About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Almost 2 years...   One Year and Beyond Milestones

Started Jul-7 by alexisfree; 1474 views.
alexisfree

Jul-7

I cannot believe its been almost two years.  I'm so grateful.  This forum helped me so much.  If you are here and quit...stay.  It is the best thing I did for my life and my family.  Here's my best tools:  drink ice cold water thru a straw, walk walk walk, post post post, read read read, journal, pray, and I took lots of hot baths and showers the first 4 months.  I also drank a TON of citron tea (www.amazon.com) and ate a TON of reeses's cups (bought the big packs from BJs and just ate them all day every day.  I only gained 8 lbs in that 4 months and it came off after I started working my WW program again - I had to set aside everything else but my quit b/c I had to make it top priority (after my sobriety of course ;o) ).  I even stopped going to meetings where I knew people would be smoking outside.  I avoided the temptation altogether so I wouldn't have to use my willpower too much (that way I was able to save it for those intense cravings that come).  Just remember - that feeling of intense "I NEED A F*$%ING CIGARETTE RIGHT F*&^%ING NOW!!!" WILL PASS if you give it time.  Delay, distract, do something different.  Each time you make it thru, more nicotine receptors die and you win - one more step towards your ultimate freedom.  I wish they didn't even sell cigarettes.  I think it should be illegal - such a nasty addiction that only kills - NO BENEFIT.  Love to you all and may God bless your quits!  xoxo

Eve1973

Jul-7

Hey Alex! Congratulations.  

Yes all your thoughts above are right on! Stay vigilant! I’m almost 1 year and a half. And still have the thoughts, not everyday but at times……do you still? Just curious. I think everyone’s quit is different and everyone’s limitations are different so kudos to knowing your limitations!

alexisfree

Jul-7

Thanks Eve and congrats to you!  I sat in the courtyard while a co-worker smoked his cigarette yesterday and it smelled nice, but I didn't have a desire to smoke it - I think it was more the nostalgia of my dad used to smoke on the way home from Granny's on Sundays.  The smoke would go out the window, but a bit would come to me sitting in the back seat of the car.  I definitely feel it is important to be vigilant too because I've quit for a long time before and went back to smoking!  Thank God for this forum!!

xvaper

Jul-7

Very inspiring thank you. I'm day 9 on my second quit, cant wait to be where you are.

oxanquits

Jul-7

Hi Alex, thank you fo sharing, all so true! Hot baths and showers were my favorites grinning

Congrats on almost 2 years and more years to come! raised_hands

Oksana,

12-mar-21

• Edited July 7, 2021 6:10 pm  by  oxanquits
sweetstuff76

Jul-8

Congratulations ,

I remember following your posts , I was early in my quit back then too . I’m coming up for 2 years this month ( 23rd ) and it’s the best thing I ever did too , to feel the freedom has been worth it all .

Quit July 23rd 2019 

alexisfree

Jul-8

Congratulations to you too!  Yes, the freedom is so worth all the hard work (mostly mental).  Its amazing how it can feel on the other side of that insane uncomfortableness.  Haha!  Freedom!!!!!!!

In reply toRe: msg 4
alexisfree

Jul-8

You can totally do it!  Freedom is available to all of us.  I'm glad to here you found the message inspiring.  It is all thanks to this forum.  Best of luck to you!  WE can do this! xo

alexisfree

Jul-8

More to come, yes!  I claim it!  xo

xvaper

Jul-8

At times when I think how will I enjoy certain things and situations when I would usually smoke, it helps to know that millions of people have quit and are still having all these moments without smoking and nobody died from quitting .