About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

April 2021 Ex-Smokers - Start Here   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Apr-2 by slowblumer; 2374 views.
slowblumer

Apr-2

Feb-28

Welcome New Ex-Smokers

Congratulations on taking that all-important first step with cessation - stubbing out the last cigarette and getting started.

Chances are you don't feel 'ready' to quit, and are experiencing a mixture of difficult emotions about it.

Try to relax.  You've found the best place for help. 

Getting Started with Cessation

Park yourself in front of your computer and read everything you can on this forum board. We encourage you to take the initiative to introduce yourself and post often. Sharing your journey with your new quit buddies and offering support to each other really helps.

This thread will serve as the meeting place for those of you who are quitting now, and when the month ends, we will move your 'home base' thread over to the Quit Buddies Unite folder, where you can continue to support each other. 

You can also return to the Introductions folder where you'll find the new Monthly Ex-Smoker thread for those coming along behind you.  Share the tips and encouragement that helped you during month one.  Not only will this help others, it will strengthen your resolve as well.

Start your reading here:  Homework for New Ex-Smokers

Additionally, the folder headings in gray on the left of the page under DISCUSSIONS house different topics.  Click on the gray heading to view the conversations held within.  When you finish with a folder, click on the drop down menu under DISCUSSIONS and select ALL to see all of the folders again.

Introductions/Newcomers Nook
A good place to start with numerous threads from new ex-smokers.

General Chit-Chat 
This is where you will find the daily NOPE thread.  NOPE stands for Not One Puff Ever, and members pledge NOPE on a daily basis.  Give it a try - you will probably find it helpful and empowering.

Quit Support
This is a good place to post for help when you need it ASAP. 

Dots(Weeks) and Stars (Months) Milestones and One Year and Beyond Milestones 
Read the accounts of people who are winning with cessation in these folders.

Quit Buddies Unite
This folder is the home base for the groups who quit together.  This thread will move to that folder at the end of the first month.

Quit Smoking Library
Here you'll find member stories and links to important articles that will inform you about what to expect from smoking cessation.

The next 4 posts will give you additional info on how to navigate/post here.  Please read them and let us know if you have any questions.

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
In reply toRe: msg 1
Terry (abquitsmking)
Host

Mod Marge made a terrific list of tips for when it gets tough............................................ Thanks Marge.

• As soon as you feel the crave come on, distract yourself immediately, do something else. If you are healthy, exercise, walk or do aerobics. When you feel like you are going to bust, climb up and down the steps or just get up and walk and walk. If I had to do it again, I would get a punching bag.
  • Keep redirecting your mind to the truth about nicotine and cigarettes.  Remind yourself that cigarettes were killing you slowly.  Remember, how long nicotine addiction controlled you. It controlled me over 40 years.
  • Drink as much ice water as possible.  When cravings are very bad, drink the whole glass down.
  • Sit in an upright chair and take 5-10 slow deep breaths.  It calms down that panicky feeling.
  • Come to the Forum and read. Try to support someone that is struggling.  It will help you at the same time.
  • Pledge not to smoke at the beginning of every day.
  • Read as many articles in the library as possible. You need to know your enemy to defeat it. Get educated on nicotine addiction and the tools to get through the rough times. You can actively overcome self-defeating thoughts.  I learned that here.
  • Keeping a journal will help you cope.  Write down your feelings.  Write down all phrases or posts that inspire you along the journey.  Go back and reread when you feel like you are in a fog.  You will see the progress you are making right before your eyes.
  • Find yourself a little hobby you can go to when you don’t know what to do with yourself and want to focus on something.  I put together Legos of all sizes for 6 months. It helped enormously.  A friend of mine bought large jigsaw puzzles and worked on it a little every day. One buddy loved adult coloring books.
  • If you are not sleeping well, check out the meditative music on U tube. Some of them are 8 hours long and very relaxing.
  • Put on some favorite, loud music and sing at the top of your lungs. 
  • Find things that make you laugh.  It releases pent up emotions and good chemicals in our bodies.
  • Don’t be afraid to have a good cry.  That does the same thing.
  • Let the junkie thoughts go by like a movie, try not to let them bother you.  They are just thoughts.
blackbird912

Apr-12

Hi,
I hope more people come to this April Ex Smokers thread to introduce themselves. I want and NEED to get to know who you are.  I have 45(+) years under my belt.  I started smoking when I was around 14 or 15.  I have attempted to quit on more occasions imaginable.  I am an addict.  My quits seem to be getting shorter and shorter. Hoping this group’s support is exactly what I need. 
I am a closet smoker.  Nobody but one other person knows that I smoke cigarettes.  I am a master at hiding the smell of tobacco on my breath, clothes, in my car or wherever I can slip away to smoke.  I am not too sure how I have gotten away with my sneaking.  I am not proud of my sneaking.

I am currently working on day 3 of this attempt.  I am not sure but I hope to make this N.O.P.E. a real thing.  All the mental games that goes with smoking, especially when you are sneaky.  I am so tired of not being true to myself.  

As time goes on I know I will share more about me.  In the meantime, I know I need to be here as often as possible for support.  
I am an addict.

I am an addict

i am an addict.

I do not want to smoke one puff ever.

Thank you!  Have a great day!

KatieKat84

Apr-12

Hi!

I’m sure there’ll be some others to join you on your quit journey this month.

I really hope this forum can make all the difference for you. It did for me - I had 3 or 4 failed attempts beforehand. It really helped me to see people on here saying it’s tough for the whole first year really but if you keep going and trust in your decision to quit you can get free and it’s so worth all the hard work. Also what’s the alternative - to remain a smoker and be miserable the rest of your life?

What’s been your longest quit and is there a theme when you relapse?

I’m sorry you’re a closet smoker, that must just add to the stress and misery of it all. Remember it’s not you that is sneaky and deceptive, it’s the nicotine addiction controlling you. So tell old Nic NO!

Stay close to the forum and take it one day at a time.

I wish you the best in your quit!

Katie

Quit 4th March 2017

overdoze

Apr-12

Yeah i guess it comes down to if you really want to quit, or if its something thats shamed by society or people in general telling you to quit.. but you dont want to.  you gotta want to i believe is the first step, then the battle with the physical and mental take hold. 

But i believe that there are many people that may have never thought about quitting, but in the new world fashion show, i guess smoking is shunned, not really sure.. I mean you have to have a plan in place of what you will be doing cause smoking used to preoccupy a lot of time. I noticed right away that i was sitting in home a lot more, where i was on my porch smoking a lot of the time and the garage. Now i go to the porch but to read or have coffee, and the garage to work on stuff.. 

Its hard, my dad didnt want to quit but was forced to quit, doctors orders, who knows he may be a closet smoker and telling anyone anything. 

Msg 6540.6 deleted
Lubbercat

Apr-13

How are you doing this morning?  Did you make it through that major crave yesterday?  

I woke up at 4:30 this morning wanting a smoke really bad.  I just stayed in bed for a while longer and it passed.  I will hit 3 weeks today at 7 PM, although, I did have a slip on Easter Sunday.  So, I am on the 9th day since that slip.........it really has gotten easier even if it has not gone away.  

I have lots of time and energy that I did not have before, even though I still have times when I feel really tired also and in a haze.  

Just keep on keeping on with NOPE.......it will get you there.

blackbird912

Apr-13

Thank you for reaching out.  I did survive yesterday!!  
 Congratulations on your 9th day being smoke free!  Yup, slip ups happen and then quitting again just makes it more difficult.  Sure glad you jumped back in though.  And of course we know not to have one puff ever!  We are addicts.  Addicts can never smoke again.  And not being able to smoke again is a good thing!  Oh how I hope I can get this straight it my brain this time.

keep on going on!  

blackbird912

Apr-13

Not smoking does free up time.  I am glad for that!

I hope your dad isn’t a closet smoker.  It gets old hiding and running and not being present because you have to run out to smoke and not smell like a burning cigarette tree when you come back into the house.  

overdoze

Apr-13

yeah, well we can only pray that people are healthy. Its hard for older people cause they are retired, lot of hours to fill during the day. He was sleeping too much and i talked to his doctor about that, he may be depressed, i dont know. People we definitely need to find some meaning in life, or else even comforts get old, so smoking or quitting smoking is hard at every age i guess. I think for older adults a little more challenging, i may be wrong.