About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Nope Monday April 26th   General Chit-Chat

Started Apr-26 by Eve1973; 414 views.
Eve1973

Apr-26

Good Morning everyone! 

This addiction is very sneaky...... still after all this time, my brain will say you can just have one.......Then I gotta scream......NO! 

so join me in screaming NOPE today and know that we are in this together! 

blackbird912

Apr-26

I am on day 17!  Sooooo.........No Puffs For Me Today!
I am so with you on this today. Happy to hold your hand!   And I need some hand holding.  

I have started smoking so many times because of how sneaky cigarette addiction really is.  And then gearing up to quit again is hell and every time I quit it has been more difficult to get past the fear of quitting.  Crazy how much fear plays a part.  

Eve, how long have you been a non-smoker?

chris

boylant22

Apr-26

Good morning Eve and Chris,

On day 57 and I will join you in NOPE today!  I have no desire to ever go back to smoking again, I am liking all of the benefits of being a former smoker too much - more money, more time, more health, more stability. I think back to all the ways that smoking really was a complete drain on me and need to NOPE every day to keep all of this wonderful momentum.  

have wonderful days and stay strong in the quit!

Eve1973

Apr-26

Chris,

I took back my Life on 1/30/2020. And that is really how I feel. If you think about all the plans you have to make for that cigarette, it really is time consuming.

Just going out for lunch.....I was the only smoker, my friends would like to sit and chat. I would be so antsy to get up and smoke that cig......I would either go out and come back smelling like smoke, therefore have to carry gum and perfume to try to hide smell, or just be like OMG are we EVER going to leave?? 

There are so many different scenarios but that was just one. 

Know that this is like any other addiction.....drugs / alcohol...you need to work the program and share if you need help, having a tough day or life is just giving you lemons that day/week. But also remember, having a cigarette will not change your stress nor help in any way alleviate the pain, sadness nor basic everyday nonsense.....lol, it will only make you start at the beginning again! 

Don’t choose to restart choose taking YOUR LIFE BACK!

Congrats Boylant! That’s great.....don’t forget to award yourself with a treat on day 60! Those treats helped me a lot!

CC to boylant22
blackbird912

Apr-26

I know all too well what you are talking about.  Thanks for sharing this valuable description and it serves as a reminder of what addiction is really all about.  I am in recovery and i hope to remain in recovery and I hope I can get this one to stick.  At 66 years old, time is ticking a bit faster these days.  My 1st attempt was at about age 45.  Gheez time flies!!  It feels good to say NOPE today.

(((Thanks)))

chris

Eve1973

Apr-27

Chris,

When I first came to this site, I was about 2weeks into my quit and I was ready to throw in the towel. Then I started googling and found this site. I was so happy to know I wasn’t “crazy.”

Just reading about others and their struggles seemed to say to me that I am not ALONE! So with the support of many many PEOPLE, I somehow did it. I told myself I would give myself a year........so this was so junkie thinking. So when I reached a year, I was talking to myself (I do this a lot) I said I could celebrate with a smoke, and give up my entire YEAR of hard work or continue........which is what I did! I know for me, if I “slip” or smoke just one.....the thoughts of how, when, and can I hide it, would consume me to smoke more! I know this from previous attempts. I never got this far EVER!

So Chris, this is a new quit for you, but it seems like you are determined to STAY this time...... yep it’s really very difficult. But I know it can be done. I smoked approximately 30 years, a pack and a 1/2 a day .....not all that time, and never made it past 6 months. Every day that you go to bed without smoking is a great day!

Make a list, if you haven’t already of all the reasons you want to stay QUIT! I keep mine in my wallet, I may not read everyday.....but I see the paper and know what’s on it! Therefore it serves as a reminder. I also bought a ring, it’s my empowerment ring to remind me that I am a non smoker!

Oh and last May, I went and bought a newer vehicle. Never have I ever smoked in this! And that actually alleviated the urge because I never did smoke in that vehicle!

Keep plugging along Chris, it will be better eventually! You can do this!

Anne2020

Apr-27

Hi Eve, you are coming up on 15 months now!  I love the idea of an empowerment ring to remind you of your quite - what a great idea.    

Congrats on 15 months and keep on givin er, as they say.

Cheers!    

Eve1973

Apr-28

Thanx Anne.....

You will be 16 months on Saturday.....hopefully u can celebrate with an outing since it falls on a Saturday! 

Enjoy the day!