About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What makes you start back smoking?   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started May-8 by Fearit2021; 1078 views.
boylant22

Jun-2

Hi there!  I have tried to follow along with some trying to get ready to take this journey and was thinking about you and wondering if you have quit or set a date?

gkim

Jun-6

May I say that you definitely want to quit or you wouldn’t be on this site reading these discussions. There’s never the right time but there will come A TIME when you just had enough. I hope that time will be sooner than later. 
I was also so afraid to quit. I thought what would I do if I can’t smoke. Let me tell you - so much freedom not smoking. I used to stress about when I can have my next smoke, which was usually pretty much right after the one I was smoking. There’s no winning in smoking. We all know where it will lead. 
I just hit seven months smoke free. It’s short of a miracle. I still get that urge off and on but no way in hell will I give up my seven months. I think about what smoking will eventually lead to - cancer or walking around with an oxygen tank. No thanks. That’s what keeps me from going back. 
I hope you will bite the billet and quit! You are stronger than you think!

Fearit2021

Jun-6

I haven't quit yet and I haven't set a quit date. Although I've read over and over about setting a quit date, that part hadn't even crossed my mind, really. I just figured when I quit, I will just run out of cigarettes and not buy more. 

I know there's always excuses to wait and I have plenty of them. The last 10 days or so have been uncomfortable and things are coming up in another week that have raised my anxiety pretty high. 

I haven't not quit because of it, but the upcoming will certainly put me in a position to need every bit of strength I have to not go back to smoking during that week. 

I keep pretty busy at my job and hardly smoke at all there because my mind and hands are busy. The week of the 14th, I will be "not busy at all" per se, so I have already decided quitting is off the table until the following week. 

I have been wanting to do a lot of reading and get to watching those videos and there simply hasn't been time, or if I did, I would fall asleep sitting here watching them because of exhaustion. 

With that said, the week of the 14th, though I am sure I will be smoking that week, I will have time, as I will be at home for the week, for the most part. I'll do the work in between sleep breaks. 

I have been practicing different things. An example-  I smoked while driving. I don't now, just in the last 3 weeks. To me, that is an accomplishment.

I would like to know, though, when I do quit- what to do with the action of smoking that I won't have anymore?  What to do with my hands? Twirling a pen just doesn't get it. I don't want to replace smoking with eating, but think I am doing that already. I am smoking significantly less, but eating significantly more. If it's crunchy- it's sort of satisfying. But then, I have a cigarette. So, AFTER eating is a hard one as to what to do. 

Replacing a bad habit with a good habit- something to do with my hands. I don't know if the hand to mouth is part of the situation or not-yet. 

I had mentioned possibly going back on the chantix, and though I still have some here, the Dr advised against it.

I've thought about the mini nicotine lozenges, and have those as well, but would really like to do cold turkey, as I know people can have a hard time getting off of the lozenges/gum as well.  I will have them handy though, just in case I feel like I just can't go one more minute without buying cigarettes.  They are expired, so it should be a lovely experience.  relaxed

I appreciate the message from gkim as well. The words make me feel hopeful. 

The biggest freedom from smoking for me will be not worrying about if I have enough cigarettes to last till I can get them again. They are an unusual brand and not many places carry them. The other freedom will be the money saved, as they are at 105.00 a carton right now. All of the things I can save that money for! And, I know I can't retire unless I quit because my income would be way too low. 

I find it amazing, the power of cigarettes and the mindset. I can honestly say that if I were in the desert and had a choice between water and a cigarette, it would be a hard decision, I think. That's pretty pathetic!

The prison of keeping my physical distance from people because I am afraid I smell like smoke is another positive point. 

I had the light bulb moment that smoking the cigarette doesn't really do anything because the wanting of another one is going to come back again and again, so what am I fixing by smoking that cigarette. Like gkim said, thinking about when you can have your next cigarette, pretty much right after the one being smoked, though I am not really a chain smoker, I sure understand that! 

I'm still very scared of failing at it. I need to read on the tools for the physical part of the addiction, the action of smoking. I'm pretty sick of inhaling the smoke and the taste isn't so great anymore, either. 

Lubbercat

Jun-8

Hi, haven't been on here for the past week because I slipped again after being quit for 4 weeks.  This time, it was anger that got the best of me!  Normally it is the want/need for time to talk to my spouse who smokes, or it is because I am out with friends that are smoking and feel left out..........it is always something!

I really think that having a plan for when different triggers happen is the key.  One of the hardest things to learn in quitting is new ways to deal with different situations.  For the most part, I always found the quitting easier then trying to mentally prepare for quitting.  That being said, I do try to change my routine when I am new in a quit........Having a "routine" set up so that I have something to do in the morning instead of going out to quit seems to be huge for me!  Once I get to work, I don't normally smoke there anyways.

Let us know when you plan to start your quit.  You will get lots of support on here

Fearit2021

Jun-8

Thanks for that honesty, as so many are on here. You could have easily not said anything and no one would have known. Yet, seeing that people on here can come right out and say they slipped actually helps a LOT! 

I had said early on that one of my biggest fears of quitting would be getting fired, or at least written up at work. Anger/frustration in situations and I am afraid I would have an outburst! It's a very real possibility, and of course, is not tolerated.

Smoking, being the go to- getting outside and away from a situation is the solution as it is. What to do instead? I have no idea! Yet. 

Your bringing it up gave me the gift of putting that on my "plan list" and brainstorm things to do instead. So, thank you for that!!!

Wishing you the best in getting back on track. blossom

BlueDahlia29

Jun-8

Hi Fearit and Lubbercat hope you don't mind if I join you here. I quit smoking but am working at giving up the nicotine lozenges and was hoping I could get support from this community. I quit smoking for 2 and a half years then had a slip were I smoked for a few days, now it's been about 2 and a half months without smoking but using the nicotine lozenges and would like to give them up, mostly to save money. I gave up drinking nearly a year ago, will be a year in 2 weeks hoping giving up lozenges doesn't make me want to drink or smoke but I know that's something I'll have to be ready for.

Lubbercat

Jun-9

Honesty is really the only way to get through this.......lying will not help me or anyone else.  

As for the anger, just a couple of thoughts.......try drawing/writing on paper then tearing it up into tiny pieces........or there is finding a place (or buying) a dart board and throwing some darts?  I actually enjoyed darts at one point in my life and might seriously be taking that back up

Lubbercat

Jun-9

BlueDahlia

Welcome and I think I remember you from a while back.  Everyone is welcome and getting off the lozenges can be really challenging.  I am doing the patches but, after 2 weeks I will cut back to the step 3 (I started on step 2) patches and then go off of them.  Hopefully by then, things in my life will settle down in my life.

Hope to hear from you soon

BlueDahlia29

Jun-9

Made it 10 hours without the lozenges this first try, next will shoot for 11 or 12. Even if I cut back would be happy. Thought about using the patches to get off the lozenges. Nicotine is so hard to get off of, glad not to be smoking though.

Lubbercat

Jun-9

I have had good success a few times with the patches.  I have to break the mental addiction and the hand to mouth thing while I am not fighting the actual nicotine withdrawal.  However, it really is whatever works for each person