About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

A month no cigs. :)   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started May-18 by KrissyC70; 1333 views.
KrissyC70

May-18

Hi there all!

After a scary ordeal...a stroke at age 50...I threw the cigs away after 24 years of smoking. Even my heart attack at age 47 didn’t stop me from getting back to smoking... that time I “quit” for a couple months. I put quit in air quotes because I merely switched to vaping. Which I now know is dangerous too and will eventually lead me right back to cigarettes. 
This time I’ve only used the patch and lollipops. 
I found this forum after searching for online help yesterday. I found myself frustrated as I thought after a month it would be a bit easier. I’m not really busy though at the moment... so a lot of thinking time. I found the forum and began reading. I love it. Great advice, articles and fellow humans with the same struggles, successes, etc. 

One saying that really helped me yesterday was, “if you want to change your life, change your mind”. I love this because it’s so very true!  It just so happens that I’m changing everything in my life right now. I’m not working at the moment. The other changes I’m making include:  leaving a 30 year relationship where we are toxic together, moving to the mountains in Georgia, quit smoking and drinking. Yay lol

it’s very challenging of course, but there’s almost no other way because they all go hand-in-hand in some way. 

ANYWAY...I am glad I found this forum and I look forward to chatting. Feel free to give me a bit of advice or anything. The lollipops help but I am still experiencing cravings that I am battling. 

• Edited May 18, 2021 5:12 pm  by  KrissyC70
oxanquits

May-18

You are very courageous. Was it a stroke that made you do all these life and lifestyle changes or something else played the role?

Congratulations on 1 month smoke free!

Oksana 

quit March 12

KrissyC70

May-18

Thank you’

it was the stroke, yes. As far as the smoking goes that is. The other things I kind of wanted to change for a while. Thank you for the kind words. It’s definitely not easy. I wish there was a goal date with quitting smoking, like if you make it this far you’ll never want one again. Because I hear the stories of people after seven or eight years that’s still want one in that troubles me

KrissyC70

May-18

But trying to strengthen my positive attitude!

Loreficent

May-18

Hi Krissy,

Congratulations on a month! That is wonderful. And to be so young yet and get this going! All those exciting changes in your life...so fantastic.

If you look at the beginning of the May 2021 Ex-Smokers tab there is information from the Mods of this forum. About half way down first page there is a highlighted sentence “start your homework here” or something like that. Click that and read as much as you can. Articles are short and informative and very readable and mostly inspiring. Learning about addiction is essential. It will help you understand what is going on in moments and ride things out. Here is a link to a free E-book that will help a ton too. Just scroll down and start reading. It will help to understand and know your adversary, so to speak, and also help to understand that the only adversary is you.

You can do this! Of that I’m certain. Yes, a goal date to total memory loss of having been a smoker would be nice in some ways. Since that isn’t possible, perhaps hold onto the memory, hang tough, become empowered by quitting, and realize how strong you really are instead! Don’t  be too troubled by hearing about folks a few years out still thinking about smoking. Those thoughts won’t kill them and they know it. Hopefully this isn’t too harsh, but if I were you, I’d be more troubled by continuing to smoke with a heart attack and stroke already under your belt. 
You got this. The only goal date needed is the one we are in. One day at a time gets us there. blush

Oops...forgot the link. Here you go:

https://whyquit.com/ffn/index.html

oxanquits

May-18

I imagine all those changes require a lot of strength, you deserve the kind words. You have a beautiful story. Regarding wanting to smoke in the future, I wouldn’t be worried now, give it a time, get yourself educated and don’t take another puff, that’s the only rule, and you will be fine.

If you have a thought to smoke watch this, and notice where this thought came from:

https://www.quittrain.com/topic/4812-tobacco-wars-documentary-episodes-1-2-3/

KrissyC70

May-18

Hello!  Thank you for the great information...as well as the inspiring words.  Your words were not too harsh because they are TRUE!  100%. I wish that that took away the cravings though. It makes it that much more meaningful sure but still the same daily struggle. 
I will just continue to take it all a day at a time, taking it in stride, and remembering that I will never be a smoker again!  Which is exciting. 
i’m going to go read around in the area you mentioned. ??

• Edited May 18, 2021 5:02 pm  by  KrissyC70
KrissyC70

May-18

Thank you!

I have never heard of this documentary before and will go check it out thanks so much. 

KrissyC70

May-18

By the way, you are a very kind spirit!  
It does take a lot of strength. 
I bet you are very strong also!

Loreficent

May-18

Oh good, I’m glad not too harsh. Yes...if only these things that happen lessened the daily struggle. I’m sure lots more folks would quit and stay quit. So what is the magic formula, right? I think it is what Oxi said “just don’t smoke”. Early on I had a bit of mantra which was “this feeling and desire will pass whether I smoke or not”. They did, and still do. 
Whenever Willpower and Emotion struggle, Emotion will win. Hands down, every time. We just aren’t built otherwise. So for me it also helped to take the emotion out of it some. That was reinforced by learning about addiction and nicotine and how it acts on our system. I turned it into a real substance with real affects in my mind. This helped me understand it as I would say, a glass of milk, or salad, or whatever, the point was it was a real substance separate from the cigarette which was my deliver system for the drug. For others it is vaping or some other form. Anyway...I’m nattering without much focus. Learn about the addiction and how it works on your body. 
Im glad you found the Forum. It is tremendously helpful in so many ways. Just knowing everyone here “gets it”. Stick close and take it one day at a time. You are stronger than you know!

And yes!! It is exciting to stop smoking and recover. Very much so. Glad you feel that too! blush