About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

August 2021 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started Aug-1 by Terry (abquitsmking); 26117 views.
freckled1968

Aug-22

Yay well done Diana for not smoking. That junky thinking can be so damn hard to push past. I say stick with the lozenges until you’re more solid in your quit.There way better than smoking.

Decided not to sand my floors today as I realised I really don’t need any extra stress at this point in my quit, so will do them in a month or so time when I feel a bit more settled

keep on NOPING, and we’ll done again for not smoking!

freckles xxx

In reply toRe: msg 187
freckled1968

Aug-22

5 really good things I’ve found since quitting vaping(I smoked for 30 years, 30 a day, quit for 4, and vaped for6)

1- I have lost a really nasty hacking cough accompanied by phlegm (sorry tmi)

2- I can breathe easier and deeper into my lungs

3- my daughter is proud of me

4- I have more money

5- I’m not quite as worried if I catch covid

I hope to add to this list as time goes on

happy somber Sunday all

freckles xxx

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Aug-22

Good Morning Sassy!

I think taking walks are a wonderful thing! Though not sure about tempting myself by being around other smokers.  LOL Am glad you managed to get through that without any major urges!  I know many on here have significant others who are still smokers.. and my hubby quit cold turkey...almost 9 months before i  quit!  

It looks to be a very sunshiny Sunday and warm here on my part of the planet!  Here's to another day of being a quitter!

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Aug-22

Good Morning!

I am 100% sure that i wont see any of the money..but it is the principle and if i can keep them from doing this to someone else..so be it!  As far as the not smoking during this..yea...am doing okay!  Today am focusing on changing my mindset and perception of what smoking truly is doing...why would I allow that...it isnt logical...

Let me count the ways, that smoking is trying to kill me...it has lead to severe periodontal disease and bone loss..so now i have dentures...with lots of gluey goop because i hardly have a palate because of the loss of bone.  I have had to have two spinal fusions for Degenerative disc disease...and yet i was still sucking on that poison stick..in 2008, I had a heart attack...and 8 stents in my heart..(I had quit smoking...for 3 and 1/2 years)  Discovered looking through my medical records that i had emphysema..had no idea...i guess the doctors just assumed i knew that...yet here i was smoking away...

I just want off the crazy train...

Hugs

Diana

Jatchat

Aug-22

I guess I belong here now with the August quitters, into my fourth day. It's no great shame to  be using NRT, I have found it helps, I am using a patch, it helps, trust you got over your mini crisis, well done for getting through that situation. I had a a craving last night that had me thinking just one, I said to myself you have a choice, to live or to die I choose life and went to bed and slept it off.

You are living with a lot of stress with your house painting maintenance thing, I to have had problems with a painter in the past, who coated my whole house with linseed oil when he should have used a polyurethane as specified, we had to get in the Housing authorities to sort the mess out, short story I was not happy with the outcome. Any way we are here now fighting another demon good luck with your quit

Kind regards

Anthony, 

PS I was a 40 year 2 pack a day smoker, now into my fourth day quit

Jatchat

Aug-22

There's only one way out of your situation Jason  i.e. Do Not Smoke, there is plenty of reading material on this site especially in the Library section, Read and post, regularly educate your mind and so motivate yourself in the process, you have plenty of good reasons to quit , your own health and your significant relationship. Treat it as number one priority in your life.

You will find a new sense of life and purpose once you have thrown off the slavery to the cigarette,, Freedom!

Kind regards

Anthony

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Aug-22

Good Evening down under!!!

Yay to day 4!  I admire the fact that you jumped back on the quit train immediately...many allow themselves to be defeated...I know I have in the past and it took me a long while to show my face back on this board...(think 2018 time frame with Denim50 and BMann) 

There are different schools of thought when it comes to quitting, and they can be conflicting.  Last night spent a great deal of time..researching what actually works...and what i discovered...Cold turkey vs..NRTs   is that they both work...if you change your mindset..so am going to keep my lozenges...and work on my braincells!  

Good job on getting past the urge! 

Life whether I am a smoker or not...has stressful moments..as well as happy moments, sad moments and very boring moments...all of which i fed my addiction..it didnt change the moment...

Hugs

Diana

Jatchat

Aug-22

I can relate to your benefits of Not Smoking freckles, great list

I would add, the health benefits of not smoking for me is to be clear of the worry of I am committing slow suicide by smoking

My teeth have a new lease of life now I am brushing and flossing more regularly now despite periodontal disease with the help of dental advice

I am able to walk up hills now without losing breath

My food tastes better now, I have rejigged my diet, no more sugar and less fat,

I have lost 30 Kg in weight since starting this new health regime with the help of a dietician and exercise physiologist

In short I am taking better care of my body, my GP and nurses say I am a model patient LOL

My quit couselling therapist says I am the hardest case she has had.

My mental health has improved out of sight

Just a few improvements eh

Kind regards

Anthony

PS Good luck on your quit

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Aug-22

Good Evening over yonder!  

I watched a video...yesterday...on why NRT's are good for not smoking and why they are different...thought it was interesting...and helped me to understand why it was okay.  So yes, going to use my lozenges...and stay focused on changing my mindset..and attitude towards this addiction.  

I live in an old victorian...with all hardwood flooring and wood work throughout..am sure my floors could use a proper refinishing!  I am not a very handy person...it isnt cause I havent watched HGTV...it is just I am that inept in that department!  LOL   I am sure when you finally decide to sand and varnish your floors, they will be stunning!  and you are right to be kind to yourself during this transition!

not one puff today!!!  

Hugs

Diana

Sassy47

Aug-22

Good morning.  My husband is a smoker.  I did find yesterday a bit more challenging.  I couldn't sit outside in my gazebo with him for too long.  But I made it through another day  Each craving I don't give into gives me that much more confidence? Have a great day!