About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

March 2021 New Ex-Smokers - Start Here   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Feb-28 by Terry (abquitsmking); 18405 views.
Suzy2018

Mar-22

Good luck Simone.  You can do this, and it will get better!

Suzy2018

Mar-22

Hi Brian,

Congratulations, and thanks for the inspiring post.   I so wish I was where you are now, and you've just given me a little more faith that I can get there.

Hope you're celebrating today - three years is absolutely wonderful.

Suzy

Suzy2018

Mar-22

Hi Lubbercat,

As Anthony says, you're still here and getting back on the horse straightaway.  I hope your Day 1 wasn't too bad, and that tomorrow is even better - as you say, working will help distract you.

Suzy2018

Mar-22

Hi Cindi, and congratulations to you too on three years of freedom - THREE YEARS!!!!   It really is wonderful, and you did it with your other half still smoking as well - just wow.

I love the fact that you can now say "It was so worth it" - that's really inspiring to all of us plodding through the fog.

Hope you're celebrating - you deserve it - and thanks for all the support back in 2018, and now.   I can do this!

Suzy

Suzy2018

Mar-22

Great that you made it through the weekend smoke-free.  Anthony, you rock! 

CindiS319

Mar-22

Hi Suzy and thanks for the reply.  My secret was I just got pi$$ed off... at myself, at big tobacco, at society in the 80s.... once I realized and understood it was an addiction I was fighting, I was able to arm myself with defensive measures.  I know that sounds kind of kookie.... but that was my ammunition to fight it.  Just like people find their weight loss demons to conquer...same thing.  I kept reading the articles, watching videos about how nicotine was a drug, kept close to my quit buddies (you being one of them) and it helped me work though it.  It wasn't easy by no means and I'm still surprised today that I was able to do it.  Jeez, I cried, I screamed, I ATE (bad, bad), I did everything I could to push through it....and thank God I made it.  I was so determined and it's still a miracle that it happened.  I started smoking at age 13 so I didn't even know how to function as an adult as a non-smoker (or even ex-smoker).  I would look at my non-smoking friends and think "how would they respond to this situation?"  I'm stressed, I'm bored, what would they do?  Go for a walk, go have a snack, go to the gym...whatever.  That really helped me get my mind towards the right place.  I had to teach myself to be a non-smoker and not reach for that pack for every little thing that happened or when I was bored or wanted to reward myself on a break.  Cigarettes are a DRUG, not a comfort, not a friend, not a relaxant, and it's tough...but it can be done.  Just need to stand tough, stay plugged in and educate...keep it logical, not emotional.  Sounds easy but its not.  Hugs to you and glad to see you here.

boylant22

Mar-23

Hi there, I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. The only thing I can share is the emotional roller-coaster is definitely a real thing...and I too have been plagued with an undeniable feeling of “something missing” that feels sort of empty and I just don’t know how to fill, this started for me late in week 2/early week 3.  I think it’s somewhat normal from what I understand and is attributed to mental tricks your mind tries to play on you.  But...with that said, I think it’s important to recognize that smoking is not going to make you any happier or bring your girlfriend back, if anything, you at feel worse because all of the benefits you are just now starting to see will start slipping away again. I unfortunately don’t have relationship advice for you, but I can tell you that it will get better and we are all here whenever it feels like you just need to vent, a friend, or any kind of support. 

Nice job hitting the 3 Year Mark!!! You and your fellow quit buddies fought a long hard battle of the 'just one' junkie thinking till staying quit became your automatic response. Way to go! I'm over 7 years quit and am forever grateful to this forum for having like minded quitters fighting right along side me and rooting me on. This forum has many successful quitters and your story is another successful one. You will inspire new quitters to just keep going. Onto year 4 for you. blush

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

BMann (bmann018)

Mar-23

Thank you so much for your reply. You were one of the "experienced" quitters that, (speaking for myself and others), were instrumental to helping newly quit smokers along the way. I still recall and embrace your approach to this addiction and most importantly that it gets better as we built quit muscles. The only downside to that is that time takes time.

One day at a time, then one week at a time and finally one month at a time we patiently chased the magic of a smoke free life. It was hard at first, very hard, then it got better, but only if we did not smoke. We all vented, complained  and cheered with one another on this forum, which was a critical therapeutic for me in this recovery. You were a critical part of that.

Nice to hear from you Debbie and I hope your and yours are well. As always I remain.