About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

6 Years Today   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started May-8 by AnnieXS; 434 views.
AnnieXS

May-8

Today is my 6-year anniversary.  I finally posted on my 5th anniversary to blather on about all of my challenges and the obstacles I overcame along the way.  Today I will keep it brief. 

I still return to the forum to keep it green.  I never want to become complacent and cave to the just one cigarette myth. 

There is one common thread that people like me, who stick our quits, have in common.  We changed our minds.  Until you can get past all of the lies this addiction puts in your head and realize that cigarette is not your best friend, you will continue to think of quitting as a deprivation instead of a reward.  Once you realize it’s the big lie this addiction has been feeding you and change your train of thought, you will become a long-term, non-smoker.  I’m not implying that it makes it easier.  I always say it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, but you can get past it.  It took me about 12-14 months to feel comfortable physically and mentally.  Once I surpassed the 2-year mark I was able to handle high-stress situations without the thought of smoking.

I guarantee that very few people quit as many times as I did over the years.  I honestly didn’t think I could ever stop for good, but here I am at 6 years smoke-free because I decided I wanted to quit more than I wanted to smoke.  

This was my daily mantra:

“If you want to change your life, change your mind.” 

- Terry Martin (founder of this forum) 

AnnieXS

Quit May 8, 2015

• Edited May 8, 2021 12:15 pm  by  AnnieXS
Loreficent

May-8

Annie!!

Thank you for what you wrote. This mantra is true with many aspects of our lives, yes?

Congratulations on this accomplishment. You continue to inspire. 

Perhaps a little memorial service for the “friend”could help some...? Including all the memories of one of the most painful, soul sucking, destructive relationships I’ve ever been in. If one is really truly honest with themselves....would any of us let a partner do to us what the choice of smoking does to us? That is one of the things that really hit home for me as well as the fact of how I needed to change my mind to change my life. This forum...yes...keeping it green as complacency is the biggest enemy now. With all things. 

So good to see you! You have been a tremendous support for me. Thank you for checking in and I fully expect to see you again in a year, if not sooner!blush

AnnieXS

May-8

Hi Loreficent!

I should have asked you to write my post. LOL.  You have the gift, girl.  Agreed, it applies to so many aspects of our lives.  I'm not around much in terms of interaction so I appreciate your words.  You are an incredible inspiration to those on this forum.  Although mindset is a powerful tool, I still credit my old MOD Andrea and my peeps that quit around the same time I did.  Marge talked me off the cliff more times than I can count. :)  

You are beyond your first year now, right?

overdoze

May-12

Thats a great point, the just one cig myth. I have lost so many quits cause of that story, Just made it past the 2 week mark and finally have regained my energy back, i was very tired as i usually am at the beginning of every quit and it takes time to adjust. Thats a great accomplishment 6 years, i have read that a lot of people consider it one of their greatest achievenemtns of their lives, i would agree with that statement. 

AnnieXS

May-12

Thanks!  I feel it is one of my greatest achievements, too, because I never thought I could do it.  Keep going!  You will feel so much better once you get past the DT's.  I quit a million times in the past.  I was perpetually tortured in a state of withdrawal.  At certain points in my many quits, I would allow myself to smoke once a month, every two weeks, once a week, etc.  I would simply to through withdrawal and think, non-stop, about the next time I could smoke.  It's was exhausting.  I don't miss the obsession with it because the addiction is so strong.  

You can do this! :)   

AnnieXS

boylant22

May-13

Congratulations on your great accomplishment!  I agree totally on the changing of perspective/mindset...what we gain is so much more than what we lose. As Lore said, we would never allow anyone else to abuse us and stay in that relationship. Smoking is not our friend, but enemy!