About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

March 2021 New Ex-Smokers - Start Here   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Feb-28 by Terry (abquitsmking); 32671 views.
oxanquits

Mar-15

It is the same, when I was looking for the link for you I found out it's worse than I thought it is, so I am happy to be here. And yeah, sometimes the logic we create to make us do what nicotine wants is crazy.

Wow 10 weeks is huge, congrats! 

Mercy (mercy164)

Mar-15

Thank you for that awesome email . I am sick today and it was just what I needed to hear.

Mercy

10 days

Sadiebean

Mar-15

Thank you Anne for writing this! This is how I have felt in the past and hope I wake up tomorrow with that same thought process. These little, white sticks are just that- and not needed in life. 

Nope62

Mar-16

I'm very happy for you! Your doing a great Job of sticking to your Quit!

You can call me either name. I'll still answer. My real name is Jeff, the other is just a handle I thought up years back when I first posted on this forum.

I wish you luck on your journey to be free! 

In reply toRe: msg 2
Meg2021

Mar-16

Hello there,

I've smoked for thirteen years and will be quitting tomorrow. Have thrown my packs away and read up on it, and now it's time to get serious. Being in quarantine has increased my smoking, and I have used it as a way to mark time and socialize. A close friend lives across the hall and we typically see each other three or four times a day to light up. I've tried to quit many times, and the longest I went this year was two weeks. My partner is so supportive of me quitting and I want to live a long and happy life with him. I want my health and breathing to improve, as I've been congested and snoring at night. All that being said, tomorrow is the day! I'm excited for my new life and to break free. 

oxanquits

Mar-16

Welcome Meg and you can do it! This forum is a huge help.

Nope62

Mar-16

Welcome to the forum! I hope that you are still quit today. 

You are right about not needing those little white sticks in your life. The sooner you can get rid of them the better off you will be. They will cause you many problems if you continue to have a relationship with them.  I've smoked for fifty years and they have taken there toll on me.  I have a pacemaker, I have trouble breathing, and they keep my mouth sore. The heart damage is already done.  But after 10 weeks of not smoking I can tell you that I can breath better and my mouth has healed up, pretty much.  If I go back to smoking I'm looking at carrying an oxygen bottle and having part of my teeth and tongue cut out.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I think it is important for everyone to know where smoking those little white sticks will lead them. It's nothing but a slow form of suicide. If you keep your quit you can avoid all these problems and live a happier, healthier life.

Get your mind around this quit! Make a list of the reasons you are quitting and keep it close, so when you have a craving you can get it out and read it. To succeed you'll need to make a commitment to yourself to never smoke again. Others here will give you good advice on how to deal with the way you are feeling as go through your journey toward freedom from this nasty habit.

Take Care! Be good to yourself!

• Edited March 16, 2021 11:42 am  by  Nope62
Jatchat

Mar-16

Congratulations on your quit , the decision not to smoke is probably the hardest decision you have to make but it is so worth it, the evidence for and against smoking just doesn't add up. To develop the mindset to win at this game you have to see what cigarettes really represent, a slow suicidal wish, versus a life of freedom and health, Great work

Jatchat

Mar-16

Smoking is a no win situation, congratulations on ditching the cig, I wish you all the best

Jatchat

Mar-16

Without this forum I would still be smoking it has helped me to connect with like minds all over the globe and so reinforced my will to quit, Thank you forum