About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

60days Smoke Free   Quit Support

Started May-5 by katman3; 902 views.
katman3

May-5

Hi ,it’s been 60 days I quit smoking a 3 pack a day routine for about 22 years cold turkey, I also quit drinking alcohol and smoking weed. I’m trying to keep busy working ,training, painting, whatever to keep my mind off the cravings but I feel it’s not getting better it’s getting worse ,I’m very irritated constantly tired in the middle of the afternoon migraines , waking up in the middle of the night my throat feels like I swallowed an ashtray Im confused I thought I was supposed to feel better lol  if anybody has some experience or knowledge of what’s happening I would really appreciate the help sorry about the punctuation haven’t written anything since high school 

Nope62

May-6

You are doing great!

You smoked 3 packs a day for 22 years. It is going to take more than 60 days to correct that. If I were you I would be very happy about where I'm at right now. You are early in your quit, so you are going to have a bad day now and then. But you should notice some things getting better! Please stay the course!

The migraines are the only thing  you mentioned that is not common at this point in your quit. You might need to see a doctor if they continue.

Your throat is in the process of healing it'self. I have went through this. Just drink some water to get rid of the dryness and go back to sleep. You might be saving yourself from throat cancer.

As for the irritability, it is very common. You have taken something from your body and mind that it wants. You are irritable because you are in a fight with yourself. The more time you can put between that last cigarette and the present, the better you will feel. The better you feel about what you are doing the less irritable you will be. You have got to get your mind right about this quit. I know it is hard, but you had a reason for quitting smoking in the first place. That reason or reasons is just as valid today as it was 60 days ago. Think about it!  Don't be so hard on yourself for doing something so good for your future health! Sure it takes time, but it will be so worth it in the end.

Good Luck! 

In reply toRe: msg 2
katman3

May-6

Thank you for the support don’t have much of that around since most of my colleagues are smokers and potheads, trying to distance myself from them is not easy and you know what they say misery loves company but I fight it when they are around I was just worried how I was feeling if it was normal or not thx again 

Anne2020

May-6

You are doing great! Keep it up!!! You are just 30 days away from the third of the icky 3's (3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months).  You will soon start to experience periods of peacefulness wherein you do not think about needing or wanting to smoking.   Those peaceful periods will start to become more and more frequent and last longer and longer over the coming weeks and months.  Your body is healing and it takes time for that to happen.  

Quitting smoking is a lifestyle change.  Over time, if you do not smoke, it will get easier and easier day by day and week by week.  It is accumulative  - but only if you do not smoke.  Eventually, all thoughts of needing a smoke will leave you sometimes its within 3 or 4 months, sometimes its 6 to 8 months.  For some people it takes upwards of a year. 

I can tell you, once you get there, it is the most wonderful release from the bondage of addiction.  Well worth all of the effort you put into it for the rest of your new lifestyle life.

Cheers and well done! 

• Edited May 6, 2021 10:23 am  by  Anne2020
Nope62

May-6

I know that you don't feel well all the the time right now. You feel alone with no support from others around you. Please remember that you are doing this for yourself and that you are the only one who can do this. If you are going to be irritable with anyone, let it be those who are not supportive of your quitting this nasty habit.

I'm 64 and I have smoked for about 50 years. It has trashed my health. For the last year now I have been fighting to quit smoking. I'm embarrassed to say I am on my ten quit in one year. About a month ago I threw away a 93 day quit. It's not easy, but I'm at the point were I can't afford to not keep trying. Cigarettes are nothing more than a slow form of suicide. When you are young you don't realize what they are doing to your future health. It happens slowly, so some of us don't even notice it until we have already done damage that can't be reversed.

If you haven't, look around this site and read all you can about nicotine addiction. The more you know about what you are up against the better you can fight it. Go to YouTube and look up Joel Spitzer, then watch as many of his videos as you have time to. He gets it! You will feel like some one else understands what you are going through.

Come back here and post as often as you want. You will be talking to people who have been where you are at, or are right where you are at right now! They understand! I wish you a Great Smoke Free Day!

In reply toRe: msg 5
katman3

May-6

I’m just amazed of the support I’m not use to this at all ,last night I reached out and you took the time to respond and help and believe me you did I’m gonna fight it’s been a long time I’ve been abusing my body ,so much cigarettes and alcohol I’m gonna be 50 in September and  Im aiming for that date right now and I will check out Joel thx again 

katman3

May-6

Thank you for taking the time to respond you and another gentleman responded and encouraged me ,total strangers helping me out to get through this giant obstacle that’s been there for a long time thank you thank you very kind

KatieKat84

May-6

Hi, 

Congratulations on your fantastic quit! Sorry to hear you’re going through a rough time - remember quitting didn’t do this to you, smoking did! Your body is healing and adjusting to life without cigarettes. I had a lot of fatigue the first few months of my quit and sore throat in the first weeks. I think it’s normal and it will pass.

Great that you’re keeping busy too. I did so much crochet when I quit haha! 

Glad to see you’ve had some great support from others on here. I honestly don’t think I would have kept going with my quit without this amazing forum. Stay close, read and post, it does help.

Sometimes progress can feel slow but it really does get better with time. I found the whole first year hard but at least through this forum I knew that was normal and I could get out the other side.

Ive been quit over 4 years now and I can honestly say I don’t think about smoking from one month to the next. The freedom is just wonderful. You will get there!

All the best,

Katie

Quit 4th March 2017

katman3

May-6

Thanks for the advice Kat there is good people who want the best for others I believe it now ,I’ve spent practically all my life with greedy selfish people it’s like it bothers them that I’m trying and slowly succeeding I guess you can count on one hand who are your true friends gotta stay focused and good for you for going over that  big hurdle 4 years wow that’s amazing ,it’s 60 days it’s seems like forever one day at a time I guess thx again for responding 

Nope62

May-7

HI!  I hope you are still on track with your quit! 

It helps me and others here to help you! I have always been thankful for the help that I have been given here on this site. I just try to give some of it back. You will find that it helps your quit, if you pass on what you can to help others. We are all in this together!

This forum is like a club, in that all the members are ex-smokers or people trying to become ex-smokers. We are all nicotine addicts!

Keep Up the Great Work! You Can Do This!