About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quitting the patch   Quit Support

Started Jun-21 by Mamset; 296 views.
Mamset

Jun-21

Hi I new to this forum. I have been reading a lot of helpful stuff.

anyone have tips for how to quit the patch?

In reply toRe: msg 1
Loreficent

Jun-22

Hi there,

I used the patch also. I used the first 21mg one for 6 weeks-ish, then the 14mg and 7mg for around 4 weeks each. Yes, a little longer than the recommendation on the box. I set my mind to one day at a time and not to worry about the extension of time as in the grand scheme, to me, it was more important to stay quit than to rush off for trivial reasons. Folks talk about the cost, but they will spend a good deal more on smokes these days. I’ve not seen a person on here yet that went less than the recommendation of time stay quit. It is certainly possible, I’m sure, and there may be someone here that has. The posts have read though; they end up buying smokes. 
Good luck! You can do it. It is pretty liberating to get to using nothing. 

In reply toRe: msg 1
Lubbercat

Jun-22

The patches are great..........I am using them now and used them a few years back when I had success.  Honestly, when I got to the 7 mg after the first week, I just started waiting later and later in the day to put it on until I got to the place that it did not bother me to not have it on...........I always had one on me if I needed it

Mamset

Jun-22

Thankyou both for your input.

i have been on 21mg patch for 12 weeks. It's working pretty well.

yesterday my patch fell off at some point and I didn't notice. But I felt bad- tired hungry depressed and with a weird kind of surreal feeling.

Then I noticed I was missing my patch. It's kind of eye opening that nicotine or lack of can have such a huge impact.

it left me wondering how and if I can get off the patch now.

Any thoughts on this would be most welcome.

In reply toRe: msg 4
Lubbercat

Jun-23

I always use the patches on my quits........taper down.  We have 21 mg, 14 mg, and 7 mg........When I get to the 7 mg, I start waiting later and later in the day to put them on till I get to the place that it really is not a big deal coming off of them