About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

3 weeks   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started May-1 by natureislife; 2282 views.
natureislife

May-1

Hey all!! It’s been 3 weeks (longest weeks of my life ) since I have quit smoking cold turkey.  It has probably been one of the hardest things to do in my life. I went from smoking half a pack- 1 pack a day for 15 years to absolutely nothing. I have been using pretzels since quit day 1 and that has seemed to help as well as peppermint altoids here and there which has seemed to help. It has been a rough journey thus far and i have been having terrible cravings this past week (seems to be worse than the first week or two). I can’t count how many times I’ve thought of breaking down and getting a pack this past week (scares me as I have made it this far and have worked very hard towards my goal of quiting forever). I don’t want to fail and let my self down as well as my girlfriend and two baby daughters. I’m scared because I feel like if the cravings stay as bad as they have been this week for Much longer I’m going to break in and and deep down that’s the last thing I want to do. Up until this point i have had no one to talk to that I could actually relate with and understands how I am truly feeling as no one in my life is a smoker and quiting. Any recommendations and positive words of encouragement are greatly appreciated. 

KatieKat84

May-1

Hi,

Congratulations on being 3 weeks quit! That’s a fantastic achievement as we all know how horrendous those early days can be. 

It does get better! It won’t feel this intense for much longer so keep going.

That said it’s a real roller coaster the whole first year, some days will feel fine and then other times you’ll be tempted to smoke again. It’s ok to have strong craves - just acknowledge the feeling and say ‘I don’t do that any more’. trust in your decision to quit, you know it’s the only option!

Having your girlfriend and two baby daughters will hopefully be a great motivator to keep you going. When I had my daughter a couple of years ago I was so glad to not be smoking, worrying about the smell, breathing fumes over my baby, and always being distracted by thinking about smoking rather than being present in the moment. When you are a smoker cigarettes will always be competing with your other priorities. Quitting smoking is the best gift you can give yourself and your family.

I would recommend staying close to the forum, post and read the articles on here. I also found Allen Carr’s book on quitting smoking really helpful. 

Wishing you all the best - it’s tough but you can get free and it’s so worth it!

Katie

Quit 4th March 2017

spicer67

May-1

I'm just about where you are... 3 weeks and 4 days. Those 4 days are huge because you have to take it one day at a time. On the days that it gets bad, I literally take it 1 hour at a time. Urges and thoughts are still there, but that's to be expected after years and years of smoking. Stay strong. 

KatieKat84

May-1

This folder contains lots of useful links from this forum to get started:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/quit_smoking/messages/3435/1

(Hope I’ve done that right)

natureislife

May-1

Thank you very much!! It feels good to hear that it will get better soon, I feel like I just need to roll with the punches. The hardest thing for me is copeing with the punches because I always would turn to cigarettes to deal with any little thing that affected me in a negative way. It’s funny how I am just now realizing this after 15 years of doing it. You couldn’t have explained it any better, definitely feels like a roller coaster to say the least. I can’t remember the last time I have felt ups and downs like this. Every time i have a strong craving I think about my family and it definitely helps me get through it. I used to crave at home and work but now the cravings only happen at work. It makes me feel like it’s slowly getting easier as time goes by however the work cravings have gotten twice as intense. The thing is I love my job so it’s not that it’s a negative experience at work so it’s very hard to understand.  Thank you so much for your kind and helpful words I appreciate it. I will check that link out you posted and definitely stick around here

natureislife

May-1

Happy 3 weeks and 4 days!! It makes me feel better knowing I’m not the only one going through these very stressful yet positive life changing times. I will most definitely take your advise. We can get through this!!! You stay strong as well!!

Fearit2021

May-1

Congrats on getting this far!! I am jealous, as I haven't stopped yet, but working on it and I know I still have to go through what you are going through. 

Your saying your family is what is stopping you- I had a thought that wherever it was you kept your cigarettes- shirt pocket or whatever- get a photo of your family and put it where you keep that pack you used to grab- and pull that photo out when it gets hard. Maybe that will help strengthen you. 

Be REALLY proud of yourself that you have come this far!!!! 

natureislife

May-1

Thank you so much for that, it’s an amazing idea!! I will most definitely do that. I believe that is the exact thing that i need to get through those really tough cravings at work when I can’t be with my family. I just want you to know that if I can do it, you and anyone else can so keep up the fight and keep chipping away. I wish you the best of luck with your journey of Quiting! Don’t give up!!

KatieKat84

May-2

Hi,

I also used to use smoking for dealing with stressful and negative feelings. Actually I don’t think it does help to deal with them - it’s more a way of hiding from them behind a screen of smoke. When we quit we are confronted with a lot of things we used to avoid, which can feel stressful - our old cue to smoke!

Just remember smoking doesn’t help to deal with any of those stresses and you CAN find healthy constructive ways to deal with them -like going for a short walk, talking to someone, coming on this forum etc. It takes time to re-educate our brains after all those years of smoking but thankfully it can be done :) 

Life is much less stressful when we are free from addiction!

All the best,

Katie

Quit 4th March 2017

natureislife

May-2

I am realizing that as the days go on especially now that you bring it up. It really does not help one bit. It’s crazy how we don’t see it until we truly stop and break the habit. I feel like I never truly knew how to deal with negative things in the correct manner as I would always turn to a cigarette. Time to re train my brain, one day at a time and like others have said sometimes even one hour at a time at times when it gets extremely rough. The outdoors definitely seem to help as well as playing guitar, and of course my pretzels xD.  I think by far this forum has helped me the most, I’m able to let it out and feel like I’m not alone. That is exactly what gets me through, looking forward to the days where my mind isn’t consumed by cravings. I appreciate the words of wisdom. 
-Kyle