About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

It's time to quit    Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Apr-10 by Lamont2021; 1429 views.
Lamont2021

Apr-10

Hi my name is Lamont and my quit date is April 11th 2021, I have been trying to quit for a long time now but have been unsuccessful so Im trying something different with the forum with hopes that with support I can break the habit and start living a smoke free life. I have read a lot about quiting and know that will power is not enough, that I have to be to the point where smoking is a complete turn off to me and my desire to be smoke free is of the utmost importance. I believe this is where I am as I approach this decision to be free of nicotine and its toxicity one day at a time for the rest of my life. Reading quitting material is one thing but getting advice and recommendations from individuals that have quit or are in the process of quitting is without parallel so I'm asking for as much support as I can get because my life depends on it. I was just recently released from the hospital for problems with my heart, the doctor put me on new meds and told me to quit smoking but even after being told that by the doctor and feeling the chest pains from smoking quitting is no easy task and I can use all the help I can get..  

gkim

Apr-10

Just so you know, Saturdays and Sundays here are slow so don’t be disappointed that people haven’t responded to you yet. Come Monday, you will get lots of great advise. 

Smoking is an addiction. Just because a doctor tells you you have to quit or the fact that you know how bad it is for you and even if you know it will kill you we can’t help but smoke because we are addicted to it. First and foremost, you have to get the nicotine out of your system. This is tremendously difficult physically. Your body is detoxing. I’m sure you’ve read about the side effects or withdrawal symptoms of quitting smoking. If you haven’t read about it you must. 

with that said, you can do it! I never imagined that I can quit. Not one day and certainly not a week or a month. But oh wow oh wow. I just passed five months smoke free! You can also do it. I smoked twenty years before this quit. I quit once before when I got pregnant. Stayed quit for 10 years. The worst thing I ever did was to smoke again. It really is an addiction. You do have to be committed. After the initial fighting the physical cravings it’s a fight against your own will! I have to say though it’s all worth it. 

do keep educating yourself. You’ll need the tools. 

my best tool? It was the thought of living with an oxygen tank hooked up in me and that’s only if I’m lucky.

hard fact: smoking does kill!

blackbird912

Apr-11

Hi Lamont2021,  I am right there with you!  I have quit a 100 times and I just passed my 100th 24 hours.  I am making it one moment at a time.  I roamed around in a store today for over 2 hours just to keep from smoking.  I don’t even like shopping but it kept me from smoking.  I don’t know what I will do tomorrow.  No matter what I do I keep reminding myself it’s an addiction! The only way through this is to quit or keep smoking.  I am tired of smoking!!  The only way to quit is to not smoke one puff ever. Cigarettes and our mind can play all sorts of traps to make us cave in and smoke.  But let’s not!  Let us take control of our own thoughts without the smoked up brain.  We are on our way!
I had lung cancer last year and so far all looks good.  I kept telling myself I was one of the lucky ones because they were able to cut it all out.  But now, I have a ct scan scheduled next week because they found a spot on my liver.  Lung cancer did not get me to quit.  I am addicted. So are you.  We can do this. One day, minute, or hour at a time. 
keep in touch!
Chris

Loreficent

Apr-11

Hi Chris and Lamont,

Here is a link to a free E book that is highly educational. It’s an easy read and will help you understand a lot about the addiction. You might find this quite helpful. I do believe now that an educated quit is what helped me the tremendously. Get to know what it means exactly to be an addict. Have you both been to the Newcomers tab at the top left? There are links to a lot of short, readable articles to help motive you too. 

Chris, it may not have helped you to know you had lung cancer, but reading what you wrote helps strengthen my resolve for sure. You have to do this and you will have a ton of help here!

Oops...forgot the link...here you go...

https://whyquit.com/ffn/index.html#html

CC to Lamont2021
In reply toRe: msg 2
Lamont2021

Apr-11

Thanks for the advise, today is the first day of my quit I am going to hang out on this forum as mush as possible and take as many suggestions that come my way .. it also helps to know I’m not the only one struggling with getting that monster out of my life, others like Chris have done some of the same things that I have done while trying to quit, him sharing that showed that I am not alone and that means a lot - thanks again so happy to began the process of getting free

Lamont2021

Apr-11

Thanks for posting Chris your story showed me that I’m not alone and that means a lot .. let’s do this!!  One day at a time, forever.

Lamont2021

Apr-11

I didn’t get the link to the e book..

Loreficent

Apr-11

If you tap the underlined link at the bottom of my post it should open, but, let’s try again here:

https://whyquit.com/ffn/index.html#html

blackbird912

Apr-11

Thank you!  I bookmarked the link and started skimming through.  Yup, I am now fully into recovery and I admit I am an addict.  I am an addict.  I am an addict.  

The only way through this is to admit I am an addict and realize that i can not Handle One Puff Ever because I am an addict.  <<< I need to remember that!!

sorry, I just had to type that.  

blackbird912

Apr-11

Lamont2021,  I am now on my 2nd morning of not having a cigarette.  Part of me says this is easy but I know the real difficulty is not letting my guard down EVER.  The withdrawals get easier and easier, I know this all too well. I haven’t even gotten out of bed yet.   Smoking will not make my day easier.  It will actually make it harder because I will have to redo day 1 again. I don’t want another day 1 of not smoking.  I want this Day 2 of not smoking.  I will check in later.  

We got this!