About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

July 2021 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started Jul-4 by slowblumer; 24173 views.
slowblumer

Jul-4

Jun-1

Welcome New Ex-Smokers

Congratulations on taking that all important first step with cessation - putting the last cigarette out and getting started.

Chances are you don't feel 'ready' to quit, and are wondering how on earth you're going to make it through the next few hours, let alone the next few days, smoke-free.

Take a few deep breaths and relax...

You have found the best quit aid on the planet - this forum community. The folks here know what you're going through because we've all been through it ourselves. We are committed to supporting you every step of the way, so park yourself in front of your computer and read everything you can on this forum board and elsewhere about what to expect from smoking cessation.

Below are a few articles to get you started:

Quit Buddy Groups
The people we move through cessation with - our quit buddies - are special. This thread is a place for those of you who are quitting this month to connect with one another as you get your quit 'legs' under you. It is right here that your quit group will begin to take shape.

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
troymcclure1

Jul-4

My quit date is this Saturday, 10th of July :) I hope it won't be like all my other quit dates... several already this year. The only time I managed to really quit (3 years ago), was without a quit date, without even throwing my huge stash of cigs... Every time I tried to quit since then, it was a matter of hours that my brain was full of uncontrollable thoughts, like it was planted in my brain "I decided to smoke, no questions there"

In reply toRe: msg 2
Marti (Marti974)

Jul-4

Day one is almost done for me.  I decided Independence Day is a great day to set myself free(so cliche- I know) :)   Not gonna lie though- definitely struggling tonight.  

I joined these forums a couple years ago.  Never really posted- just read a lot. At that time,   I decided I was just not going to buy anymore and I didn’t.  For 4 months.   And then I did- now 2+ years later, I’m back and trying again.  

A bit about me- I’m 46, divorced, 2 grown kids (25 and 20) and in Colorado.  I love the support in this group- and the fact that so many of the same people are here from a couple years ago still.  It gives me hope :) 

Cazza2468

Jul-5

Hi Marti

Great to see you here. Hope you got through the night ok and you are on your way to a new smoke free life. .   I will look out for you

Caz

Jatchat

Jul-5

I also started on July 4th yes it is a good day, glad to join you on this quit Marti

Marti (Marti974)

Jul-5

I’ve seen you in here for awhile!  Love that you’re sticking with it and not giving up!  Let’s keep going :) 

xvaper

Jul-5

Hi Marti,

I started on June 29th. I quit on here before and was clean for a few months, then relapsed. A few of the people are still here thank god, and I am getting lots of support.

We're both early in the game right now :)

Jatchat

Jul-5

I'm with you on that one Marti, lets keep the ball rolling, while momentum is working for us

Denim50

Jul-6

Troy, 

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. Not everyone gets it on the first go but you quit before (3 yrs. ago) and you can do it again. Admittedly quitting isn’t easy but is doable and it’s so worth it. You said, ‘Every time I tried to quit since then, it was a matter of hours that my brain was full of uncontrollable thoughts, like it was planted in my brain "I decided to smoke, no questions there".’ As to the matter of hours, when you quit Saturday try not to look too far ahead. Stay in the moment. Sometimes looking too far ahead can cause added stress and/or anxiety that we don’t need starting out. Try to take it one minute, one hour at a time and let that be enough. The time will add up. As to those thoughts, I’m posting a couple of articles here for you about that. Once you start your quit smoking journey please stay close to the forum. If you should need help or feel as if you’re going to cave in, please post at least three times first to give someone on the forum a chance to respond. There’s a lot of wonderful support here on the forum and we’re happy to have you join us. I wish you the best with your new smoke free journey. Have a great day.  

Denim50

Jul-6

Marti, 

It’s great that you’ve returned to the forum. Congratulations on giving quitting another go. What a wonderful way to look at your quit date.  I’m glad you made it through that first tough night and held onto your resolve. Best wishes as you continue on your journey and through your first smoke free week. Have a great day.