About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ex smoker for 6 years and relapsed smoking for 5 years   Quit Support

Started Sep-27 by Lee.T; 979 views.
Lee.T

Sep-27

Hi All. This forum helped me stop smoking which I did for 5 years and had no thought or cravings to have a smoke. I worked so hard at it and won to be a non smoker totally free of it and thanked God hugely and swore I would never touch a smoke again. One day I caught my son smoking and showed him how easy it was to stop by taking a puff and saying I wont smoke tomorrow. BIG BIG BIG MISTAKE. I regret it so badly and here I am back here battling to quit again after smoking 5 years again. My son has since quit and here I am alone battling again. I'm finding it harder than ever to get back on track and I so badly need support and a team to be with quitting and supporting each other. I feel so down at the moment so am back here pleading for support again.  

In reply toRe: msg 1
Anne2020

Sep-27

Hey Lee,   I totally feel for ya.  One puff is enough to start the spiral down.  I bet most people don't realize that one puff can get your hooked.   You have made the right decision and come to the right place.  You know this forum will support you all the way, every minute of every day.  That's just how to deal with it too - one minute at a time.

You know you can do this, you know what it takes.  Blast those smokes back into the past where they once were.  Remember how happy you were to have quit and try to rekindle those memories and feelings.  It can be twice as hard to quit after a relapse but you can do it.

Lee.T

Sep-28

Thank you.

CindiS319

Sep-28

Wow that is one of the biggest fears for me.  I'm almost at 4 years quit and there have been.... times, oh boy, times I thought about one puff.  I've woken up from dreams that I was smoking and feel guilty.  But, if nothing else, you have just proven to me (yet again) that ONE PUFF can start the cycle all over.  Well, you are back here now and that's what counts!  You did it before and you can do it again.  Don't beat yourself up and just look ahead.  I don't get on here as much anymore.  Especially my first year where I think I spent 8 hours a day reading and posting like 100 messages a day.  It was my primary tool in my quit and I know I couldn't have done it without my quit buddies (who almost all of them are still quit today).  You can do this Lee!  Welcome back!

Lee.T

Sep-28

I so hope so Cindi. I recall how hard it was for me the first time and I was the happiest person to have made it and never even thought of a smoke even being silly with my son and never for one minute though I would be back where I started. How I wish I could turn the clock back. Anyway I have to try and get back off this terrible habit and battling to get it right. Its going to take a lot more than the first time quitting i think so I'll be grateful for encouragement and support from many. I have to do this and the sooner the better. Praying hard

In reply toRe: msg 5
CindiS319

Sep-28

There's so many things in my life I wish I could turn the clock back.  You can do this!  It's going to be hard but you know the routine...just don't smoke!  Wishing you the best!

SenseiShido

Oct-1

The smoking dreams are HORRIBLE!!! You wake up thinking you fell.....

Mercy (mercy164)

Oct-1

Hi Lee,

I have a similar story. I quit for 10 years and had no cravings. I ended up with a painful chronic disease, and I could not stand the pain, so I smoked. I don't know if I could have done better if I did it again, but I am here now. What a mistake! It has been over 6 years and I still cannot quit again. 

It is nice to meet you.

Mercy

Day 3

Anne2020

Oct-1

Good to see you back Mercy,  2 days is a solid start and day 3 is your first 'icky 3'.  You know you can do it - you have done it before.  You know what your triggers are.  This is not going to be the same as the last quit or any other quit.  I believe every quit effort is different for different reasons so don't expect anything just because it happened that way last time.  You are a different person and life is different.  

Treat this quit as if it were your first, pull out all the stops and get all your distractions ready,  keep your reasons handy and go for it.  You know you have the determination to do it.  2 days is a solid start - now build on it.  Let's face it, the first day is the toughest.  You will start to feel a few hours of peace every so often and then those crave waves are going to come crashing in.  Do whatever you have to, to get over them and hang on to your resolve. 

We're all cheering for you and ready to back you up. 

Cheers on Day 3!!!    

• Edited October 1, 2021 10:39 am  by  Anne2020
Mercy (mercy164)

Oct-1

Hi Anne,

Thank you so much. I needed to hear a lot of that. It really helped. I do need to think  of this as my first quit and be fully ready. I see where I am not. I feel stronger now just getting in the right mindset.

Have a great day!