About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Finally serious about quitting   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started May-5 by shushy123; 2433 views.
shushy123

May-5

I have yet to choose a stop date but I think the day of my first AstraZeneca vaccine - next Tuesday - is somehow appropriate. I am 72 and have smoked off and on since my 20s. I am going through very tough times at the moment ( oh, the excuses I have) but the smoking doesn’t change the reality. I chose next Tuesday because it’s an important day and, I’m too cowardly to choose a closer date. 

blackbird912

May-5

YOU ARE NOT TOO COWARDLY!  And I congratulate you for coming to this group and looking for support and strength to quit.  Fear is the biggest obstacle.  Read as much as you can here.  There are a lot of resources.

I am sorry you are going through tough times.  I hope you will stick around.  There are some awesome people in this group.  

I am 66 and am around week 3 of this quit.  I have been down this road several times.  
let us know what you need.  Someone is bound to help you out.

ENJY This Day!
chris

shushy123

May-5

Thank you for your encouraging words. I don’t know what I need to stop. I thought I would try today but nope. I’m afraid of losing my “best friend/enemy “

rubyfreshair

May-5

Understood.  There is no 'good time'.  I think....they are neither my friend or my enemy.  Certainly not my friend.  If so., while maybe sad in some respects, time to say goodbye. 

shushy123

May-5

You’re right. I’m trying to have less today

blackbird912

May-6

Good luck.  It takes more strength to smoke less.  At least it did for me.  
I ALWAYS smoked WAY more when I was gearing up to quit or when beating myself up for smoking.  Way more!  They are not your best friend and you know that.  Cigarettes have deceived us from the very get go.  They love it that you are allowing them to control you.  It helped me to watch how cigarette advertisements have brain washed us and how the cigarettes industry got us hooked.  It’s pure evil.

shushy123

May-6

Great response. So spot on. Thank you 

Nope62

May-6

Great decision to quit smoking!

I understand that you are waiting until Tuesday to put the last one out.

I am 64 and have been smoking for about 50 years. I've been trying to quit for the last year. I am quit now and I am hoping this quit is the last quit.

I will tell you some things I've learned that might help you in your quit.

Learn as much as you can about the addiction that you will be dealing with, nicotine addiction! There is a lot of information here that can help you. Click on the box to the right that says April 2021 Ex-Smokers- Start Here. You will find a lot of information that was put there by the moderators of this forum.

Quitting smoking is not a race, it is a journey!

Take it one day at a time. Every night when you go to bed and you didn't smoke that day, you won!

Don't keep any cigarettes around your home. Make it hard to get a cigarette. If you should decide to give up your quit, you might have enough time while getting a cigarette to think it through and save your quit. Put as much time between deciding to smoke and actually smoking as you can!

Write down the reasons that you are quitting smoking. Keep that paper or card close to you all the time, so you can read it if you feel like your resolve to quit is weakening!

Use Distractions to deal with cravings or urges to smoke. Hard Candy, Ice water, maybe just getting up and walking around a bit. Change what your doing! I have found that using a short straw to draw on, like a cigarette, really helps me through the hard cravings.

Post here as often as you need to! Talk to people here who have been quit for a long time or people who are right where you are in your quit.

Good Luck!

• Edited May 6, 2021 11:57 pm  by  Nope62
In reply toRe: msg 8
shushy123

May-7

That was really helpful.  All the hints and experiences are valuable. Thank you very much

blackbird912

May-7

Hi Nope62,

it is nice seeing another 60’s quitter.  How long have you been on this new journey?  I actually don’t know my exact quit date but I am somewhere over the 4 week mark.  I think one of the best things that helped me this time around were all the videos on how the tobacco industry has brainwashed us.

I hope you can make this quit stick!!  I hope I can make this quit stick!!

I plan on staying close to this group and will try to post something everyday to keep me grounded and to help me to never ever forget that I am a recovering nicotine addict.

Chris