About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

THE Power of Now   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Jun-14 by Jatchat; 854 views.
Jatchat

Jun-14

The Power of Now

Our power to affect change in our lives always lies in the present. What we do today has great influence over our tomorrows—an important thing to remember in this process. Keep your eye on the prize and stay firmly planted in the day you have in front of you only.

Thank you Terry, wise words indeed

Kind regards

Anthony

Lubbercat

Jun-15

Anthony,

Have not seen you on here for a few days, how is your quit going?

I have been having some slips over the past week still but, normally less then 1 a day........Hoping today to be day 1 with nothing!

Jatchat

Jun-15

I am similar to you, having just one last night after 2 hours talking to a tech guy on the phone sorting out my wifes email

Lubbercat

Jun-15

This is sooooo hard.......I find it hardest when I want to sit and talk to my spouse, and of course, his smokes are laying right there in front of me.........or, if I am super stressed or angry and they are right there.

I know we are going to get there, we just have to keep trying

Anne2020

Jun-15

You need to decide that you don't want those cigarettes.  Right now you are fighting with yourself over something that you think you want and feel you cannot have.  You feel you are depriving yourself.  You need to stop giving that cigarette so much power of you.  

You need to change your mind deep down inside.  Picture the worst thing you can possibly imagine (an ugly old lady coughing and choking while smoking a cigarette ) and fixate that image unto the cigarette.  Now, do you still want it?   

You can lighten your load if you can reclaim the power cigarette's have over you and use it to submit that ugly addiction into history.  

Who is in command?  You or the cigarette?

Jatchat

Jun-15

I know we can do it, I had the one last night, but I have not had one since, admittedly I was asleep for 6 hours, but I have not had one since. I am eating more, but I am eating fruit and nuts, don't want to put on weight. I can talk to my wife while she is smoking and the smoke repulses me, I don't smoke with her, but at night is my trigger point when I relax before I go to bed, have to figure out a plan  for tonight.

9 hours, 42 minutes and 55 seconds. 16 cigarettes not smoked, saving $22.59. Life saved: 1 hour, 20 minutes.

overdoze

Jun-15

Hey Anthony, i stayed off site for a while, to get another quit started since i blew the 5th one of this calendar year, patches are helping me out a lot. I just got off the train and one guy was having a cigarette and it smelled kinda good, but i know where that leads. 

Hope your doing good.

Jatchat

Jun-15

I just added them up on my 16th quit of the year, so hoping to make this one my last, don't laugh, I am a serial quitter

overdoze

Jun-20

how can i not laugh or it bring a smile to my face, since i have quit so many times as well maybe it was more than 5 idk, i do know that the no smoking side is better than the smoking so that is why we come back and choose to not smoke. Smoking is a lot of work and pricy... but oh yeah i understand the relapse of it..

Lubbercat

Jun-21

Well, for now, I am on day 5 having started this quit on the 17th.  Made it through the weekend which is always tough for me in the beginning.  Hoping this one will stick!  

I do get what you are saying but, it is a hard balance when your spouse is still smoking.......not in the house but, right outside the door so they are always there tempting fate.

Hoping this quit will stick