About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Starting this painful journey.   General Chit-Chat

Started Apr-12 by Oscarwyj; 296 views.
Oscarwyj

Apr-12

Hi everyone, my name is Oscar. Today is actually my 5th day without any nicotine at all. I threw away all my lighters, and my cigarettes and I decided to go cold Turkey. I just want to know if anyone else here knows how far along will I stop getting these cravings. Thank you.

Loreficent

Apr-12

Hi Oscar,

You will likely get many different answers to this question as we all are different. In my experience, I occasionally still get one and I passed a year in February. I’m not sure if they are actually craves as you are experiencing at this early time frame, and I do recall those days. They are more like these passing moments in the day where I romanticize smoking. What I mean is thinking to myself “Oh, I remember when I would have really enjoyed a smoke at a moment like this”. I have to be careful and follow that up with “Maybe, but you know there is no such thing as just one and one puff will hook you back in”. Then I remind myself I absolutely do not want to go back to where I started and be cursing myself and wishing so badly that I were where I am now. 
It will definitely get better! I promise! Have you read the April 2021 New Ex Smokers thread near the top? There are some newer folks there early in their quit that would love some company! There is also a ton of stuff from the Moderators that you would find helpful. Educate yourself on this addiction and you feel better armed to carry on. Read as much as you can from other quitters. Post as much as you want. Stay in the moment and ride the crave waves out. They do stop whether you smoke or not. The only way to get them to stop for good is to never smoke. As soon as you do you are guaranteed more craves very quickly. 
You can do this! More later if you like...let me know how you are, and welcome to the Forum!

Oscarwyj

Apr-13

Thank you so much Loreficent! I will read the new threads and I will keep you posted. 

Anne2020

Apr-13

The initial constant daily cravings will fade off in about three days, weaker/short and a bit less often but persistent daily cravings will fade off in a couple of weeks, the periodic (rather intense) weekly cravings will fade off over a few months and the occasional monthly craving will fade off after about 6 months.  I am only at 15 months so I do not know bout yearly cravings but it seems from the posts on this forum, mild yearly cravings pop up from time to time for years and years.

I also quit cold turkey and noticed everything was much easier to deal with after first 3 days.   Gradually, you will think less and less about lighting up and before you know it, you will notice that you have actually forgot to think about smoking.  That is when you know, you have turned the corner and well on your way to a lifetime of not smoking, if you so choose.     

Oscarwyj

Apr-13

Thank you Anne for sharing your experience! I’m on day 6 now but I’m still struggling with the cravings. I’m just trying to put my focus on other things as soon as I feel them coming. Congrats on your 15 months!

Anne2020

Apr-13

6 days is a great start.  WELL DONE!  The nicotine is pretty much out of your system.  

Now it is a battle of rewiring your brain.  Rework that muscle memory.  Use any distractions you need to to re-wire those brain patterns.   Your old self will try to use any means necessary to convince you that you need to get that nicotine back into your body.   Remember, you are battling yourself.  So, speak to yourself and if you have to tell yourself off - under no circumstances are you going to intake any nicotine.   In a few days you will start to notice that you have forgotten to think about smoking as your used to - such that morning smoke, or during the afternoon smoke break.  This is a sign to yourself that you are winning.  You are shedding the old smoking you and the new non-smoking you is coming out.

There are tons of articles on this forum which are helpful to understand what is happening.   Reading what other are going through is empowering when you can relate your experiences to theirs.  

my strength to you,  Cheers