About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

4 years today!   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Mar-4 by KatieKat84; 688 views.
KatieKat84

Mar-4

Just wanted to check in today as it's been exactly 4 years since I quit smoking! This forum was such a help through the first year. For everyone battling to get free from this awful addiction - KEEP GOING! It is HARD but more worth it than you can possibly imagine while you're in the grips of old nic.

Whenever I felt like I might cave I told myself:

ANY thought that says it's a good idea to smoke is junky thinking.

The ONLY reason I want a cigarette is because I am addicted to nicotine.

Also, someone on this forum once said: some days it's enough that you just don't smoke.

Keep on noping - you can get free!

Katie

4th March 2017

Eve1973

Mar-4

Hi Katie, thanx for coming back to share!

It definitely is a rough and tumble road to freedom! I’m a little over a year right now, smoke free and I definitely DO NOT ever want to go back.....but still having the junkie thinking and occasionally craves! Just wondering if you remember when it goes away? 

Congratulations on 4 great years! And continued success!

Eve 1/30/2020

• Edited March 4, 2021 12:03 pm  by  Eve1973
Anne2020

Mar-4

Hi Eve, not to break in but, from what I've seen and read - even those with years of quit behind them,  still pick it back up.  I think the junkie chat and odd crave stays with you for life.  I have a friend who quite well over 20 years ago and he still misses his after dinner smoke.  So, I think we just have to get used to the fact that we will never be pure and totally rid of having been a smoker.  In other words, we are always an x-smoker which means we are always vulnerable to caving into a crave.

But we can be pure of spirit and carry on without giving in for the rest of our lives, if we so chose.  

Cheers!

Eve1973

Mar-4

My thoughts......that SUCKS! Lol, but makes sense thanks!

KatieKat84

Mar-5

Hi Eve, good to hear from you! Congratulations on your quit :-)

I agree that once you have been a smoker you can never let your guard down. But for me, after about 2 years of my quit I really felt a shift and like I wasn't being deprived any more. Even over the third year things were changing, improving - really it just keeps getting better! So I would say don't be disheartened if you still miss it. Sometimes it takes a long time for our brains to let go of the illusion that smoking was doing something for us. 

I found it helped to observe anyone I saw smoking - they never look like they're having a particularly nice time. The reality of smoking does not live up to images we build around our addiction.

All the best,

Katie

Eve1973

Mar-5

Katie 

Thanx for your insight! And I will definitely take it day by day, but know that one day it will subside! 

I did this to myself for approximately 30 years so my brain definitely needs to get with the program....lol. 

Thanx again! Eve

KatieKat84

Mar-5

Wow Eve, congratulations on your quit after 30 years in the trap! I smoked for 15 years. It definitely does take time to cut all those old associations. Make sure you do something special for your 2 year anniversary. I bought myself a vintage ring as a physical symbol to celebrate. 

It’s a long process getting free - you’re well on the path and it does get better and better .

best wishes,

Katie

4th March 2017

gkim

Mar-5

I saw this post right after I posted saying today is my four months (3/5/21) quit and how  excited I am. You have four years! You must be four times more excited than me, well you know what I mean. Congratulations. I hope to reach four years, too!

davidz1965

Mar-22

congrats Katie!   "some days it's enough that you just don't smoke."   I like this.   I have had some days like that and I am always glad at the end of the day that I just didn't light a cigarette.

David Z

Wow nice job! Hitting your 4 year milestone is pure joy. You are another successful quitter. Be proud to have cigarettes no longer control you. I always found this pay it forward experience the best way to just keep going forward one day at a time. Onto year 5 for you. blush

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013