About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quit Day Prep   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Oct-7 by kern3; 1487 views.
kern3

Oct-7

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kernan and my quit date is set for 10/11.  I have my week completely free for exercising, reading, snacking or doing whatever is necessary to quit cold turkey.  Right now I'm tapering down how often I smoke and I've stopped alcohol.  In 24 years I've only had 4 short stoppages of smoking not lasting more than 3 weeks and I'm determined to work at it and get it right one moment and one day at a time.

Any advice on snacks, foods or drinks that helped anyone in the beginning stages of their quit would be helpful or general advice as well.  Thanks.

In reply toRe: msg 1
Diana (DianaSaigo)

Oct-7

Hi Kernan!

Woohoo on your decision!  I drink lots of water...heard orange juice is really good too for flushing nicotine out of your system.  I bought a bunch of veggies...like cucumbers, celery, baby carrots, bell peppers, mushrooms.  (eliminated the carrots and celery, cause my dentures dont like them!)  Also kept fruit on hand...so that way i wasnt eating junk food!  also, coffee stirrers...are a great thing to chew on...as well as gum...I have been trying to eat very healthy high protein, high fiber meals...

Also this forum has a wealth of information...and another great site is Whyquit.com  you will find alot of useful material there as well...

Today is my 9 week mark...so woohoo!

Diana

kern3

Oct-7

Thank you, Diana.  And congrats on your 9 weeks!!!

In reply toRe: msg 3
Diana (DianaSaigo)

Oct-7

you are quite welcome!  will check in on you!

Lubbercat

Oct-8

Kernan

Welcome and congratulations on your decision to quit.

I used a lot of ice water, frozen grapes, sugar free mints is another I really liked.  Make a list of your reasons to quit and keep it handy to read when you are feeling weak......Mostly, Just don't smoke.  Come on here and read lots and post often.....keeping your hands busy will help.

Anne2020

Oct-8

Good for you!  Excellent decision.  I also quite cold turkey.  Get through the first three days, and you are into maintenance.  Get through the next three weeks and you have built a solid foundation to avoid the temptations brought on by 'crave waves'.  Get through those three months and you are will on your way to your new smokefree lifestyle.

Many who have gone cold turkey will say that, once you get past the first few days, it was easier than they thought it would be.  I myself found it rather easy.  

I have a penchant for chocolate covered raisins.  There were a few crave waves that took some real effort to get past - long hot showers.

Staying in touch with this forum made a huge difference for me.  Reading, corresponding and posting all helped.

This is the single best health decision of your life - good for you!  

kern3

Oct-8

Thank you!

kern3

Oct-13

HEY !!! New quit day set!

So.... the idea was to start on the 11th but had a major setback that kept me from exercising - exercising is priority 1 or 1a in my quit plan.  I didn't let that detour me though - I just kept tapering down on smoking and kept hydrating.  I believe I've eliminated at least 3 to 4 smoking excuses in my quit date extension.  Either way today is now my quit day and I'm looking forward to the journey.

In reply toRe: msg 9
xvaper

Oct-13

Congratulations Kern on the start of your journey. Things might get a little rough at first because you are detoxing but please use all the information and reading material on here to snap your junkie brain out and concentrate on why you are doing it. You are stronger than this addiction and you can do it,  you can beat this thing which is killing you. You will stop paying the tobacco companies to kill yourself, how brilliant is that?
Post here often!