About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NRT   General Chit-Chat

Started May-12 by rubyfreshair; 359 views.
rubyfreshair

May-12

Any and all,

How long into your cigarette quit have you used NRT?   I am on day 14.  I don't want to be endlessly reliable on NRT on my quit.  I 'imagine' it has been helpful so far.  For those that have used NRT, when did you end that?

Thanks for any response.  I don't want to make this harder than it can be.

Ruth

boylant22

May-13

Hi Ruth, I am on day 73 and have been using the gum since the beginning...still am. I have been gradually weening down (replacing 4 mg with 2 mg and chewing less). I think at day 100 I am going to switch to the 7 mg patch to make my final break.  If it is working for you, I personally think you shouldn’t worry about how long you use it. Staying quit is the primary goal, don’t rush too soon to break that. 

rubyfreshair

May-13

Thanks, boylant, point taken.  Thanks for responding, congrats to you on 73!  You are right - main point is to keep the quit!

boylant22

May-13

The hardest thing I find about the gum is there isn’t a systematic way to step down (as opposed to the patch which automatically steps you down to different strengths). You can chew less (and I have been), but it’s more work to track. That’s why I’m thinking when I make the final break I will switch over to the lowest dosage for the patch. 

what are you currently using?

rubyfreshair

May-13

Thank you for asking boylant.  I am using the 21 mg patch - will continue second package of that for next two weeks. 4 mg gum.  I DO NOT want a cigarette - just want to not feel so uncomfortable.  Embracing the discomfort as part of the quit journey and journaling my thoughts and feelings.  Shoot - I know it's still early and this is a wacky time...I wonder if some of the anxiety and tormenting thoughts were not always present and I just masked them with that nasty devil?

boylant22

May-13

That has been the toughest thing for me, for sure....that habit and “thought” that smoking gets you through stress, anxiety, etc. It’s a crazy little trick your mind plays on you because as I think about it, they never solved anything, but I sure thought they did!  It does get a lot easier as you beat those triggers and habits one by one. You got this!  Just remember not smoking is the goal...NRT, exercise, scream, brush your teeth... and whatever you need to do to just make it through the minute/day right in front of you at the moment. 

rubyfreshair

May-13

Thanks for being there!

Ruth

Eve1973

May-14

Ruby, I took the Chantix for over a year. Started weaning off 6months in. 

Doesn’t matter how long you do or what you do, as long as you DO IT! Lol. Everyone is definitely different. That’s one thing that Covid has taught us, Why did the young healthy person die, when I smoked for 30 years and got it, I had mild symptoms? Very weird.....my advice.....you know yourself, do what’s best for you!