About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quit smoking   Quit Support

Started 11/4/21 by Lee.T; 3519 views.
Lee.T

Aug-16

Is there anybody that has a recording to send me that I can listen to help me get back on track to quiting smoking. I am really battling and just need a boost here of positive thinking about quiting again. I'm battling to find that good positive feeling to quit to get me started??. I just need something positive to listen to or something thats motivating.

In reply toRe: msg 26
candrew

Aug-16

Hey Lee-

Just read your post. I want to support you today. I understand that you have relapsed recently. It's a bi**h when this happens. Personally, I am a serial relapser. All this year I have stopped and started dozens of times and each time I think that I will never be able to overcome my addiction. 

I found Allen Carr's book a few years ago. Yea, it has been years that I have been trying to quit.

This helped

https://download.cnet.com/Easy-way-to-Stop-Smoking-by-Allen-Carr-audiobook/3000-2129_4-78266185.html

I believe you can listen to it. 

good day,

Andrew

CC to xvaper

Wow Andrew, you beat me to it!!  I thought I remembered there was an audiobook from Allen Carr but so glad you had the link handy.  Thank you!

LeeT, I also listened to affirmations in the beginning on YouTube.  There's a bunch out there that play soothing music and tell you non-smoking affirmations to get it into your subliminal.

My best thing was reading all the articles on VeryWellMind and whyquit.net (or .com).  I even watched horrible videos about Big Tobacco companies and anything else that made me believe smoking was horrible.

Lee.T

Aug-16

Thanks so much Andrew. The link takes me to the page with the Allen car book but not sure how to down load it. Am I supposed to down load an app or something to get it. Sorry am not good at these things

Lee.T

Aug-16

Thank you Cindi. I believe the best way to start would be not to have that morning smoke. I'm fine and feel that I don't need it then i panic and and I get anxious that if I don't have it I'm going to get an extreme urge at work and I won't be able to get out to have it  because they don't know I am smoking  again. I suddenly get all these thoughts and so land up having that smoke so that I can last until lunch time when I can get out to have one. It is so frustrating because i dont want to have that lunchtime one either and I just wish I didn't build myself up in the morning to such a state of what might happen if I get an extreme urge at work if I didn't have that smoke in the morning so that i can last until lunchtime even though my plan is not to have that lunchtime one.  I hate feeling like that and having those panic attacks. My mind is playing tricks on me. I feel so helpless and am desperate to free myself ftom this. So much so I land up having to take a calm tablet.

In reply toRe: msg 30

I absolutely understand every feeling you are having because I had them myself.  I must have quit 30+ times for 15 minutes each time (well maybe more than that).  When they say the first week is hell, it is no exaggeration.  The first DAY is torture and the anxiety and panic can really be horrible.  It seriously is overcoming an addiction like heroin where you are going to go through withdrawal (physical and emotional) and it is not fun.  But the minute you have one puff (whether is has been 15 minutes, one day, one year or 5 years) all of those receptors are lit up again and you are back at ground zero.  That is why the saying Not One Puff Ever is so true.  Things like patches, gum, lozenges, Chantix, etc. can really help with the physical withdrawal so it is not so drastic as going Cold Turkey.  But everyone needs to find what works for them and you don't want to trade the smoking addiction for a different nicotine addiction.  

Lee.T

Aug-16

I totally agree with you. Both times I quit cold turkey and I found reasons to work on that made me deside that's it. This time I'm just finding it hard to work on a good reason. Yes the first time I stopped it was because of health and scary reasons. Second time was I looked at how many people who dont smoke especially little kids going through having to have lung replacements or other underlying illnesses and here I was gifted with nothing wrong with me and I was abusing the gift God gave me and not having problems like so many were having that werent even smokers. It made me feel aweful. It shook me and I found myself determined so i managed to give up again. As much as I feel the two reasons were valid it's not sinking this time. Anyway I know I have to do it for myself and take the necessary steps myself. Sadly I'm crying for help this time round because I'm not finding a new reason to motivate myself. I'll keep trying. Something has to eventually trigger me and I pray its very soon. I'm going to really try not to have that smoke tomorrow. Wish me luck

In reply toRe: msg 32

I am wishing you luck all the way.  I remember writing down all my reasons for quitting so many times and after a period of time, just lost the motivation.  It really is exhausting to not smoke.  Man it sounds so stupid, but to fight those cravings and find something to keep you busy and not thinking about it is really exhausting.  There were days in the beginning that I just went to bed because I couldn't take fighting it anymore that day and was going to cave.  Or I came on here and shared with everyone what I was going through and they really helped me through those rough times.  Recently when I looked on my profile, I actually joined the forum and hour and a half after my last cigarette (3/9/18 5:30am).  I honestly don't even remember that...I thought I had joined before that.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling.  I really didn't even plan on quitting that day.  My quit date set was 3/19 and I woke up, had that first cigarette and thought "What the h*ll am I waiting for????"  I spent over 35 years smoking and was just done with it.  I was so angry about wasting all that time, money, energy for all those years and I just kept that anger fueled until I didn't care about smoking anymore (which took me about 14 months).  My husband still smokes and I get angry every time I buy him cigarettes because he's wasting our money.

And don't think because you're still feeling healthy that the smoking isn't taking a toll on your health.  Last December, I developed asthma out of the blue after not smoking for almost 4 years.  I went into respiratory distress twice and had to call EMS to get me to the hospital.  It wasn't until I started seeing a pulmonology doctor that I found out I had asthma.  Just happy it isn't COPD and/or emphysema, but it could have been.  It will catch up with you at some point.

You will figure out when you're ready to do this and we will still be here for you when you do.

In reply toRe: msg 26
candrew

Aug-16

I blew away a post that I was working on for the past hour. Oh well, here is a UTube l link that you may be interested in.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=youtube+quit+smoking&qs=SC&pq=utube+quit+smoking+&sk=SC2&sc=3-19&cvid=D9047941AA0741A894908994E55C678E&FORM=QBLH&sp=3

We are here for you. Stand srtong1

Andrew

In reply toRe: msg 29
candrew

Aug-16

I'll look.

Andrew