About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

October 2021 Ex-Smokers Start Here   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Oct-7 by slowblumer; 7765 views.
slowblumer

Oct-7

Aug-1

Welcome New Ex-Smokers

Congratulations on taking that all important first step with cessation - putting the last cigarette out and getting started.

Chances are you don't feel 'ready' to quit, and are wondering how on earth you're going to make it through the next few hours, let alone the next few days, smoke-free.

Take a few deep breaths and relax...

You have found the best quit aid on the planet - this forum community. The folks here know what you're going through because we've all been through it ourselves. We are committed to supporting you every step of the way, so park yourself in front of your computer and read everything you can on this forum board and elsewhere about what to expect from smoking cessation.

Below are a few articles to get you started:

Quit Buddy Groups
The people we move through cessation with - our quit buddies - are special. This thread is a place for those of you who are quitting this month to connect with one another as you get your quit 'legs' under you. It is right here that your qu
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
Mercy (mercy164)

Oct-9

Hello,

I am now starting back on day 1 today. I smoked yesterday, but I am back and starting over. : )

Mercy

day 1

Denim50

Oct-10

Hey Mercy, 

I’m so glad to see you getting right back to your quit. I remember when quitting interrupted my sleep too. I’m sorry to hear you’re going through that. Unfortunately, it’s something many experience during cessation, along with other symptoms. Please know though, as hard as quitting is, it is doable and it will get more manageable and better with time. For now though, just stay in the moment and take each day as it comes, one at a time. You can do this. Also remember, if you feel like you’re going to give into a craving, please post at least three times three minutes a part to give someone here a chance to respond and try to help you. Congratulations on your decision to quit again and best wishes as you move forward. relaxed 

• Edited October 10, 2021 10:52 am  by  Denim50
Denim50

Oct-10

Hey Mercy, 

How is day 2 going? Please post and let us know how you’re doing. 

timmy777

Oct-10

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and just started my quit journey, I am 7 days smoke free so far, I smoked for about 22 years.  Just reading some of the fantastic material posted on here (both links and just stories from people who have quit) has really helped me so far. The first few days were really rough, I couldn't sleep and I was really struggling, than on the 3rd night I actually got a full night's sleep and woke up on day 4 feeling much better, the intensity of the cravings had suddenly just reduced, it was like magic grinning .  Sitting here on day 7 I am still getting some cravings but absolutely nothing like those horrible first few days. I am feeling really good, I think I can do this.

Denim50

Oct-11

Hey Timmy, 

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your first smoke free week! You can do this and I wish you the best as you head into week two. The forum is a great place for information about cessation and for support and encouragement with your quit. We all support and cheer each other on. So, keep reading, keep posting, and join in. We’re glad you’re here and I look forward to seeing you around the forum. I’m glad you’re feeling good about your quit and that the cravings have lessened for you, but please remember to reach out at any time should you need support and/or help with your quit. Again, congratulations and welcome. 

Have a great day.  

Lubbercat

Oct-11

Timmy

Welcome to the forum.  The cravings should continue getting less and less just know that they can come back on occasion very strong.......be aware and just every craving you get past is that much closer to being healed!  Good luck and check in with all of us.  Let us know how you are doing or yell for help if needed.

Mercy (mercy164)

Oct-11

Hi Denim,

I didn't get through again, but am starting again tomorrow. I am thankful for your email, as I might not have set a new date without your support and the group here.

I am hard on myself for failing. I am trying to just look forward to starting again and not back at my failings.

Thanks,

Mercy

timmy777

Oct-12

Hi Mercy,

Don't be hard on yourself, give yourself a pat on the back for getting straight back up and onto quitting again muscle.  Each you time you go without smoking, you are not only teaching your body to go without nicotine, you are also learning what might trigger you and potential ways to try and avoid it or manage it differently next time. You got this, you can do it Mercy.

Lubbercat

Oct-12

Mercy

I honestly believe that the first few days are so hard to get through, worse then all the others.  Just keep track of what is making you slip and put a plan in place each time to get past those hurdles, that just brings you one step closer to keeping the next quit.

Hope today is the day!  Just don't smoke!