About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Health scare and quitting   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Apr-13 by legalliane; 1315 views.
legalliane

Apr-13

Easter Sunday I ended my day in the ER and spent the night in the hospital.  I have been diagnosed with AFib and told to quit (yes, I've been told that before) but this time I took it much more seriously and quit the very next day. I did ok those first couple of days with the health scare so fresh in my mind, but now I am struggling so much.  I have to stay strong, I have to resist. NOPE!  NOPE!  NOPE!  

Joined here today to gain support and just have some place to go when I need a boost.

Thanks everyone!  

Suzy2018

Apr-13

Hi there (Liane?),

This is a great place - I'd have smoked without it, for sure.   It sounds like you have a really good reason to stay quit, but for me, the real key is thinking about what I've GAINED, not what I'm losing.  What do you gain from not smoking?  And what do you think you've lost?

Suzy

legalliane

Apr-13

Thank you for that insight!  Yep, I'm Liane.

I know I have so much to gain, logically any way. Today has been such a struggle! I don't necessarily feel like I've lost anything. Over the last week I have learned that I have a lot of stuff to re-learn, like stress coping skills. That is what is really getting me, I have had several health issues pop up (none life threatening just life changing, thankfully) but figuring out how to handle stress without a cigarette has been challenging. Again, logically, I know that cigarettes do not help handle stress, but it was always my go to. Now, I need something new, just haven't figured out what that new is yet.

blackbird912

Apr-14

Trust me when I say it’s worth riding the recovery train.  Your life does truly depend on it.  I hope you succeed in your recovery.  I am on day 5 of my quit.  I have quit so many times and going through withdrawals every single time is challenging.  I am an addict.  A recovering addict.  I just recently learned to add the word recovering as it relates to quitting smoking.  Please hang in there.  Keep coming back here.  You are worth it.

Lubbercat

Apr-14

Liane

Welcome.  I too am quitting because of health issues.  I have struggled with quitting over and over again.  I had almost 2 weeks in and then slipped on Easter Sunday.  However, this time, I just let it stay a slip and started right back in.  We can do this and I can tell you from when I quit for 2 years that it does get much easier and you will feel so much better.  I have already started being able to get so much more done around my house then I was before.

Drinking lots of ice water is for sure a great help and I walk on my treadmill when I can't get outside to walk.  

Good luck.  Let us know how you are doing

Nope62

Apr-15

HI!

I am very happy to see that you are still quit!

I wanted to tell someone here that I lost my quit, or just threw it away. 

That is why I haven't been posting here lately. I plan to start another quit soon and I'll be back.

Take Care!

boylant22

Apr-16

That has been my biggest challenge as well. The mental “me” time or the perceived stress reliever. I still struggle with that at the 45 day mark. The good news is that it does get easier as you learn new habits and make it through those stressful situations without using smoking as a crutch. Good luck to you on your continued journey and sounds like you have great motivation and mental mindset for a successful quit

In reply toRe: msg 6
blackbird912

Apr-16

I hope you will join us again soon!  

In reply toRe: msg 1
legalliane

Apr-16

I am still hanging in there, had a very busy week at work which helped a lot. It is a struggle first thing in the morning, a REAL struggle, but working through that also. 

Suzy2018

Apr-16

Oh bloody hell, Jeff!  First of all, I'm really sorry for the slow reply.  My son isn't well at all and it's been all-consuming - but I'm really touched that you wrote to me.  I don't know what to say, though, except that I have been there before (many times) and know only too well that horrible combination of relief to have stopped fighting alongside disappointment that you've stopped fighting.  It's hard, and it's confusing.  It doesn't make you a bad person though - I really hope you know that - all it says is that you're a nicotine addict, just like the rest of us.  When my sister went through alcohol rehab, she said that the key for her was a seemingly throwaway line from one of the counsellors:  "You're not a bad person trying to get good, you're an ill person trying to get well".  It just takes any shame out of the equation, and we really shouldn't feel ashamed of this; I hope you don't.   

Please come back soon.  You know it makes sense, and people here will be so glad to see you - I know I will.  

Take care, Jeff - you've been a tower of strength to me, and I'd love to have the chance to give some of that back to you.

Suzy x