About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NOPE Pledge Monday 1st March 2021   General Chit-Chat

Started Feb-28 by Jatchat; 276 views.
Jatchat

Feb-28

The hot summer days giving way to the cooler weather of Autumn, what a perfect day to pledge NOPE one day at a time, until I reach the clubhouse, Day 3

Loreficent

Mar-1

Good morning Anthony 

It is now 7AM, March 1st in Portland. So this month we will go through this together. I see we have a bit of problem though as it is the wee hours of March 2nd for you! joy. I’m not sure it all matters as far as the date as, existentially, in this moment, you are there and I am here and though the man given date is slightly different, the nature given moment is the same for each of us. That may not make much sense as it is written prior to my morning ingestion of caffeine. At any rate, it is a beautiful day coming about here as we are moving toward Spring while you move toward Autumn, and I am feeling inspired to take and hold your hand through this NOPE today. You be ready where you are, I am ready where I am, and here we go! Yay! Which writing the be ready part reminds me of a favorite poem of mine that I will dig up later and send to you as I think it will give you strength. 
I hope you have a beautiful, peaceful day there and I will be here if you need me. blush

Jatchat

Mar-1

Thank you Lore for joining me on this journey, suffice to say two's company, three's a crowd, not that I'm averse to crowds. the more people who join in the better, I am about to click over to four days of abstinence from the afore mentioned cigarette, and I am happy to say so. As for the season, Autumn  is the time for shedding leaves and so I will shed some old habit/addiction in favour of a new beginning, freedom. It's a bit like Lent a religious time prior to Easter where we voluntarily surrender a way of behaving in light of a common good. 

Thank you for offering me your hand, I gladly accept your hand of friendship as we skip along to the freedom music, looking forward to your poem.

boylant22

Mar-1

Hello everyone!  I am a March 1 day 1 ex-smoker as well. Interested in the methods you all are using to quit?  I have been taking Wellbutrin in prep for 6 weeks and am also using gum replacement therapy.  Day 1 wasn’t completely awful, but I definitely had some trigger moments - first waking up and being in the car were my most difficult times. I found deep breathing to be very helpful.  My biggest challenge has been feeling very jittery and irritable during craving times. 

Loreficent

Mar-2

Hello Boylant!

Welcome. Well done on day 1 down. I’m glad you found the forum. It’s been key for me. So being on the Wellbutrin for a few weeks shows you’ve put some thought and planning into this, which is fantastic. I used nicotine patches and gum. Those and being here were the most helpful combination for me. I stayed on each phase of the patch about 2 weeks longer than the box said. The gum fell by the wayside after about a month or so. There are quitters here of all kinds; cold turkey, NRT, Chantix, Wellbutrin. Whatever works for each individual is worthwhile and valid. A huge part of getting through it is coming to terms with being an addict and educating ourselves on all the aspects of that. Have you checked out the “March 2021 New Ex Smokers Start Here” folder at the top left? I highly recommend it! The first post by the Forum Host, Terry, has a spot about midway through called “Homework for new quitters” or something like that. If you click on that it opens a whole library of in incredibly useful articles. Read through a few day, or click on there when you have a craving and find one to read to educate yourself about the journey. They are all only a page or so and very readable. 
Post on here as much or as little as you are moved to, a d especially if you are having a tough moment. Someone is always ready to jump in and lend a hand.

Stay strong, ride the waves, and let us know how it’s going!

Jatchat

Mar-2

Hi Boylant,

Welcome to the forum, you have joined the greatest quit support forum on the planet, as for methods I am using patches and an inhaler, they have served me well over this quit, and numerous others, perhaps I am not the best person to ask about a sustained quit, because I keep relapsing, but you learn something with each attempt, Post Post Post, stay in touch with like minds and read read read all you can about the addiction, an educated quit is your best defence. Drink plenty of ice cold water through a straw and exercise if you are able, distraction is a great key, when a craving surfaces change what you are doing and go on to something else, or ride the wave as Mod Dee used to say, imagine the craving like a wave and you are surfing the wave until it peters out on the shore. Have your day planned out in front of you, in other words keep busy I find that helps. Whatever path you choose I wish you all the best Boylant, hope to see you around