About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Going to need help   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Apr-29 by Chowpappy; 816 views.
Chowpappy

Apr-29

Hi folks,
I'm going to need some peeps to talk to for the rough time ahead. I quit cigarettes 10 years ago by vaping but I'm still strongly addicted to nicotine. (I hate it when they call it a habit. A habit is nail biting).
Anyway, I know from experience I get real emotional when I'm going through withdrawal and I need a place to whine about it. I don't think I can make it unless I can talk about what's going on. 
I think I'm too strongly addicted to nicotine to make it cold turkey. I'm going to go get the patches tomorrow. That slows things down and drags it out but for me it makes it where I can at least white knuckle it. Complaining somehow helps...lol  (feel free to slap me if I get too annoying) 

Nope62

Apr-30

HI! 

Glad you have decide to quit!

What do you mean by peeps? Young people or little people! I may have taken that out of context, and I apologize if I did!

You can complain all you want, if that helps you to stay quit. People here will support you as long as they see that you are trying to quit. Vaping is not a method of quitting smoking. Big tobacco owns most of the companies that produce those products. Compared to smoking, it's the same product in a different package.

There are two parts to quitting smoking. The psychological part and the physical part. With some effort you can get past the physical part. If you quit for just three days the nicotine is gone from your system. The psychological part is the harder of the two to beat.   I smoked for 50 years and I developed many habits that revolve around smoking. We are all nicotine addicts, but to beat that addiction we have to change our habits. Example: I always smoked after every meal, first thing when I got up in the morning, and right before I went bed, etc. When you quit smoking you have to change those habits.

To quit smoking all you need to do is not put anything in your mouth and set fire to it. I have seen the patches, used as directed, work well for many people.

I wish you luck with your quit!  Keep posting when you need to talk to someone who has been where you at, or is right where your at now!

boylant22

Apr-30

Good morning,

I have found this forum to be what you put into it - as little or as much as you need. There is so much good information posted here, and yes, people are always here to listen, distract, and share ideas. 

I just hit 60 days today so it can be done. It is not easy (especially the first couple of weeks), but as the saying goes, it is so worth it. The feeling of accomplishment and strength you feel continues to build and build. Taking control of your life back, and mostly you just start to feel free again. 

I wish you the best of luck. Know that you can and will do this!

Jatchat

Apr-30

Congratulations on 60 days Boylant Hip hip hooray

Jatchat

Apr-30

Read the info on this site to prepare your mind for the battle, and use some NRT if you need it, I do. Educate your mind on this addiction and you will have answers when cravings hit. And post post post

Chowpappy

Apr-30

I've used NRT in the past and I think that's what it is going to take for me. I think there are different levels of nicotine addition. The guy I started smoking with as teenagers decided to quit and did it fairly effortlessly like he was giving up nail biting. I'm like Keith Richards coming off of heroine. Other substances were effortless for me. I drank enough in my early 20s to be an alcoholic ten times over, but when I decided to stop it didn't bother me at all. Nicotine is my personal demon.

I thought I could get away with vaping and it did take me away from cigarettes. My sister did the 'drop the dosage' thing and it worked for her. I drop the dosage and hit it twice as hard. I know the power of support though. When I was in my twenties I tried a hypnosis class. The hypnosis was humbug (at least for me), but what got my attention was how it helped that everyone else in the class was going through the same thing. I wish there was a local group but with covid n' such this is as close as I'm going to get. I appreciate you guys bothering to respond.

Nope62

Apr-30

I know what you mean when you say "Nicotine is my personal demon". I'm on my third quit this year. I had over three months quit and just threw it away on Easter Sunday. I quit seven times last year for a total of 121 days. It also makes me mad that some others seem to have an easy time quitting smoking. I am also a recovering alcoholic. I've got almost three years sober. As you say quitting alcohol was nothing like quitting nicotine. I can stop smoking, but I can't make it stick. But I am not alone and neither are you. There are others here who have the some trouble we do, staying quit!

That's one of the things I like about this forum. Others are willing to help you get back on your feet, even after your failures.

I will suggest a few things to you. Things that I have learned that may help you. Take them or leave them, as you want.

Quitting smoking is a journey, not a race.  It takes time for your mind to adjust to not having nicotine.

You must have at least one good reason, if not more, for quitting. Those reasons will help you during the rough times, when you are craving a nicotine fix. Mine is declining health from the damage done to my body after 50 years of sucking on those nasty things.

Once you have quit, get rid of all your cigs. and vapes. Make it take some time to get to that fix, if you should give in to the cravings. During that time you might talk yourself out of giving up your quit.

Learn all you can about nicotine addiction. There is a lot of information here. Just go to the top thread on the left side. There are lots of tips and things to read that will help you through the process. Also I would recommend going on You Tube and looking up a man named Joel Spitzer. Watch as many of his videos as possible. He gets it! He is a cold turkey guy, but gives you a lot of information that will help, no matter how you quit.

Good Luck!  You Can Do this!

Nope62

Apr-30

I wanted tell you that I am very Happy to see that you are now 60 days Quit.

Congratulations!

It's time to reward yourself for a job well done!

In reply toRe: msg 7
Chowpappy

Apr-30

At least I know the downfalls now of ruining a quit. The first time I blew it I was young and going to clubs. I had went through hell but felt I was over it. Everyone was smoking around me and I thought I could try one just to see. That's all it took.
The second time was a similar situation. Working with people smoking around me and I thought I could try it. I'm one of those who can't. People crinkle their nose when they smell someone smoking. To me it smells wonderful. I want to mug them for their smoke...lol
I've just got to get over nicotine being my little go-to pleasure buddy. The pleasant break; the thumb sucking security, the shot of relief. You think you can't do without it but once you get through the withdrawals you realize you can. I want to get there and stay there this time. I just have to be willing to go through the ordeal. I think that's the biggest tip I've ever gotten. "You have to be willing to go through it."

rubyfreshair

May-5

Yes, we have to 'go thru it'.  I realize this.  There is no around, or under...the only way to get through is to go through.