About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Can’t Ever Let Your Guard Down   Quit Support

Started Feb-3 by gkim; 1553 views.
gkim

Feb-3

I have hit my 90 day mark and feeling or shall I say felt strong. I did realize today once again how powerful this addiction is. Just as I’m feeling I can start to relax a little, a strong crave hits me. My head said: I want a cigarette. But of course, I didn’t smoke. I’d be crazy to give up my beautiful smoke free days that I accumulated. NOPE!

In reply toRe: msg 1
Loreficent

Feb-3

Strong work GKim! 
Right...never let your guard down. So easy to talk yourself into “just one” at the point you are at. Well...no such thing really. You’re not a smoker now. Wave hello to those little thoughts, as you did, they are only thoughts, but keep that guard always up against ANY action on them!

muscleclapthumbsup

• Edited February 3, 2021 5:36 pm  by  Loreficent
In reply toRe: msg 1
Eve1973

Feb-4

No NEVER give up. I was doing something last night. And my mind said......take break, go smoke. NOPE.....I Had a nice talk with my mind and said I don’t do that anymore. Everyone is different on when the craves stop. But if you keep plugging along, it does get easier and much easier to dismiss them

48yrsmokin

Feb-4

It's been 15 months since I totally quit. WELLLLL in the last month in a half have been slipping . Like you said the mind is a powerfull thing and it never gives up at trying to get back to the things that you really enjoyed for so many years SMOKING!!!!!!!! It is a terrible thing. Yes but can give you so much pleasure at the same time.  My mind has beeen doing the same that it always has done on every other time of quitting. Let you have what you thought was a good deal. Then gradually chip away at your inner self to get you bak to a pleasureable place. Well after I've had afew smokes on and off for the last month I can't give up what I worked so hard to do. STOP SMOKING. I'll have an occasionl smoke then walk away for a week or 2. Butttt my mind always has in it an urge to have more. Hopefully it doesn't  win. It's a fight. Always has been.  So for now in my mind I have a occasional Bummed Smoke. Then feal remorse. Taste terrible Smells terrible. Lingering smell is nasty days later. Butt the mind doesnot give it up?????????   So I don't buy the first pack to start up.   Don't want to give up all the hard work for so long. There The confessions out. Didn't know what to do about it  so just posted This to see what happens

Eve1973

Feb-4

That is not good, I know from my past quits that what you just described is what happened to me. Then eventually I was back to smoking. Stop immediately if you don’t want to go back to smoking. Sit down and write all the things you love about being a non smoker and then write a list of things that you hated about smoking. You know and YOU KNOW that this is just the nicodemon trying to lure you back. Why why would you let it win??? Stop now and regroup. Stay close to the site and post just like you did. Which I’m proud of you for. 

48 years of smoking is enough!!!!! You need you to be here. Yell at yourself if you need to! Hugs  

48yrsmokin

Feb-4

Thanks Eve. I've been wanting to get back on here to talk about this but Didn't want to sound like a whinner.   But as usuall posting here always gets a response to get me back online with the goal. Yelling has already happened and it did help. The regrouping is something I haev to work on. Yep the little guy in my head- Nasty Edwin- never gives up on trying to lure me in. The switch never turns off completely. I've tried but it just likes to lure me back in any way that it can. So Yes I'm going back to the basics again and get my head back striaghtend.  Wish me luck. I've been looking at the posts on daily morning thing. Just took the right post to get me to say something about the problem I'm having.

Anne2020

Feb-4

Wow, so disappointing to let a 15 month quit  go up in smoke!  Yes, I said it 'let it go up in smoke'.  You are in control of you.  It's your mind.  There is no one else pulling strings to make your decisions for you.  This is more than a slippery slope.  You have jumped off a cliff and into the abyss.   You don't really believe you can get away with it do you?  Seriously - do you miss all the struggle you had for 15 months so much that you want to get back to where you started and do it all over again?  ONE - can take you there.  Let me be harsh here - you are crazy to take what you have accomplished for granted.  It won't be so easy to quit the next time.  

Seriously.    

Eve1973

Feb-4

Tell Edwin to shut up! Lol Seriously I know you feel like a friend has left your life......but not true. You dumped the “toxic” person from your life. 

I said recently that if someone told you that your husband/wife/friend was slowly poisoning you would you stick around to let them finish the job? NO! And we were doing this to ourselves. Whatever you do......just stop regroup and say to Edwin he needs to go away. Because you are in control now and you are not going to let him back into your life! 

This addiction is really tough, and yes you are a couple months ahead of me....... but yes I still think about it. But I know I don’t ever want to go back. Today I did the treadmill for 1hour (I have worked up to this) but I never ever could have done that a year ago. Think of your positives and also ask yourself why you are doing this now? Boredom? Anxiety? Pandemic? What? Then whatever your answer is, ask yourself how can I remedy this. 

Tell Edwin......Eve says shut up!

gkim

Feb-4

I don’t know about you but I really don’t want to lug around an oxygen tank. I think I would feel really pathetic because I knew what smoking would do to me and I couldn’t stop because I enjoyed it too much or that I wasn’t strong enough. If something is hurting me I have to cut it out even if it’s hell at the time. It’s short hell or very long and life threatening hell. 

SusanK1960

Feb-4

Hey Ed, I was wondering how my quit buddy was doing!  I’m sorry to read that you acted on the siren’s song.  I have noticed over the last month I have had more body cues/craving/calls, whatever you might call them.  When the craving hits, I have been snacking, which seems to cool the urge.  What Im saying is that the craving/cue/felling whatever I call it is still occurring and I was used to calming it with a cigarette.  I am thinking that call, that craving, is my body wanting something.  In the old days, that call/craving would be my body saying I want nicotine cause Im running low or because I was bored or because I was driving, etc.  Now when it hits, it is not because I am low on nicotine so I have to stop to wonder what does me really want. Please find a way to avoid the smokes.  Take care and visit more often!

• Edited February 4, 2021 11:37 pm  by  SusanK1960