About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

10 Year Anniversary   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started May-20 by Ann052011; 629 views.
Ann052011

May-20

Hello All,

Today I celebrate my 10 year anniversary !!!  All of our journeys to this point have similarities and minor differences but  I want to share why during year 9 I was even more thankful that I had quit. 

I tried for years to quit but it wasn't until I was really having discomfort in my chest, coughing and interruptions in my sleep before I finally was able to do it.  My mother had COPD and was tied to oxygen for the last years of her life.  I knew that was the road I was headed.  (Not to scare newbies but...) It was the ultimate hardest thing I have ever done in my life.  I tried many times and failed.  I was so desperate to help and became more depressed with each failed attempt.  I finally reached out to my PCP and said I need help.  I knew once I brought it up to my doctor I would have to be accountable and I was.  He helped me through the first couple of months.  This forum helped me through the first few years and I will forever be thankful for it.  

Year 9 - Covid - A lot of people died.  Most of whom had underlying conditions.  It was during this year that I was so thankful that I had put all that hard work in.  I know if I had still been smoking I wouldn't have survived Covid if I had come down with it.  

This week I was rewarded again with the results from an Annual Lung Screening offered to former smokers as part of early detection of Lung Cancer.  All clear and normal lungs.  How can I beat that !!!

For all of you struggling in the beginning stages:  FIGHT !!  Fight for your life !!!  It's hard but nothing worth anything in life ever comes easy.  A bit of advice someone on this forum gave me is:  your mind will play games and before you know it you are saying to yourself I will just smoke now and quit later.  Cut those thoughts off immediately !! Tell yourself you have already made the decision to quit so now smoking is non-negotiable.  You thought about that decision long and hard.  So there is no need to even entertain any thoughts.  Cut them right off !!!

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post.  I wish all of you the best !! 

Ann 

Eve1973

May-21

Congratulations Ann!

You are absolutely Correct! Cut those thoughts off! This is a very tough addiction to break, but can be done! 

Again Congratulations! I didn’t know about the screenings, did you just ask your primary to send you? I would like to do that especially since my mom passed of lung cancer. 

I am a more than a year smober. So do you have to wait a certain length of time?

blackbird912

May-23

Ann,  

thanks for posting your 9 year !!!!!
Weird how every time I started smoking again it was my mind telling me that I could smoke just one.  
Again, A BIG congratulations on 9 awesome years.

chris

Ann052011

May-23

Hi Eve,

Ask your PCP.  I don't know how long after you quit they will do it but it's based on how much you smoke.  I think you have to be over 50 and have smoked a pack a day for 30 years or 2 packs a day for 15 years.  I do know someone who was turned down and told they hadn't smoked long enough to qualify.

Good luck !!!  

Thank you for your note of congratulations ! 

Ann

Ann052011

May-23

Thank you Chris !

boylant22

May-24

Awesome job Ann!  Reading success stories helps so much to keep going on the tough days. 

LindaBF

May-30

Congratulations, Ann!  A decade is an awesome milestone!

Loreficent

Jun-1

Here is a link that has the recommendations from a few agencies on the screening Eve. Talk to your Doc. I think you are a bit young yet to start, but as soon as I wrote that I realize I need to re-read the guidelines joy

It used to be during the ILCAP study 20 years ago, the low dose scanners were not common, now they are pretty widespread and you can likely get it done close to you. When you’re older, lol! 

https://www.cancer.org/health-care-professionals/american-cancer-society-prevention-early-detection-guidelines/lung-cancer-screening-guidelines.html

here is another link:

https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/recommendation/lung-cancer-screening

Eve1973

Jun-2

Thanx Lore, 

One link said 55 or older, other said 50 and that was on 3/2021. So hopefully I can start in 2 years. 

Jan2185

Jun-3

Hi Ann

Many, many congratulations on your ten years!! Wow what a feat :)

I have now been smoke free for two years and three months.  It was something I never thought I would or could achieve but am so glad I persevered and reached the ultimate goal.  I had smoked for 47 years and on the 3rd March 2019 I just thought enough is enough.  What was I doing?  I was also a secret smoker so quitting was even more difficult as no one knew - that is when this forum came into my life.  It was so great to have somewhere to go and post exactly what I was feeling to like-minded people who were to become my friends.  There were three of us March 2019 quitters and we religiously posted each month to each other, comparing notes, offering support and just generally being there.

To all you new quitters out there, persevere - I can't stress enough how important it is to keep up the resolve and if you feel you need help and support, come here, post and there will always be someone to reply to you.  Thanks again to my quit buddies - I really don't think I would have succeeded without them :)

Well done again Ann... such an achievement 

Jan sunflower