About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

February 2021 Ex-Smokers - Start Here!   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Jan-31 by Terry (abquitsmking); 33280 views.
Cazza2468

Feb-18

Hey Missuz

how is it all going. Hope you are still hanging in there. Cheering from the side.

Caz

In reply toRe: msg 31

Hello February quitters. I thought I would drop a few kind words of support to all of you taking on this Huge Challenge. 

Quitting isnt for Sissies has been my motto throughout my own quit which started back in 2013. Staying stubborn and committed was my way through it. I refused to lose! I decided I would handle anything this addiction was going to throw at me and was determined to end my drug addiction once and for all. It was extremely frustrating at times as it is a painfully slow process.

As Smokers we have nicotine receptors that need to shut down and they don't like it so we get those wicked withdrawal symptoms. They will shut down in stages and you'll notice by around 4 months that the symptoms are not as strong and every few months more and more receptors will shut down, I found I had to stay super busy and I started exercising and going for long walks. Distraction is key to changing our constant thinking of cigarettes. This will also slowly fade away too.

I found by 14 months I was finally feeling free. I joined a gym as I gained 40 pounds with my quit. But, I decided to end my addiction and once I felt strong in my quit only then I was able to take on another challenge. I got strong and lost all the weight. I quit at age 58 and by age 62 I completed 3 5ks and climbed the CN Tower 1776 steps 146 floors. I started weight training and am healthier and stronger now at 65 than I've been my whole life. No one in my family ever thought I would quit but I showed them that I could do it and now I'm healthier and stronger than them. I just want everyone to know that no matter what age you are that quitting cigarettes is one of the biggest and best accomplishments you could do. I continue to challenge myself and I've done many more exciting things since quitting like learning to snorkel and I went skydiving. Life is to be lived and cigarettes just don't have a place in my life ever again and you don't need them in your life too. 

Good luck to all of you. relaxed

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Jatchat

Feb-21

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your timeless wisdom, yet again I embark on a quit, I  am doing all the right things diet wise and exercise yet can't seem to go much further than a month quit without curiosity killing my quit. I guess your example is how we can all achieve lasting success, an obstinate refusal to give in to temptation. I have my reasons typed out hanging on my desk to be reminded of  every time I sit in front of this computer, I am using two patches at the moment to kick off this quit, I still have my quit counselor who  I can access via text when I need her, The Quitline is also close by, just a phone call away, I have spent this last year quit more than I have smoked, just can't string all these quits together into a meaningful length of time... How do you kill this curiosity to have just one when to all good purposes you are committed to abstinence, I guess you have to dig deep, like you say it takes courage to face your demons. Congratulations on your quit and thanks for sticking around and supporting us 

Kind regards

Anthony

Hi Anthony. I'm so glad to see you are doing this again please don't give up. I just got my mind set on the 'never again' thinking. I hated the addiction and I sure didn't want my grandchildren seeing me puffing away and having that disgusting image as memories of grandma. It is an ugly habit sucking and puffing away on those cigarettes like a pacifier. 

I know how anxious I felt that entire first year but it does go away as our brain heals. We made ourselves like cigarettes and the addiction kept us hooked. I didn't want to be a drug addict anymore. I decided I will accept every single icky symptom this addiction would put me through. I smoked for over 44 years and it does take that entire year till you go through circumstances where you previously smoked. I had to change things and try new things to fill all that smoking time with more worthwhile things. Getting fit and strength training really helped me realize that I was capable of tackling new challenges and I lost all the weight I gained during my quit.  Life is better without cigarettes and I hope you conquer this wicked drug addiction once and for all. Good luck. relaxed

Jatchat

Feb-22

Thanks Debbie,

Wise words indeed, I have lost 32 Kg or 70 pounds since November 2019, getting ready for a hip replacement in April, I do 10,000 steps /day 5 days out of seven, keeps my mind occupied plus hip exercises and some weights makes all other effort seem worthwhile. I can't go back to smoking not that I want to, I have to cultivate that hate towards cigarettes that will make me not pick up another one. I guess the best way to do that is look at all the terrible effects smoking has on the human body, and compile a list.

Kind regards

Anthony

PeasantINC

Feb-22

quit on 17th Feb 2021. Its start of day 6 for me.

I smoke 17 sticks a day for the last 35 years.

a pack of fags cost USD10. Thats gonna be some significant savings.

Here are the things i'm shocked about

I had no idea the insomnia will be that bad. Its going to affect my work.

I had no idea the cravings are so 'constant' it seems like they don't abate at all. 

Thank you everyone for sharing your struggles, it lets me know what i'm going to be facing next. 

gkim

Feb-22

It does get better, PeasantINC. Hang in there. What you’re now going through will be all worth it and it sure beats getting lung cancer or other smoking related diseases. 

Dear Peasant under the Quit Stories & Journals folder I have my Deb's Quit Story and I detail my journey. If you read it you will see the different stages I went through and the progression of my quit. I tackled this addiction like a new educational profession. You need to Be very proud of yourself of taking this nicotine monster head on and tell him to shut up like Bugs Bunny did to Yosemite Sam who was always stomping his feet and yelling up and down just like the nicotine monster.  You can win this battle mind over matter addiction one day at a time. relaxed

Jatchat

Feb-22

Hi PeasantINC,

Congratulations on making your decision to quit, you are through the first three days which is crucial to your quit, just keep defeating the the urge to smoke one day at a time. I quit 21st Feb, and am 2 days in, I am King of the Relapsers I have not learnt my lesson yet, this time I am taking it one day at a time. Last night I had the urge but used the inhaler to quell my urge/craving.

Kind regards

Anthony

Anne2020

Feb-25

I hope you are starting to feel a bit better.  It does take quit a lot of will power to get past the first few days/weeks but soon you will find yourself forgetting about smoking.  Maybe for just a few minutes or a few hours - maybe you wake up and don't reach for the smoke like you used to.  But eventually but not long after the first week, a little bit of peace enters your world.  Over time, if you stay away from smoking, that small bit of peaceful time will grow and grow until it has finally taken all of your days, weeks and months.

Drawing cold air through a straw has helped a lot of people to get past those urges.  Deep breathing works well too.  

Keep in touch on this forum - post and read often.  Also very helpful.  Vitamin and Mineral supplements can also take some of the edge off.

Good luck - we are rooting for you all the way!!!