About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New here, but on day 56 nicotine free   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Jul-26 by Diane0217; 857 views.
Diane0217

Jul-26

Hi. First post here, hopefully I'm doing this right.

So. I'm on Day 56 of being a recovering smoker. I smoked about a pack a day for over 50 years.

I've been using Chantix, and haven't vaped or used nicotine in any form. I kind of tweaked the prescribed Chantix quit methods into one that worked best for me. I started taking it on 04/27/21 with a set Quit Day of 06/01; so my final cigarette would be on Memorial Day.

I smoked as usual for a few days, then started forcing myself to wait longer between cigarettes, adding time as I went. I was down to only smoking once every 12 hours by the time my Quit Day came around. I'm sure this helped a lot, and thank goodness for Chantix. I don't think I could have done this without the stuff.

I have a question for anyone else here who has gone the Chantix route. How long did you stay on it, and what happened when you stopped the medication? Do the cravings come back worse?
The drug has been put on a production hold by Pfizer, and pharmacies can't order it at this time. It's *not* a recall, so anything currently in local store inventories is still available; I got the last few tablets my pharmacy had on the shelf. It's only enough to last me until about mid-August, and I'm concerned about having to stop taking it before I feel ready.

Oh, full disclosure: I live in Washington state and cannabis is legal here. Besides the Chantix, pot has been my biggest help in resisting having a cigarette. (Well, that, my 'Not Yo Mama's Chex Mix', and binge-watching everything from Gilmore Girls to Fear the Walking Dead.)
Much to the chagrin of my rather close-minded pulmonologist, I have no intention of quitting smoking pot. Like, ever. He is proud of me for quitting cigarettes though, so that's something.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this place. I wish I'd found y'all about two months ago, but better late than never. Ha - kinda like me and my taking over 50 years to finally quit smoking.

Kittyarnold

Jul-30

I hope you are still free of nicotine...I used Chantix to quit a 55 yr habit...and that was 14 yrs ago...and I will never go back...I also chose not to try pot because it would be the same hand to mouth...it was better for me....stick with it...

Eve1973

Jul-30

Hi Diane,

I used Chantix to quit also. I journaled my getting off the Chantix. 

Go under the tab Health and Support…….look for the title WEANING off Chantix. You can read how I did it. Hugs and keep up the great job! It’s so freeing to not be a slave to a white stick!

Diane0217

Jul-30

Thanks, I will definitely go read that! It sounds like exactly what I need to know, especially since I'm not going to be able to get any more Chantix. I've been thinking that maybe I should start taking 1 a day instead of 2 until I run out, so what you wrote in your journal should be helpful.  

I'm 60 days nicotine free today; still can't believe that I'm now a recovering smoker. 

***EDIT to add a question - where is this Health and Support tab? I don't know if it's because I'm just a basic member or because I'm on my phone, but I see no tabs anywhere. There's a dropdown menu with Discussions, but I'm not seeing any tabs or even how to get to the forum home page.  ‍??

• Edited July 30, 2021 6:23 pm  by  Diane0217
In reply toRe: msg 4
HerbSouth

Jul-31

In reply toRe: msg 1
HerbSouth

Jul-31

In reply toRe: msg 6
HerbSouth

Jul-31

In reply toRe: msg 6
HerbSouth

Jul-31

Cazza2468

Aug-22

Hi Diane I used Chantix and During the third month I first cut back to one pill a day then a half a pill a day and then a half a pill every second day. By the time I ran out of pills I didn’t notice any difference.

It’s essentially made my pills last for four months all together. I didn’t really have much trouble not smoking after that. I still thought about smoking but I didn’t have any great urges to actually smoke.

caz