About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

February 2021 Ex-Smokers - Start Here!   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/31/21 by Terry (abquitsmking); 33475 views.
Loreficent

Mar-4

Because maybe all of our inner junkies really aren’t that different?? I know my addict very well. Lol. I think I read your story earlier though. My heart went out to you. I know what it’s like to have stopped for some time and go back. It feels terrible. 
But....we are not dead yet! Never too late to stop I think.

Enjoy your dinner! blush 

boylant22

Mar-4

Hi Suzy, I am new on this forum and only on day 4 of my quit.  I did want to share that I did the Allen Carr online series on day 2 (because I was struggling so much and was willing to try ANYTHING) and that really, really helped me. Since, I have not had the urge to smoke again...or at least not to the level where I felt like I was climbing the walls. 

In any regard, just passing that along as something that may possibly work for you. To me, it just made it click. But absolutely know and have faith that you will find the “click” that works for you. Good, good luck on your continued journey and I know you will do it!

Glammy2016

Mar-4

I now have 5 grandchildren. I started a bracelet and put a bead with there initial on it for 5 weeks. They ended up spelling out hotms or hot mess lol which is what I am. But I thought of you with each bead

KatieKat84

Mar-5

Hi Suzy, nice to receive your message. I'm sorry you weren't able to quit today as planned but I know how daunting it feels to launch into it. Good idea to regain your focus and start Monday. Maybe you could come up with a mantra that chimes for you, and keep saying it to yourself when things get tough. One of mine was "The only reason I want to smoke is to get the nicotine."

It's so hard seeing the struggles everyone has to go through the get free - just feels really sad, it's such a horrible addiction. I can really remember that split in my brain - on one hand knowing i wanted to quit, and on the other, the junky thoughts saying I wanted to smoke! Just take it one day at a time, know that some days won't be pretty, but you will get to freedom and it will be soooo worth it! Keep coming on here too - any time you feel a craving, just log on and reach out.

That's great you have some year-long quits under your belt. Do you know why you restarted again? Being 4 years quit does feel really, really good. Just the sense of peace and not being a slave to the cigarettes. I found the first year of the quit pretty challenging, I mean obviously the early weeks are very hard in that immediate way, but even after months I still felt I was missing out. I guess it just took a long time for my brain to let go of the idea that smoking was doing something for me. I can genuinely say now I don't miss it, and when I see someone smoking i cant believe that used to be me. I do sometimes dream I have started smoking again and I always feel full of dismay, so I guess that's ok!

Nice that you're in Devon - are you anywhere near the sea? I'm in London but we're hoping to move out to the countryside soon.

Have you read Allen Carr's Easyway to stop smoking book? If not i would recommend that. I don't think it's at all easy to quit but the book helped me to see exactly why I smoked, which helped me to stop.

Have a nice weekend and hopefully some much nicer smoke-free ones are on the horizon!

Best wishes,
Katie

4th March 2017

gkim

Mar-5

Glammy, you changed your picture. You are lovely!

KatieKat84

Mar-5

Anthonyyy! I think you were in my original quit group.

It’s nice to see you but also wish you could get free once and for all! Good luck with the hip op - and great it’s helping with the motivation. When is it?
Bub is very well thanks - she’s 20 months and keeping me busy! 
Are you still doing your photography?

I’d love it if I checked in next year for my 5 year day and saw you were celebrating a year quit. It could happen...

Take care,

Katie 

4th March 2017

Jatchat

Mar-5

Yes I was, my how time flies,, the op is on April first, come on!

Still doing the photography

Glad Bub is well, I would love to have a year under my belt, wow just imagine, it would be great, it is possible

Take care Katie

Kind regards

Anthony

Suzy2018

Mar-6

Thanks, boylant,

I have read it before, and you're right, it's very helpful.  Time to dust it off and read it again, I think, and thanks for the reminder.  I hope you're still feeling strong?  We absolutely CAN do this!  

Suzy2018

Mar-6

Wow, Butirflis - five grandchildren , that's wonderful.  And thanks for making me smile with your hot mess bracelet!, and for thinking of me.