About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smokers cough   Quit Support

Started Jun-11 by Christine611; 310 views.
Christine611

Jun-11

I just recently developed the smokers cough and decided to quit. I have 2 cigarettes left in a pack and want to make them my last. I desperately want this cough to go away. How long will it take, considering it just started?

In reply toRe: msg 1
Christine611

Jun-11

Update - one lousy, stinky cigarette left, forming a mantra that smoking is awful, I hate it and never, ever want to do it again. I can do this!!!!!!!!!

SusanK1960

Jun-11

Hi,

Your “smokers cough” is just one of many annoying problems that will get better if you quit.  The smoke irritates your throat and lungs, so if you quit irritating them, they can start to heal.  It is just one benefit you will notice when you quit.  Read about other improvements on this forum. There are plenty of amazing stories here!

Christine611

Jun-11

Thank you!  I’m looking forward to healing. I am done. Done, done, done. Smoking is officially over for me. The last one was thrown out on the way to work. Here we go. I know it will be hard but I want it. Too many years of kidding myself. Getting the cough was the last straw, like reality smacking me in the face. On to finishing up day one, one minute at a time. 

Anne2020

Jun-11

I love your enthusiasm.  Well done!  You have quit smoking.  Now, don't start smoking again.  Even one cigarette will undermine your cause so don't do it.  Not one puff, ever.  NOPE

Keep us posted on your progress - we are here for you and we want you to succeed.

Cheers!

Christine611

Jun-11

Thank you!  Two hours in and I’ve eaten a lot but am still done, done, done. Cheers will be on the day I wake up without that horrible cough. It creeped right up on me and I’ve been horrified!  I hope it goes away soon to solidify my quit. No more puffs - ever. 

I may be posting a lot. It’s a good replacement for smoking!

boylant22

Jun-11

Best of luck to you!  You definitely have the right attitude and determination carries you through on your early days!  Be strong, fight, distract, and turn that hate of the habit into something positive. I think it’s a little different for everyone, depending on how long/how much you smoked. Your cough may get a little worse before it gets better, but it is your body’s way of healing itself… One of the amazing ways our bodies try to get healthy again. My cough disappeared almost immediately (in fact I was amazed) and I started working out to give me something to do…the first few times were rough and made me realize how much I had damaged myself, but now 100 days later I am feeling and sounding so much better.  You can absolutely do this!

oxanquits

Jun-11

Congratulations, Christine, you’ve got this! One minute at a time and doing whatever it takes not to smoke. That’s the mix for successful quit. Keep us posted, would be great to hear from you as often as you need. The site content itself is a great and useful distraction too.