About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NOPE Pledge, Wednesday 24th March 2021   General Chit-Chat

Started Mar-23 by Jatchat; 1188 views.
Jatchat

Mar-23

Hi Guys,

I am so blessed to be in such good company.

I pledge NOPE today, please join me...

oxanquits

Mar-23

Hi Anthony, it's still 23rd here but tomorrow is my bd and I already want to pledge NOPE on that day. Happy to find this page and all people here. Keeping it strong..

Jatchat

Mar-23

Congratulations for tomorrow (your time), How blessed you are being smoke free on your bd, on any day really

Loreficent

Mar-24

Good afternoon for you Anthony!

Jumping in early with my NOPE before I go to bed. Hope you day has been lovely. See you when I wake up!

Loreficent

Mar-24

Happy Birthday Oxana!!!starrosefour_leaf_cloverblossomblush!

Its just past midnight here so officially your birthday US West Coast time. I think your several hours in already though. I hope you are enjoying your wonderful day! Now you have 2 very special days so far this year; your birthday and your RE- birthday, which is your day you stopped smoking and started recovery! Yay! 
You are doing a fantastic job working through this and I hope your celebration is even more special because of it this year!

Jatchat

Mar-24

Not a bad day, I didn't smoke, its 7pm here, the more I read of JP's article the more convinced I am that I should get rid of the patches and inhalator, what do you think, there is that study he quotes where only 8% of NRT users successfully give up long term. I don't know, I am sailing along with no critical smoking events emerging, so what do forum users think?

Loreficent

Mar-24

Hmmmm...

I understand that desire. Reading the book had me looking back at my quit too. I think the biggest reasons for the strong encouragement of no NRT are, one, the possibility of not ever getting off it as some do, and two, the prolonged withdrawal. NRT is designed to be weaned down, so it does drag out the physical withdrawal of nicotine. 
I think if you do, be very careful about the junkie thoughts. If I were earlier in my quit reading all this, I’d be very tempted to rip my patch off, not have a piece of gum, etc. I also know my addict pretty darn well enough to at least know...that piece of me can’t be trusted. I think I would soon be talking myself into having a smoke so that I could start over again and “do it the right way”. Yup. I can hear it now. Honestly?? I’ve had that fleeting thought a few days ago! It was brief and I immediately called it out for what it was...addict thinking. Yup. I thought to myself “oh, you did this wrong a year ago and should have gone cold turkey so maybe have one and start over”. Absolutely insane, right? Of course it is! 
What this reading has done the most for me is, really cementing the knowledge that ONE PUFF , yes, I am just one puff away from being a smoker again. I’m really truly starting to know that. 
Stay the course you are on for now, for today, and let’s keep talking about this. Do commit to the plan you have with your counselor, perhaps write it out if you haven’t, about how and when you will step down on dose, etc. Think now about how you have a plan in action and the plan includes eventually not having nicotine at all. Just don’t smoke Anthony. We really are addicted for life. That’s ok. As long as we do not have one puff, we are not smokers. 

Honestly Anthony, I don’t think the data is a whole lot better for cold turkey quit method either. I just read an NIH article the other day that said NRT is touted as “doubling chances of quitting “, but the reality is it is about equal with cold Turkey with roughly both groups success rate being about 8% at one year. I’ll dig that up later today and send it along. So, the beef is with makers of NRT claiming higher success rates not being true. 
Focus on NOPE today. Stay in the moment, stay on course, this is the farthest you’ve come for a bit and it is so wonderful to have you here! 
None of us here would have that very first cigarette knowing what we know now, years later. That we likely all agree on. 

More soon! 

Eve1973

Mar-24

Happy Birthday! Yesterday was mine! ARIES are stubborn people! Be stubborn with your quit and yell at the cravings!

I will pledge nope with you and all the great people here! You can do this!

Jatchat

Mar-24

Thanks Lore,

Yes the data, what does the data say? John is quoting from a 2000 study, there is later data, I must research that, they recommend a mix of counselling and medication, but what does the data say, You have given me food for thought...Meanwhile no thoughts of smoking.

Loreficent

Mar-24

So, what I’ve been reading so far is that it’s pretty close at one year mark between cold turkey and nrt. The internet is a funny thing and one can likely find rationale to support things in one light vs another with most things. 
I think John pushes cold turkey as it gets withdrawal over and nicotine out of the system quickest. 
One year abstinence rate between the two groups hovers about 7-8%. It does go up when one is receiving support, such as this forum, or counseling, etc. Truth is, this is a wicked tough addiction and the odds of success for anyone aren’t high. This speaks to the addiction, not the individual. The beauty is in that we each can choose to beat those odds. Even 1% or half percent would mean it is doable! 
I think if I were given a cancer diagnosis (I pray I never am!) and was told the odds of death are 95% at 5 years, the first thing I would be asking is what did the surviving 5% do?
So...we ask ourselves, what did the 7-8% do to stay not smoking at one year? They did not take one puff. Period. That truly is the bottom line. So, no matter which method used, the one common thread of success is just one single puff. Lean in, dig deep, batten down the hatches, weather this storm no matter what. Educate ourselves some every single day and stay vigilant. While doing that we also get to celebrate and be so happy we are gifting ourselves a very sought after treasure. I have not met a smoker in a very long time that does not want to stop. 
Don’t get hung up on using NRT. Take it in stride with the book and know that all that information applies to the addiction. There is so much in there that is helpful in understanding all of it, and that is what matters. I firmly believe an educated quit is the biggest determining factor of success, not the method of the quit. We all have all of those things in the book in common as addicts regardless of our stopping method, and keeping that information forefront is vital. Recognize the addict and embrace recovery. Right here with you Anthony as far as being one puff away from being a regular user again. So, today, we will not take that puff! Yay!

I do think the makers of NRT like to fluff the stats a bit, but, it still helped me and I don’t regret using it to get where I am now.