About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

March 2021 New Ex-Smokers - Start Here   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 2/28/21 by Terry (abquitsmking); 48964 views.
boylant22

4/22/21

Suzy, you are such an amazingly strong and encouraging person. You and Anthony have been so inspiring to me and I know both of you will succeed in the war, even if you have stumbled briefly in this battle. Life is hard and yes, just plain sucks sometimes. I’m so sorry for what you and your family are facing and pray that it gets better.  In the meantime, always here with a listening ear and will be rooting you on!

oxanquits

4/22/21

Hi Suzy, sorry for losing this quit and congratulations on picking it up right away. 6 weeks have already done some great improvement to your health even though it was not easy mentally. I believe you were struggling hardly with family stuff and that was not the best time to quit. I've been seeing several articles/audio lately which suggest that when you're trying to change your behavior (quit smoking for example), it is a good technique to think of it like a change of your standards. You wouldn't eat the food you dropped on the concrete of the parking lot where everyone was walking, or take crack, because it's below your standards. The same you can say about smoking, it is not an option anymore, you're a non-smoker, like it or not, make it your belief and think of it this way when the hard time hits. I think one article here relates to what I'm trying to say, don't settle for lesshttps://forums.delphiforums.com/quit_smoking/messages/3440/1

Suzy2018

4/22/21

Thanks Tanya.  I'm feeling better about things today.  I haven't been remotely tempted to smoke, as it really was disgusting - it actually felt completely poisonous and stale and just wrong.  I'm aiming to keep that firmly in mind this time.  

How are you doing?  Hope all good.

Suzy2018

4/22/21

Thanks Oxana, and what a great article - really inspiring, and just what I needed to read.   

Day 1 has been fine, and I'm really glad to be quit again (though still really disappointed in myself for throwing it away so stupidly).   Lesson learned, I hope.

We're non-smokers, hooray!  And it IS actually wonderful.  I hope you're feeling good.  How many weeks are you now?  

Thanks again.

Suzy

In reply toRe: msg 389
BlueDahlia29

4/23/21

Very excited today. I am 10 months sober and 2 weeks with no cigarettes. No intention of going back to either.  I work on my sobriety every day and go to groups with others struggling with addiction, this helps me tremendously. Even when I'm not here I am working on myself. An added bonus to my sobriety is I'm down 25 pounds and was just able to wear my wedding ring again after not being able to wear for 2 years because of the weight I put on from drinking, ecstatic about that. I know this is a quit smoking forum but I struggle with both alcohol and cigs.

KatieKat84

4/23/21

Congratulations Blue! You are clearly one strong individual. How lovely you can wear your wedding ring again.

Katie 

BlueDahlia29

4/23/21

Thank you so much Katie. Never used to consider myself strong, quite the opposite, but now I am beginning to see I actually am.

Suzy2018

4/24/21

Katie's right - you ARE really strong, Blue.  Congratulations on 10 months sober and two weeks smoke-free, and on being able to wear your wedding ring again - all of that is wonderful!

Hope you're having a good day today.  I'm going camping for the weekend - lots of lovely fresh air and no cigarettes!

Suzy

Suzy2018

4/24/21

Hi Mercy,

I'm just saying hello really.  I hope things are going ok for you.  I lost my quit, but back on it again now.  

Suzy

oxanquits

4/24/21

Hi Suzy, it’s a good approach especially if you have some experience quitting, you’ve tried both smoking and stopping smoking for some time, now back to who you really are, non-smoker. Please remind yourself that you don’t smoke and that’s what you want!

I feel ok with not smoking, just over 6 weeks.