About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Fresh Quit   Health Support and Encouragement

Started Jun-13 by Jatchat; 874 views.
Jatchat

Jun-13

Starting a fresh quit, I'm not exactly a newcomer been over this well worn track many times so I thought I'd post here. My background is I am a serial quitter, I have more time off cigarettes than on my last quit was 10 days when I let one slip behind my guard, the lesson learnt was not even one cigarette will or shall be allowed this is my new rule, Please help me to keep it. 

Kind regards

Anthony

KatieKat84

Jun-13

Hey Anthony,

Good for you reaching out for that extra bit of support to make your quit stick. I really admire your tenacity in getting straight back on the horse each time you slip. But it would be wonderful if you could get past these early week/months - it’s just so much easier once you put some distance between yourself between yourself and that last cigarette. You can just forget about it and enjoy life!

I don’t know if this appeals but have you thought about planning something for 6 months time like a day trip or whatever and then imagine what it would be like to enjoy that day without thinking about smoking/quitting. That could be something to aim for in the medium term to get you past the first stage? Anyway just a thought. 

You’re a great support to many here on the forum.

Cheers and best,

Katie 

Quit 4th March 2017

rabdid

Jun-13

I made 30 days twice. 4 days about 100 times. Tomorrow is my day 4.

I'm reminding myself how much time I've wasted going to get some smokes. How often I've felt crappy about it. And how now, at day 3 AGAIN, I am hardly able to function as the poison leaves my system.

Lets kick this mother for good. 

In reply toRe: msg 3
Jatchat

Jun-13

Hi rabdid,

I'm with you on this one

Jatchat

Jun-13

Thanks Katie,

It's a great idea, to get me to four months there's a photography trip away in October to Cowra with the local photographic club, that could be a plan. In fact I will start researching, first I have to have the money, perhaps I can talk my wife into quitting. That would be a great boost to our budget, 200 plus dollars a fortnight. I'll have to tread gingerly here.

KatieKat84

Jun-13

Hi Anthony,

That photography trip in October sounds ideal :) hope you can make it work. It’s still one day at a time for any quit but it can help to have that extra thing to aim for, to keep the momentum through wobbly moments.

Hmm yes that is tricky about getting your wife on board. I can imagine it does make it really hard not to slip in weak moments having cigarettes close to hand. It would be so wonderful for the both of you if you were both out of the nicotine swizz. But, everyone has to decide on their own quit. Is she interested in stopping? What does she think of your efforts to stop?

Cheers,

Katie 

Jatchat

Jun-13

Not at the moment, she supports me begrudgingly, and when I smoke her mood lightens up, it's going to be difficult that one

In reply toRe: msg 7
Jatchat

Jun-13

What's with the background? I've got bad written across your post

boylant22

Jun-13

Anthony,

one of the things I did for my quit was put the money I saved at the end of each week into a savings account to keep the money separate and for something special. 3 1/2 months in and I have almost $1400 saved. It’s amazing how it adds up very quickly!  I plan on doing something fun when I hit the 6 month mark. Congratulations on your fresh quit and wishing you all the success to get over the hump this time ??

Jatchat

Jun-13

Thank you Tanya, yes that's a good idea, Money could be spent on rewards.