About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

March 2021 New Ex-Smokers - Start Here   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Feb-28 by Terry (abquitsmking); 18045 views.
Suzy2018

Mar-25

Thanks Cindi, and I love the idea of squishing the nicodemon.  I haven't had to squish him so much today, mainly because I spent most of the day in bed!  I felt a bit guilty about not doing anything useful, and the fact that it was a beautiful sunny day and I could have been outside, but I was just knackered, and I think it did me a lot of good.   And it's another smoke-free day under my belt, so still a win!

In reply toRe: msg 188
BlueDahlia29

Mar-25

One week tomorrow and I've done really well all week but tonight I find myself thinking about smoking and making plans to smoke tomorrow. I have spent most of my attention on my sobriety and the program I'm involved with, haven't read as much as I'd like on (not) smoking. Wanted to come here before I act on my thoughts.

Nope62

Mar-26

I know that we have not talked on here before, but I do read your posts along with the others. Please rethink going back to smoking!

In a few days I will have 3 months quit. I have quit multiple times over the last year. Using about every method known to man.

You have the worst part of your quit behind you! You have been quit a week! That's Great!

Your young and can avoid a lot of health problems by going through with this quit. Take it from someone who has smoked for 50 years!

Think about the reasons why you quit in the first place. Aren't they just as important now as they were when you quit?

What problems will be solved by starting to smoke again? Any problem you may have will still be there after you have given up your quit.

On top of that you will feel bad about giving up something that you worked so hard for.

I hope you rethink this decision and don't act on your thoughts!

You Can Continue on with this!  Your Stronger than that Nicotine Monster!

Good Luck!

Loreficent

Mar-26

Ooof....Blue. I’m glad you stopped in. I think it speaks to the struggle you must be having in your mind. Yes, the struggle is real. It’s ok to not have read as much about not smoking. You’ve gone this week and that has taken some conscious effort. So, if you’re thinking about going back to smoking, make that a conscious choice too. I’m gonna attach another excerpt from that book here for you. I hope you read it and think about the truth there and use it to make a conscious choice. It can be hard for us on this side, “talking someone off the ledge” so to speak. We never know for sure what tactics are most helpful for any given individual. Some folks do well with encouragement, some do well with just hand holding, some do well with a “tough love” approach. I’m putting this there with good intentions and hope it speaks to you. Remember that thinking about it is normal. Thinking about it is not relapse. Folks who are years out think it about smoking at times. I hope you will read this first:

We amend the law. We put ourselves above it. "Just once, it'll be ok, I can handle it." "I'm stronger than them." "A little reward, it's been a while, I've earned it."

Such thoughts infect the mind and feed upon themselves. Unless interrupted by reason and truth, our period of healing and freedom may be nearing an end. If allowed to fester, all our dreams and hard work risk being flushed like a toilet.

Instead of pretending we can handle" just one," such encounters demand truth. Before reaching the point of throwing it all away we need to be honest about what's about to happen. If this moment should ever arrive, try telling yourself this before bringing nicotine back into your body:

"My freedom will now end!" "I'm going back." "I can handle all of them, give them all back to me, my entire addiction, all the trips to the store, the buys, the money, and the empties." "I want it all back." "Go ahead, slowly harden my arteries, depress by life, and eat my brain."
If a smoker, "fill my world with ash, cover me in that old familiar stench, and let morning again be for coughing." If you vaped, "let me spend the balance of life justifying it, all the missing money, dry hits, and pretending its safe and a hobby. If an oral user, "take my hair, destroy my teeth, and put sores back into my mouth."[1]
"Put me back behind bars, make me an outcast, throw away the key and let me die with my master still circulating in my veins." "I accept my fate" "I'm ready to surrender!"
Loreficent

Mar-26

Here is a link to that whole chapter. It’s not too long. 
https://whyquit.com/ffn/14c-amending-the-law-of-addiction.html

The area at the bottom with the blue boxes has one that is “chapter index” I think it takes you to whole book. 

It’s a rough journey at times. You’re not alone though. blush

oxanquits

Mar-26

Hi Blue, glad you cam here in advance :) It is overwhelming to handle multiple struggles all at once, like you do with both addictions. Maybe your brain is trying to make it less intense, and the easiest way to do is make you smoke. But that's not what you need and I believe not why you came here a week ago. Please give yourself some rest, reward or just stay here for a while. You made it this far and you can make this night smoke-free!

• Edited March 26, 2021 7:50 am  by  oxanquits
BlueDahlia29

Mar-26

Thank you for your response Nope62. I haven't smoked.  Going to make a promise to myself that I won't smoke today no matter what. I think I miss having something to look forward to on the weekends need to create other healthier things to look forward to. 

BlueDahlia29

Mar-26

Thank you soooo much for taking the time to post and the link you shared I really do appreciate it. Making a promise to myself and this group that I won't smoke today.

BlueDahlia29

Mar-26

Hi oxan. It has been tough lately managing both addictions but deep down don't want to smoke or drink for that matter so I will stick with it. Hate the idea of having to deal with these addictions for the rest of my life but will do my best to just focus on today and today I won't smoke or drink. Thank you for your post xo

BlueDahlia29

Mar-26

Hi Mercy. Just checking in to see how you're doing? Hope everything is going ok for you.; xo