole month today!   It feels very strange - good but still strange.  

Glad to hear you're home, but sorry to hear you're in pain.  I really hope it eases off quickly.

Take care,

Suzy

In reply toRe: msg 318
Suzy2018

Apr-8

Thanks, Katie and Lore for the congratulations!  A month!  Wow!  

I've run out of time to reply properly now - it's been one of those days - but will get to it either later or tomorrow.   In the meantime, THANK YOU to both of you - your support and encouragement and humour has helped more than you know.

Suzy

In reply toRe: msg 319
Jatchat

Apr-11

Tel me about this addiction, does it ever hide it's head or is it going to keep nagging me until the day I die...just had a craving after my wife ducked outside for her cigarette, I came into my study switched on the heater and came online, I'm  safe here...

KatieKat84

Apr-11

Hey Anthony,

Keep going! Over time those craves will get fewer and further apart - the only way is forward, forward - leave old Nic in the past.

How many days is it now? You’ve got a great quit going and the good times are well within your reach.

Well done for taking refuge in your study.

How is your hip? Did you hear back from the physio?

Have a great smoke free day Anthony,

Katie

4th March 2017

Jatchat

Apr-11

I lasted for 3 hrs, then busted, I am going to bed, the battle resumes...

I  ended up in ED today, bruising all about the left foot, then an ultra sound to  check for clots, all clear

So sleepy today I couldn't stay awake.

Oh well put that down to experience

Thanks Katy

KatieKat84

Apr-11

Hey Anthony,

So sorry you had a bust :( but great to hear the battle resumes. It really is a battle but you will get there.

Sounds like you’ve been in the wars. Glad they’ve done the scans and found no clots. Rest up and breathe fresh air tomorrow.

Take care Anthony,

Katie

Quit 4th March 2017