About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

I Failed My Quit Attempt After 10 Days   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Jul-11 by DM2021; 552 views.
DM2021

Jul-11

I feel so bad, I just bought a pack and plan to just have 3 a day and then try again.

I really wanted to just quit cold turkey.  I had a very questionable cat scan a few weeks ago that showed a possible

emphysema spot on a lower lung lobe that was radiated during breast cancer treatment 10 years ago.

I have a pulmonary doctor appointment in a few weeks for testing for COPD and was hoping to stay smoke free

for that appointment.  Maybe next try will be successful!!!  Need some thoughts please!!

In reply toRe: msg 1
Jatchat

Jul-11

Well you have a very good reason to quit, climb back on the wagon, ditch those cigarettes

DM2021

Jul-11

My plan is to allow 3 a week, then 2 a week then 1 a week and that is it!!!

In reply toRe: msg 3
xvaper

Jul-11

Hi DM,

I know a few people have quit this way, but for me, cold turkey did the trick. Then you don't have to torture yourself thinking about when can you have that next precious cigarette..I am on my second quit on here. I was clean for a few months, then relapsed 6 months ago. Tomorrow I will be 2 weeks into my current quit. During those months I was clean I was doing well, so I know it can be done, and now after this relapse I also know that, at least for me, there is no such thing as controlling the number of cigarettes I am having. It's all or nothing, so it has to be nothing. Dust yourself off and try again. Have you read/watched the materials offered on this forum? I read and re-read all the great quit ebooks and available reading material to remind myself every day why I have to keep clean. The addict mind will try to rationalize and manipulate its way into another fix, especially at the beginning so its important to remind myself all the disgusting things that come with smoking on the outside and inside of my body.

You are worried about your health and your brain tells you to seek comfort in cigarettes even though its completely counterintuitive and the last thing you need right now, because all the brain really wants is its fix. You can make a decision and you can make it work. My cousin smoked 1.5-2 packs a day for 45 years and never wanted to quit. 5 years ago she was having trouble breathing, and the doctor said her lungs were working on such a low capacity she has to stop immediately. She took a one look at the Xray and never smoked again. She had cravings for the first two years, yes, but she saved her life. Now she hardly has cravings and when she does they are very light.

You can do it too.

In reply toRe: msg 3
Jatchat

Jul-11

Good luck with your plan, keep posting and reading the info  on this site it is invaluable

In reply toRe: msg 4
DM2021

Jul-12

Thank you xvaper!!  I so appreciate you taking the time to write to me.  I agree with you that it is the addiction and brain and that once I visit the pulmonary doctor and am given conclusive evidence that I am in peril that will be the deciding factor for me.  

I do want so bad to stop smoking and know that I will do it.

Thank you also to Jatchat, I have been reading a lot  on this site and bought the book Easy Way To Stop Smoking by Allen Carr.  Took a few pages of notes that I read everyday for reference, I added to my day a lot of walking and joined this group as well to help.  I know my health is at stake now and will strive to succeed in quitting this addiction!!!

In reply toRe: msg 6
Jatchat

Jul-12

You're welcome DM

In reply toRe: msg 6
xvaper

Jul-12

wonderful. let me know when you need support.