About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

3 weeks   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started May-1 by natureislife; 2283 views.
KatieKat84

May-2

Hi,

I also used to use smoking for dealing with stressful and negative feelings. Actually I don’t think it does help to deal with them - it’s more a way of hiding from them behind a screen of smoke. When we quit we are confronted with a lot of things we used to avoid, which can feel stressful - our old cue to smoke!

Just remember smoking doesn’t help to deal with any of those stresses and you CAN find healthy constructive ways to deal with them -like going for a short walk, talking to someone, coming on this forum etc. It takes time to re-educate our brains after all those years of smoking but thankfully it can be done :) 

Life is much less stressful when we are free from addiction!

All the best,

Katie

Quit 4th March 2017

natureislife

May-2

I am realizing that as the days go on especially now that you bring it up. It really does not help one bit. It’s crazy how we don’t see it until we truly stop and break the habit. I feel like I never truly knew how to deal with negative things in the correct manner as I would always turn to a cigarette. Time to re train my brain, one day at a time and like others have said sometimes even one hour at a time at times when it gets extremely rough. The outdoors definitely seem to help as well as playing guitar, and of course my pretzels xD.  I think by far this forum has helped me the most, I’m able to let it out and feel like I’m not alone. That is exactly what gets me through, looking forward to the days where my mind isn’t consumed by cravings. I appreciate the words of wisdom. 
-Kyle

davidz1965

May-2

Hi Kyle,

Congratulations on 3+ weeks without smoking!!!   That is really awesome.   I think once I made it through the first few weeks, something that helped me was to write down all the triggers that make me want to smoke so that I could be mentally prepared for those triggers when they happened.   I have been smoke free since December 2012.

Also, one of the most startling realizations for me was realizing how much of my life was organized around smoking, how much time I spent smoking, and how what I thought was the pleasure of smoking was really just not feeling the discomfort of my body needing more nicotine.   I am so happy to be free of that.

I wish you success in your quit.

David Z

natureislife

May-2

Thank you so much David! I think that is a very good idea and will be certain to give it a try.  Congratulations for making it this far that is quite the feat and something I can definitely look up to. It’s so true, literally everything in my life was planned around my habit (pretty sad, I know). From the moment I woke up to the moment I went to bed. I feel like I was a slave to cigarettes with out even realizing it as It wasn’t until I quit that I realized all of this. Keep up the great work and I will continue to get through this battle one day at a time!

Anne2020

May-3

Howdy and well done so far.  I also quit cold turkey and can say that soon you will notice that you completely forget about smoking for noticeable periods of time.  Sure the cravings come and go, but just like waves, let them pass over you with the realization that a craving is an indication of your healing.  Let the craves flow over you and smile knowing you have refused to give into the addiction.  You will soon know the peacefulness of having overcome your addiction.  But only if you do not smoke.  Not even one.

Cheers 

blackbird912

May-3

Wow Ann, well said!!!  

natureislife

May-3

Thank you Anne, I have noticed the cravings seem to be getting less and less powerful as each day goes on. I feel like it has a lot to do with trying to always turn it into a positive feeling (although it seems impossible to do so at times) as well as me finally getting used to the idea of a smoke free me and all the benefits it brings. The end result of feeling that peace is what i continue to look forward to each and every day and that is what I am most excited for!! Up to this point it has been a hard journey and I know there are still going to be tough days ahead, I WONT GIVE IN AND I WONT GIVE UP!! I feel like I have made it to far to turn back and I would be so ashamed of my self. The thought of letting my self down and my family down really scares me but I’m not so sure that’s a bad thing at this point. Amen to that, no more smoking, not even one.  I will continue to stick around here as it has been a tremendous help and I hope I can provide the same as everyone has been so helpful towards my goal of staying quit. 
-Kyle

Anne2020

May-3

Anytime the thought pops up to light up, which is very rare, I think - 'no way do I want to go back to that - yuk'.  I love that I quit smoking - really love that I quit - I love it more than I ever enjoyed smoking.  I totally enjoy not smoking - whooo hooo.   

natureislife

May-3

That must truly be the most amazing feeling. Eventually I will be there, I just know it!! Never lose that positive way of thinking!! I will continue to keep up the good work.

Anne2020

May-3

It really is the most amazing feeling to beat your own addiction.  Such a great feeling - especially when I see someone lighting up.   I don't miss it one bit.  Not at all.   

You will get there too.  JUST DON'T SMOKE - not one single puff.

Cheers