About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rough time   Quit Support

Started Apr-2 by Mercy (mercy164); 2720 views.
Mercy (mercy164)

Apr-2

Hi,

I started to feel a bit better from the covid which is great because I thought I would go crazy spending any more time sick. It was 5 weeks of being bedridden. 

Yesterday I was picking up bread and I planned to get a cig. The way over I realized it and prayed. I didn't smoke but I got scared. This is the same point in evert quit where things go wonky for me. I just wanted to share this and let you all know that I am a bit shaky.

Mercy

28 days

MartiJB

Apr-2

Wow your smoke junkie is digging its claws in.  You were just talking to me about how positivity really helps with your physical and mental issues.

If you look at this shaky period from a positive point of view you can see 2 things really clearly:

1.  You didnt give in . You won. You dont have to look at it like your struggling...look at it as you are winning one crave at a time.  Wayto go!!

2.  You are reaching out for help.  You prayed, you posted here. This means you really want to quit. 

Remember your reasons for quitting.  You can ride this wave out. You have already quit. Don't let that nicotine monster convince you to fall back into a place that you have already stepped out of.

You said this is the time period where in the past  you have gone back to smoking.  Well girl, that was yesterday and we cant change it but you get to choose your today and your future. You are going to get through this moment, this crave, this day. You are going to be released from the chains of this addiction. You just have to do it moment by moment

I believe in you.  Take the chance and believe in yourself.

Marti

oxanquits

Apr-2

Hi Mercy, cravings come unexpected, yesterday I was happy and relaxed celebrating my 3 weeks and today I am like you actually. Let's not do it. I try to think of it as a healing process, every craving we beat makes us healthier and closer to freedom. Every craving is the opportunity to understand yourself better, to ask yourself "what can I do for you?", be your own parent/friend. And I keep in mind Annas comparison of crack addict too grimacing We're stronger and better than this. Sending prayers for you and hope you're ok.

• Edited April 2, 2021 12:47 pm  by  oxanquits
KatieKat84

Apr-2

Hi Mercy,

It can be scary to get that close to smoking. The most important thing is you DIDN’T smoke - you showed yourself a desire to smoke is not a command to smoke, you always have the final say.

Great that you were able to pray for strength.

Keep going and you will find peace as a non-smoker.

All the best, Katie

quit 4th March 2017

Mercy (mercy164)

Apr-2

It is scary again now. I am trying to breathe and work through it. 

Mercy

Mercy (mercy164)

Apr-2

Thank you. I  sitting in a car freaking out for a cig and this was just what I needed to hear 

Mercy

KatieKat84

Apr-2

Just focus on getting through today - go to bed a non-smoker and you win.

Take long slow breaths, that will help to calm you.

We’re all willing you on!

Katie

Loreficent

Apr-2

Beautiful day here Mercy. Can you take a little drive with the windows down and just soak it in some? Ride it out. You said what has happened before at this time frame, so let’s find out what it’s like getting beyond it. You can do this. Stay in the moment, enjoy the sun a little. This wave will crash to shore. Craves pass whether we smoke or not. 
You’ve gotten through some tuff stuff! You’ll get through this too!

Mercy (mercy164)

Apr-2

Thanks Marti. I wish it was easy to stay on track all of the time but I wouldn't need this forum if I wasn't human and needing help too. I made it home but the thought still lingers. I share my thoughts because it takes the power out of them that way. When I keep these cravings to myself they fester and get worse. Mental freaking warfare!

Mercy

MartiJB

Apr-2

You are right. This is mental warfare.  

I am sorry if you felt bad because of anything I wrote.  

I have really been struggling too and I guess in my enthusiasm to be positive I  went a bit overboard.

Im really glad you made it home.

Marti