About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ugh..   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started May-30 by LBSW12; 1779 views.
LBSW12

May-30

Hi all.  Been about a pack a day smoker for 17 yrs.  I managed to get sober from alcohol and have been sober for 14 yrs, but nicotine is kicking me big time.  I have tried patches, gum, leaving the debit card at home so I don't have money to buy any...nothing works.  So, I need support to do this incredibly important, incredibly, seemingly impossible work.  Thanks.  Is it best to set a quit date ?

In reply toRe: msg 1
Anne2020

May-31

If you are like me, a quit date won't help you.  You just have to wake up one morning and decide that's it.  I am not going to start smoking again.  I quit.  It's not impossible - millions have quit.  Some use NRT's, other have a plan, a planned quit date etc.  Some of us just plain stop it, cold turkey.  We don't care what else is going on, we are just not going to smoke anymore.     

You will find lots of support on this forum for all types of quitters.

Welcome.    

LBSW12

May-31

I think you are absolutely right. There is too much risk that I will keep extending the quit date!  I appreciate your words.  Just what I need.

In reply toRe: msg 3
Anne2020

Jun-1

My approach was to  quit cold turkey without warning first thing in the morning - that's it, I decided.  I am not smoking anymore. 

Then over the next days,  I worked on the mind game that gets played out.  Instead of fighting off cravings or suffering through them, I took a more relaxed approach and visualized cravings rolling over me in waves.  Every craving was an indication that my body was healing and re-adjusting itself.  So rather than fight the cravings, I welcome them knowing that they were a source of pride and victory, that I have not smoked.  I felt great right from the start.  I never really struggled through my quit.  It was a mind game challenge I knew I would win since it is my mind I am changing.  It's now been 17 months and I don't miss smoking at all.

You are in control of your mind.   You decide how you experience your quit.  

Cheers and good luck.    

LBSW12

Jun-6

Well, I am doing just horribly.  For all my good intentions, I am still smoking (vaping). Every night I have the best of intentions and psyc myself up.  By the next day, I am at the local gas station getting my fix.  It is costing SO much money that I shouldn't be spending.  My husband/soulmate/best friend died suddenly of Covid in Jan of this year.  So I lost his income and my job was cut to part-time due to Covid.  My daughter/granddaughter live with me so I am supporting all of us.  I don't want to dip into savings because I will need it when I retire (I will be 61 in Aug.)  So I MUST quit for a myriad of reasons...I read this forum and the readings daily and am so envious of those who have quit.  I am at a lost and just feel despair today.

In reply toRe: msg 5
Eve1973

Jun-6

Hi LB,

Since you have experience in self control (being sober) you need to think why you took control of that addiction and do the same with this one. 

Omg is it hard......but it can be done. Lean on the granddaughter for support and your daughter. Put post it’s around house saying a reason why you want to quit. Talk to yourself in the mirror and seriously do whatever it takes. It is so worth the energy and time to do this for yourself. 

I’m SO SORRY about your husband, but you need to be strong and say NO MORE EXCUSES. Have you considered NRTs? There are many out there that help diminish the cravings. 

I’m over 1 year now and I will say I miss it at times, but don’t regret quitting EVER, even for a minute. It’s a toxic old friend that keeps me somber! I literally was killing myself slowly and making BiG Tobacco richer. Why? Because I chose to smoke! Ridiculous, I could blame it on peer pressure, advertising etc.....but in the end I chose to do it. So I took back my life and am extremely HAPPY that I did and SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED my goal. 

So my advice GET MAD AT YOURSELF and say enough is enough and just go buy a lot of gum and say I AM DONE WITH KILLING MYSELF! 

Hugs!

SusanK1960

Jun-6

Hi,

I’m sorry you lost a loved one.  Does smoking help with your feelings of loss?  You are still working and have family around.  That is awesome!  What would you say to your daughter/soulmate/best friend to encourage him/her to quit?  Say the same things to you which you would say to him/her.  

Change your mindset from MUST quit to WANT to quit.  This is an addiction, not a habit. You are the only one who can change this and it will take work.  

You have quit alcohol, so you know it took work to overcome that addiction.  Take it one moment/hour/day at a time.  Don’t look ahead and don’t look back.  Stay in the present.  Read articles here and on the internet, investigate, stay busy, walk, drink ice water thru a straw, repeat.

Take a moment to picture in your mind what a drug addict looks like to you.  What image comes to mind?  Was that image you?

Start with why do you WANT to quit. One day at a time, one success at a time. 

We are here with you!!

Susan

Not smoking since 10/13/19

LBSW12

Jun-6

I can change my thinking from, "Must," to "Want." I will start that immediately. Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I didn't smoke because hubby died, it started way before that. Very insidious addiction.

KatieKat84

Jun-6

Hi,

Im really sorry for the loss of your husband and that you’re having a horrible time with the nicotine addiction. Getting started on your quit is really daunting, when it comes down to it we want to run and hide from the reality of quitting - and go and get our fix!

It sounds like the money side of smoking is a big factor. We can all relate to that! But it can be hard translating why we shouldn’t smoke into actually stopping. I think it has to come from a place of accepting why we do smoke - nicotine addiction - and then deciding for ourselves we don’t want to be a nicotine addict any more. Then the financial, health etc gains all flow as consequences from that mind set. I don’t know if that’s helpful but it made the difference to me.

In terms of getting day 1 under your belt, could you try visualising/planning the situations where you would usually smoke, and what that might look and feel like without it?

It’s hard but it IS possible to get free. We’re all much stronger than we think, it’s just the nicotine addiction that undermines our confidence in ourselves.

Go for it! It’s a wonderful gift to yourself and your family.

best wishes,

Katie

Quit 4th March 2017

LBSW12

Jun-6

You are so sweet and encouraging.  Goodness, try to think of when I smoke.  Since I vape (not sure if people who vape can be on this forum), I literally do it all the time.  At my desk while going through reports, driving, I love to read so do it while sitting in the back yard or on the porch swing.  It is CONSTANT.  So I know I'm getting WAY more nicotine than I did when I used to smoke cigs.  The vaping has been going on for at least 10 yrs so I imagine my lungs are crap.  I went to AA when I realized my entire life had gone down the tubes, but not so with the nicotine.  That's why I say, to me, it is insidious. I can do it and no one knows.  Drinking?  EVERYONE knew I was a drunk.  Again, if these topics are off limits here, please let me know.  I don't want to offend anyone.  I just didn't know where else to turn.