About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NOPE Pledge, Wednesday 19th May 2021   General Chit-Chat

Started May-18 by Jatchat; 454 views.
Jatchat

May-18

I had a slip yesterday, torrid time  with counselling, back on track, I pledge NOPE today

Please join me

overdoze

May-19

pledging nope today. 

Celebrating 3 weeks today. Cant believe i made it, first week i was so tired and slept a lot. 

Overdoz quit April 28, 2021

Jatchat

May-19

Congratulations

overdoze

May-19

Thanks. Its the 3rd attempt this year so far at quitting, i find myself w a cigarette and im like i cant shake this thing, i have no cravings at the moment but im using the patch. Hope your having a good day down under..

Anne2020

May-19

I hope you make it over the craving hump this time.  I know it can seem insurmountable at times, you want to lock yourself in a closet or a coma to get away from those cravings but, just like a hangover, there is only one way to get past them and that is through them.   I used the power of suggestion to convince myself that a craving was a welcome event that told me my body was healing from the abuse I had inflicted with smoking.  Riding out the craving wave, like surfing, I rejoiced whenever a craving came up.  Don't forget, you are only fighting yourself.  It's your brain that tells you to smoke.  You can train your brain to tell how wonderful to feel these cravings because you know its sign that you have not smoked.

Having been here before, you know what to expect.  Its time you outsmarted yourself and took control of what you really want your lifestyle to be.  They are, after all, only cigarettes.  Can you imagine if you had to fight to learn to walk again after a stroke caused from your years of smoking.  Imagine that for a moment.  It gives me shivers thinking of the risks involved with smoking.          

Jatchat

May-19

Yeah it looks like a good day, weathers fine, pick up a second hand computer for my 4WD today, have to get it fitted though, I am into walking a bit and have just started a exercise regime after my op, my back is sore. but not complaining.

Loreficent

May-19

I like this Anne:

“They are, after all, only cigarettes. “

It is crazy how we built these little tobacco filled paper tubes up as some form of life sustenance. Seriously, we fell for that...?!

So good to get free of that thought! It is also, after all, only a thought. 

Anne2020

May-19

I really liked yours - it is, after all, 'only a thought'.    Well said.  

boylant22

May-19

Anthony, So sorry you are having such a tough go of it. But so admire your perseverance and ability to keep fighting!  I have complete faith you are going to get it to stick!

Today is my 80th day smoke free. Doesn’t seem possible in some ways, and in others it seems a lifetime. 

I know everyone has different experiences, but I’m here to offer some hope that it really has gotten better. Mentally I don’t want a cigarette anymore.  Physically I’m still working my way through weening off the gum. Even when times have been hard or stressful, I seem to have broken the mental urge to “fix” it by smoking. That’s not to say smoking doesn’t still cross my mind, but I am much more easily able to dismiss the thought and move on about my day. 

I’m looking forward to getting past the last of the icky 3s at 3 months and then moving onward and upward.   

Anyone struggling, you absolutely can do this. Find your personal “why,” and grit through to the other side. No one says it will be easy, but boy is it worth it!

• Edited May 19, 2021 8:18 pm  by  boylant22
boylant22

May-19

And P.S.  Pledging NOPE along side you!