About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NOPE Pledge, Monday 29th March 2021   General Chit-Chat

Started Mar-28 by Jatchat; 411 views.
Jatchat

Mar-28

Yes it's a brand new day, NOPE for today, trust  you are all well, join me

Kind regards

Anthony

oxanquits

Mar-29

Hi, I survived weekend with friends  without smoking, so that’s small victory. Today is a new day and I say NOPE one more time.

In reply toRe: msg 2
Loreficent

Mar-29

Good morning Oxana! Lovely to see you here!

I was just writing to a friend elsewhere on here of the power and importance of committing to ourselves, and the power in particular of committing to ourselves that we will come here and post for support before we smoke. It saved me once, and recently saved beautiful Blue Dahlia too. Often we get caught up in the moments just prior, planning our slip actually, and taking the steps to make it happen, that we ignore the little twinge in our guts that is trying to pull us away from it and the addict voice becomes overshadowing of the wiser voice holding us back. I use the term overshadow because I firmly believe overpower is not appropriate. The addict is not something or someone outside the rest of our minds that has any more power than the other pieces of our puzzle of a psyche. It is a piece integrated within our minds that has been allowed to become a piece our wiser mind has at times viewed as more powerful. Reality is, the addiction piece has been allowed to run amuck and control desires and thoughts that it cannot manage in other ways. It is still a very trainable piece of us and we are retraining it with recovery. So if anyone feels that pull, and feels themselves caving to the crave, come here first no matter what. Come and allow yourself the support and comradeship that your wise mind really needs in that moment. All you gotta do is post and wait. Breathe and let the wave crash. It may take a wave or two, but allow yourself the grace and time and patience to wait for a reply or three. It works, and that is why the addict piece does not want you to take this step. But...the freedom really and truly is so worth it and the empowerment that comes from overcoming...well...it just can’t be beat! blush

Oops! Got off on bit of tangent and forgot to pledge my NOPE! Here’s to the day, folks! 

CC to oxanquits
oxanquits

Mar-30

Hi Lore, of course I am here and what you wrote is exactly what helped in my case too. I think what was different this time I quit was not hating my addiction, but seeing and accepting it. When I felt the urge to smoke I would always come here first and just be here, read or post. Those simple steps made the work as of now. Thank you for sharing your observations and thoughts, they are always so meaningful.   

Loreficent

Mar-30

Hi Oxana,

Thank you for the kind words. Made my morning. Where are you? I’m always trying to figure out what time it is where people are. Anthony so far has the biggest difference from me with 18 hours ahead I think. 
So is the quitting better now? It is such an odd thing really, smoking. Sometimes I wonder how or who ever first thought of doing something so unnatural? 
Anyway...glad you’re doing well! Have a wonderful day there.

Jatchat

Mar-30

Well done Oxan

oxanquits

Mar-30

I'm in Europe (Poland), in the middle, 9h ahead from you and 9h before Anthony. The quitting is better, but I put on hold or avoided some things which would stress me grimacing so some real-life tests are still waiting. I would say it's not only odd, it is unfair that smoking exists... not everyone can see what it is actually doing to us. 

• Edited March 30, 2021 5:23 pm  by  oxanquits
Loreficent

Mar-30

Yes...I agree. There is a reason Big Tobacco preys on young, easily influenced and vulnerable people. The chances of hooking them into addiction is high and this means more money for their coffers. Ugh! 
I just took the survey that was put on here under General Chit Chat. I’m sure the mods will remove it soon, but it was interesting. When it asked about moods before, during and after smoking, I had to do it from memory as a smoker, but it was interesting that all the boxes I checked about emotions before smoking, were still checked for the question about after smoking. This showed me that smoking did not really change my emotions or mood or feelings at all! I think if we are honest about this with ourselves, most folks will see and know that is true. Smoking didn’t fix any down mood or negative emotions or angry moment or any of it. Generally, I felt worse for having had to deal with things by having a cigarette!!

My friend was to visit Poland this September, but she postponed the trip. She figured things may not be settled enough and didn’t want to find out last minute she either couldn’t go, or that she would go and not be able to see or do things she wanted to yet. 
Glad you are staying the course Oxana. It’s nice to have you here! blush

oxanquits

Apr-1

Loreficent said:

Big Tobacco preys on young, easily influenced and vulnerable people

exactly, when I was at school I was very clear on why it's bad to smoke (and to drink), so I didn't try it till very late age. But then this knowledge faded somehow together with external influences. Now I feel like coming home (the book you shared says it too) innocent Smoking didn't fix anything for me too, it might have seemed like it did at the moment, but it didn't. In the long term it made things worse, now I feel more in control of my life than before.

In September Poland was relatively open, but not for a long time neutral_face it's better to come later probably. Was she going to visit just 1 country?