About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cravings all of a sudden   General Chit-Chat

Started Nov-13 by xvaper; 454 views.
xvaper

Nov-13

Hi fellow quitters,

I am 4.5 months into my quit. Recently I had more triggers, after months of having little to none. I had a couple of dreams, and a big trigger at a party. I have been to several parties and have been around smokers over the time, and had no desire to smoke. But at the one a few days ago, I saw a pack that I could have easily taken one out of, to "take with me" so that my friends wont see me smoking after the whole "I quit smoking" declarations. I entertained the thought. But then I reminded myself that if I smoke this one, I will go to the store to get more right away. I don't feel I was in any real danger, I wouldn't have taken it either way, but I am bothered by the existence of these thoughts. Why do they pop in now?

In reply toRe: msg 1
oxanquits

Nov-13

“I entertained the thought” is what catches my attention in your post. Why did you entertain the thought, what were you missing at the moment, was it a cigarette or something else, if that was something else why did you think of a cigarette first.
.. was it really so unexpected or you thought about cigarette/noticed cigarettes few times before and that’s why your latest thought was more intense.
There is no one answer why they pop-up, we have to ask ourselves and answers will differ.
My technique is to cut off the thoughts of cigarette when they appear, just to make sure I am not sticking to the relationship which ended, in any subtle way. What is there to think about?

P.s. 8m quit 

• Edited November 13, 2021 6:30 pm  by  oxanquits
xvaper

Nov-13

Thank you for replying. I guess I was letting the thought linger because it was so unexpected and I didn't know quite how to handle it for a few moments. I was at a party with very close friends, some smoke. Ive been around these people many times before during my quit and had no desire to smoke. I didn't even want to smoke when I saw them smoking, but somehow the picture of that pack of cigarettes triggered me. I am always afraid that my Kryptonite is to be left alone with a pack or a lone cigarette. Maybe I was testing myself? Either way, I did not take it, I was very clear with myself that it will never be just the one and after that I was totally fine, but there is a lingering fear..

SusanK1960

Nov-14

OXAN, you are doing so well!  Congratulations on 8 months!  

In reply toRe: msg 3
oxanquits

Nov-14

I guess we have to take it one day/moment at the time still, saying no every time. Maybe it will always be like that but hopefully the random thoughts and fears will fade away.

you managed great this time and you know what to do next time it happens ;)

• Edited November 14, 2021 3:41 am  by  oxanquits
oxanquits

Nov-14

Thank you!!! Have a great Sunday sun_with_face

• Edited November 14, 2021 3:43 am  by  oxanquits
In reply toRe: msg 1
Anne2020

Nov-15

Those thoughts will pop in and out periodically for the rest of your life.  In the first year,  they can be quit intense.  It's almost a "are you sure you want to do this' type of crave.  It is the last ditch efforts to get you reconnected to the nicotine.  I called them tsunamis craves because they were so intense and so abrupt.  But they fade just as all the other craves did.  

Eventually, you will come to a place where only the odd thought pops up, even 20 years later.  You might tempt yourself now and then, thinking oh hey, its just one.  Remember all those who cam before you.  2 years quit relapse, 5 years quit, relapse.  Not even one puff is safe - ever.

Just don't give in and you win.

Great job hanging in there, you are doing great, flexing those non-smoking muscles.  

Cheers         

xvaper

Nov-15

Thank you for the response, it is very helpful. I will keep this in mind if another one comes. There is never just one, I know that. Close friends who quit say after a year they felt home free and now have no interest in it, never even crosses their mind. I hope to get to the same place, in the meantime I will work hard to fend off these thoughts, I do not want to smoke.

In reply toRe: msg 8
Eve1973

Nov-16

Hi X, been a while……glad you are hanging in there!

Just to let you know…….I still get those cravings/thoughts. It’s going to take time. I know you had that one relapse, and you learned from it, so maybe it’s just gonna happen. My philosophy is You don’t have to act on it! And eventually the thought/ crave goes away. Distraction is key!

Hugs……don’t be so hard on yourself!

xvaper

Nov-16

Hi Eve, long time no see :)

thank you for the input it does help to hear from quit seniors haha,

I will keep this in mind next time this happens..