About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

November 2021 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 10/31/21 by Terry (abquitsmking); 13791 views.
Msg 6858.36 deleted
oxanquits

11/11/21

You are entering the safer area, with no more physical influence, only mental. Brain will play it’s tricks, the crazier they are the harder it is to get you. Be proud of yourself. Day 3 is great.

isabella1759

11/11/21

Day 4 .... Had a couple "stinkin thinkin" thoughts,but that's all it is,thoughts! I could feel me getting snappy,and feeling sorry for my self..WAAAA!  just went to my bed and read... I think the  trick is to keep busy...Too much time on your hands, makes me bored and grumpy! Hope everyone is doing well?

Jatchat

11/12/21

Hi Isabella,

Congratulations to you on day 4, well done, I am on day 13 and soon to realise day 14 on Sunday

kind regards

anthony

Lubbercat

11/12/21

Isabella

Congratulations on 4 days, you are doing this.  The staying busy thing is a must for me!  One thing to remember though is if what you are doing makes you think of smoking, switch and do something else!

Lubbercat

11/12/21

Anthony

Way to go on 13 days done!  You can do this just keep going forward one day at a time

oxanquits

11/12/21

Day 4 is amazing, there is a lot to protect by now, it’s not just 1 day which could be restarted easily. Now it is getting serious :) you probably learned a lot about yourself too, sneaky thoughts, how do you try to cheat yourself.. they are just thoughts as you say, you’re so much stronger! every day with more muscle. Remember to cherish each minute-hour-day smoke free, you’re doing great.

In reply toRe: msg 1
feafee78

11/12/21

Day 4! I’m struggling a little bit, thinking too much about tomorrow. It’ll be the last day I could smoke and hide it for a while. I have family coming to stay for a week on Sunday and they think I’ve still been quit for years. I have surgery on Monday and won’t be able to drive for 2-3 weeks afterward. Surgery is, of course, all the more reason to not be tempted to smoke tomorrow. Still, feeling like it’s that “last chance” (eye roll) seems to bother me. Trying to just not think about it. I’ve been binge watching tv this week and have almost finished a 4 season show! 

timmy777

11/12/21

Hang in there friend, you are past day 3 and doing great. Don't let your mind play tricks just so it can sneak in another nicotine hit, keep binge watching those tv shows instead sunglasses

Denim50

11/12/21

Hey Feafee, 

First of all, congratulations on four days smoke free! I’m sorry to hear that you have to have a operation. I hope all goes well. Sending good thoughts your way and best wishes for a speedy recovery. I’m glad you posted here about those thoughts. Please don’t give into them, instead try changing them. I’ll leave three helpful articles with information that can help greatly with how to do just that. Also, please try to focus on the moment and not on tomorrow. You can do this. The addiction can be a trickster. Don’t let that ‘last chance’ thought wreck your quit. Keep the distraction going. Remember, you are winning. I know at times it may feel otherwise but think of this, when the smokes aka addiction was winning and you were smoking did you feel this way? No, because it was winning but now you are winning so it’s raising a ruckus, much like a child having a temper tantrum because they can’t have something they want. The addiction wants that nicotine and chemicals. Your body is healing and the addiction is rebelling. One thing I did for myself when quitting, because this addiction is not only physical but also psychological, is that I took a white straw about the same diameter as a cigarette and I cut it about the same length as a cigarette, at that point it weighed about the same too. Then, I held it like I did a cigarette because I was so accustomed to having a cigarette in my hand. The straw being white like a cigarette, about the same diameter, length, and weight as one, and held the same way, tricks the mind a bit I think. Anyway, it certainly helped me and if I forgot and put it to my mouth so what, it was only a straw. I can’t begin to tell you how long I kept straws with me. A added bonus was that I could keep them with me even in places where smoking was prohibited. One of my quit-buddies found that chewing on a straw helped him. Also, drinking ice water through a straw is highly recommended in many of the forum articles and multiple people on the forum have found that has helped them. So however you choose to use them, I do and would definitely recommend straws. Anyway, they are certainly something worth considering. Please keep posting and remember that we’re all here cheering you on and wishing you all the best. 

Have a great day.  

• Edited November 12, 2021 9:28 pm  by  Denim50